Wigan Model Railway Exhibition

Andy Y

• RMweb Gold

A days work and then home for food and to collect my lovely lady, and then a long drive North through some lovely weather awaits but I will hopefully see some of you in the bar tonight, at breakfast tomorrow or at the show !

Will be there on Sunday, have to go to Stratford on Avon in the mornig to see Mum, but then will be back home to Skem in the evening and ready for Wigan Sunday.

Looking for a couple of bits and pieces, and especially looking forward to seeing Eaton Gomery again (Cambrian and GWR being my thing!)

Edited to add I am also looking forward to lots of the other models, there's a lot of quality lined up here.

Who are you kidding, more like 11.00 til 4.30! Have fun. kev.

Hello Kev.

now what are you saying about me, you know that I'm going out with some fellows that don't drink, Ian, Rick & Adrian.

I've just got my new Carry-more ruck sack I can now get 56 LB in it, I've just got the egg sarnes in at the bottom along with the sleeping bag above them, I'm also returning the length of Flexi track to the retailer that I bought it from last year just as I came through the door, as when I got it home it was bent.

See some of yous in the bar,

OzzyO. :dancing:

PS. just to fit in I've not had a bath for about six weeks, and then had a roll about in the cow field. :nono: :O

Hello Kev.

now what are you saying about me, you know that I'm going out with some fellows that don't drink, Ian, Rick & Adrian.

I've just got my new Carry-more ruck sack I can now get 56 LB in it, I've just got the egg sarnes in at the bottom along with the sleeping bag above them, I'm also returning the length of Flexi track to the retailer that I bought it from last year just as I came through the door, as when I got it home it was bent.

See some of yous in the bar,

OzzyO. :dancing:

PS. just to fit in I've not had a bath for about six weeks, and then had a roll about in the cow field. :nono: :O

Atleast you won't be eating the boiled egg butties to give the halls that extra little j'en a sai quoi

I shall be there hiding behind etched brass kits under construction ,no doubt talking but occaisionally working.

I shall be very near the EMGS signs so come and say hello - we don't bite honest !!

• RMweb Premium

Please, everyone say hello from me (Phil) to Geoff on the Comet stand, as he mostly does these shows on his own. Don't know why? Maybe I should have had a bath this year or could it be my ineptitude with the transactions and cringe making customer service skills?

Have a good time all; at least the weather is good this year.

Phil @ 36E

Attended Saturday - excellent show and well worth the admission. In fact the best 'general' show I can remember attending in years. Congratulations and thanks to all concerned. The missus and me will be there next year if there's anything like a similar quality of layouts. In fact we'll be buying advance tickets and be doing a 'black rod' on the doors at opening time.

Great show.

I arrived at 10:30 to find no queues, but learned later that at opening time the queue was out of the door. At first I thought there was a lack of visitors, but later on it filled up quite a lot.

Layouts - not a duff one in sight. Well presented, operating well, good variety and showing loads of skill all round.

Trade - plenty - from RTR to the most obscure components. Looking round I could have furnished the layout several times over with no problem. And thanks to Derek Russan of Eileen's for putting up with questions about the airbrush.

Highpoint for someone - Dean Sidings has just taken delivery of the bits for the Adams Radial body.

Demonstrators - what can I say - just expertise all round. Thanks from me especially to Alan Mellor (I think) building track and the guy demonstrating his techniques and materials for making trees (Geoff Kent??). Is going to save me (in order) a load of time and a load of money. And to the guys demonstrating making 7mm wagon loads from scrap. Ditto for the saving money.

One thing - the lighting in the main hall was not conducive to the autofocus on the camera - the photons had gone on holiday. Where layouts and displays didn't have their own lighting it was a bit dim. But nothing as bad as the NEC.

If you're going tomorrow, enjoy. If you went today, hope you found it as pleasurable as I did, If you can't go, you're missing a good one.

P.S. Can't go next year as the dates are changing so there's close clashes. It's not fair to deprive her of my company any more in the summer.

Best exhibition I have attended in ages and a fantastic set of trade stands, well worth the 200 mile round trip. Will certainly be back next year.

Where were the pies in the catering area though? Anyway must get back to the GCR S1 0.8.4 etched tank loco kit I bought.

• RMweb Premium

Well back from Wigan after what I feel was a very good exhibition.

I was asked to give a brief view of this years exhibition. So here goes.

