Most photographed railway location in Britain

If one is talking about the most photographed locations, then they are probably those on preserved lines. But if we are talking throughout the history of railways excluding preservation, then things look different. Conway Arch, West end of York station or Leeds. Birmingham New Street, Manchester Victoria, Wavertree, Sonning Cutting, Battledown Flyover, Midford Viaduct, Masbury Summit, Kenton, Millers Dale, Shap, Bromsgrove......

Guest Natalie Graham

Judging by the number of old photos and postcards of LNWR and LMS trains passing by I think Bushey Troughs must be up there.

If one is talking about the most photographed locations, then they are probably those on preserved lines. But if we are talking throughout the history of railways excluding preservation, then things look different. Conway Arch, West end of York station or Leeds. Birmingham New Street, Manchester Victoria, Wavertree, Sonning Cutting, Battledown Flyover, Midford Viaduct, Masbury Summit, Kenton, Millers Dale, Shap, Bromsgrove......

True enough, but you could also add the Royal Albert Bridge.

How could I forget the Royal Albert Bridge.... :) Bushey and other places were often made famous because of the activities of just one photographer....Ivo Peters, Blenkinsop, Treacy, Good, Morris, Herbert, Earley, Wallis, Lewis, Anderson, Morten, Ransome-Wallis and so on. Whilst some got around a bit, they more often than not covered their own patch.

• RMweb Premium

Surely it's got to be somewhere that non-train enthusiasts take pictures, which excludes the likes of Nuneaton! :)

Maybe the Betjeman statue at St Pancras or Paddington Bear at Paddington? Or one of the big bridges - Forth Bridge or the Royal Albert. Otherwise I'd suggest the biggest station on which ever preserved railway gets the most visitors.

Happy modelling.

Steven B.

If we are talking about general locations rather than narrowing it down to an actual location then York as a whole must be very high up the list. If you combine the NRM, Holgate bridge, the Scarborough Steam services and the amount of services that go through there in a general day there is plenty to snap for both enthusiasts and tourist's alike.

Surely it's got to be somewhere that non-train enthusiasts take pictures, which excludes the likes of Nuneaton! :)

Maybe the Betjeman statue at St Pancras or Paddington Bear at Paddington? Or one of the big bridges - Forth Bridge or the Royal Albert. Otherwise I'd suggest the biggest station on which ever preserved railway gets the most visitors.

Happy modelling.

Steven B.

One summer weekend in the late 1990's I ran a bookstand at Corfe Castle station, and decided to carry out my own 'survey' for 3 hours on the Sunday, I asked every person who stopped at the stand if they were railway enthusiasts - only 10% said yes, but most adults were carrying cameras.

Archived