Most atmospheric loco stabling point

South of 1E

Dunfermline in diesel days. Always struck me a way over size for both the place and the number of services it was servicing.

Went once on a Dalescroft Railfans trip to Scotland in the early 70's don't think they had permits for any of the sheds we visited. Staff  wouldn't let us round,very aggressive and threatened to call the Police. A friend was on i think a Brake Van Trip around the area in the 80's when they arrived were told no way were they allowed on site.

Wasn't it also a wagon works brushman47544 ?

• RMweb Premium

On what the locals called the curve by Derby loco works. Diesels waiting to enter works and those being released back in to traffic. Often an eclectic mix of dirty and ex works machines. How times have changed.

• RMweb Premium

What was the traffic source there ? Was it just the docks ? Kinda fail to see how it could support a depot

Some oil tank workings towards Ellesmere Port I think.

Mollington Street had an allocation of shunters (03s) for Birkenhead docks, it serviced locos for traffic to and from the docks, Mollington Street also serviced and stabled motive power for trains from Ellesmere Port East Yard, Stanlow Oil Refinery and UKF traffic from Ince.

Went once on a Dalescroft Railfans trip to Scotland in the early 70's don't think they had permits for any of the sheds we visited. Staff  wouldn't let us round,very aggressive and threatened to call the Police. A friend was on i think a Brake Van Trip around the area in the 80's when they arrived were told no way were they allowed on site.

Wasn't it also a wagon works brushman47544 ?

Townhill had a reputation as difficult, with stroppy staff.

Polar opposite to most Scottish sheds.

I wonder why?

I never visited Townhill, mainly because it was a long walk from Dunfermline station (50 minutes, according to the Locoshed Book). Ironically, now that the depot is long closed, there is a station much nearer ! (Dunfermline Queen Margaret).

• RMweb Gold

Voila: (Oct 84)

post-18087-0-84400500-1507929158.jpg

Mollington Street had an allocation of shunters (03s) for Birkenhead docks, it serviced locos for traffic to and from the docks, Mollington Street also serviced and stabled motive power for trains from Ellesmere Port East Yard, Stanlow Oil Refinery and UKF traffic from Ince.

I never visited Townhill, mainly because it was a long walk from Dunfermline station (50 minutes, according to the Locoshed Book). Ironically, now that the depot is long closed, there is a station much nearer ! (Dunfermline Queen Margaret).

Went around Townhill twice , once when a friend and his father who drove us to Scotland from Wales and once on a organized trip , bloke at the depot said no way , but changed his mind when a bottle of whiskey and some Scottish notes were past his way , I won't name the society I went with , but we had one permit for a depot in Scotland which was copied and tipexed out with other depot names typed in ! This included St Rollex works !

Archived