It is very difficult to pick out a best layout as we all have different interests and modelling standards, but as I was asked to comment by Eaton here goes.

I am going to ignore scale but concentrate on what I feel make good exhibition layouts that entertains and stimulates us all to get modelling.

The first one which gets my vote will be Oldham King Street Parcels as it just oozes atmosphere and there is always something moving to keep the visitors attention. if you were frame it and take a black and white picture you would think it was real.

Another layout which I have never seen before was Kepier Colliery, and here once again it totally captured the atmosphere and as one of the team that operates our own New Haden Colliery layout I know the hours that have been put in to building such a layout. I understand this is the first exhibition layout built by John Cook that is some class act to follow John!

I think Crumley & Little Wickhill captures its intended location and the viewing angles pin point your eyes to the layout and you could almost be looking down the valley. I am sure the idea will be copied by future modellers

Pempoul is yet another great layout and what you have to remember is everything you see is scratch built to the highest level

It was also nice to see a couple of old favourites make a re appearance Striven & New Mills with I think in both cases new owners

For the layouts that I have not mentioned, they were all of the highest standard with many of them having appeared at a Stafford exhibition or booked for future years.

So if you have not been today. You can always go tomorrow

I know that Steve and his team visit a very large number of exhibitions ( I know because I keep bumping into him) and it is the only way that you attract the best layouts. Well done to all the team

Terry Robinson

Exhibition Manager Stafford

Superb exhibition - and only 2 miles to get to it for me. Even my 11 year old twin girls enjoyed themselves. Many superb layouts, excellent trade / craft stands also. Catering in the third hall good - though no pies (?) & a long quew at lunchtime.

For me, best layout was Gifford Street (O) - though not much running as some derailing / computer glitch occured for a while. Superb long main line on this one. Wish I had a 46' x 16' shed !!!

Others worth mentioning were

East Rode (TT) - A small but honest, rare TT layout. Just like the real thing

Barmouth Bridge (O) - What a superb, BIG, model.

Oldham King St Parcels (O) Allways something going on, good diesel sound & smoking DMU's

Millwall Goods & Arnold Lane (O) Great urban detailing, down to the person sat on the outside loo !!

New Mills (OO) Great multi track layout with constant action - never a dull moment.

Crumley & Little Wickhill (OO9) - Purely for the unusual presentation.

I could go on, but the above made the day for me.

A couple of books from the L&Y & Book Law stands, a green Heljan Falcon body for a tenner (to go on a streched Llima Chassis), few other odds 'n sods, a bacon buttie and cup of tea, home at 4 o'clock.

Plenty of room round the layouts, no crowding, great friendly atmosphere, a "Grand day out". Can't wait for June, Well done Wigan FRM - 100% show.

Brit15

• RMweb Gold

Hi all,

I'm on voice rest tonight after a very busy day talking to lots of people on the DCC demo (stand 93)

The show was packed today and as has been mentioned there is lots to see and do. I have yet to have a look around, too busy today answering questions but everyone I have spoken too is impressed with the layouts and trade.

Looking forward to tomorrow for much of the same.

If you are coming along please stop by for a chat, anything to stop working.

Cheers

Simon

We have worked out the real reason for the date change to June.

It will save them a fortune not having to buy Christmas Cards for all the exhibitors. :scratchhead: :scratchhead: :scratchhead:

I shall be there hiding behind etched brass kits under construction ,no doubt talking but occaisionally working.

I shall be very near the EMGS signs so come and say hello - we don't bite honest !!

Turns out that we are Nowhere near the EMGS signs but actually in Hall 2 number 91/92

• RMweb Gold

Yes. Another great show at Wigan.

Gifford street computer problems - turned out to be a failed USB cable and all was working properly in the afternoon after we had left. However the layout was still running fine without the wireless control in the morning.

Ian

Due to other commitments I was only able to attend on Saturday to help with operating Harton Gill.

There has been an important change to the layout since its previous outing.

Spot the difference.

Scaleforum:

P1050599as.jpg

Wigan:

P1050613as.jpg

P1050614as.jpg

P1050615as.jpg

Graham and Dave replaced all of the overhead wiring. With the new wires, the pantographs now touch the wire. There were a few teething problems but generally it seems to work fine. It looks much better too.

Next outing will be Model Rail Scotland in February 2012.

Archived