Most photographed railway location in Britain

Judging by the number of times I've seen tourists with cameras around it, I would say the platform 9 3/4 sign at Kings Cross has got to be a current contender!

If we are talking about pictures of trains, Teignmouth/Dawlish area is a good call. Others that never seem to get tired are Ribblehead and Blea Moor on the S&C, plus the more popular shots in the Barnetby/Melton Ross area.

Mike

• RMweb Premium

I reckon OP nailed it in one.

Over many years this has been such a hugely popular spot for railway photos. The Platform 9¾ sign at Kings Cross has only been there a very few years.

Other contenders - when we take into account the full span of the railway era - might be Tebay, Shap Summit, Scout Green, Ribblehead, Blea Moor and Dandry Mire. I suspect in terms of total images captured few of those even come close to the Dawlish sea wall and the shot at Teignmouth in particular.

• RMweb Premium

I reckon OP nailed it in one.

Over many years this has been such a hugely popular spot for railway photos. The Platform 9¾ sign at Kings Cross has only been there a very few years.

Other contenders - when we take into account the full span of the railway era - might be Tebay, Shap Summit, Scout Green, Ribblehead, Blea Moor and Dandry Mire. I suspect in terms of total images captured few of those even come close to the Dawlish sea wall and the shot at Teignmouth in particular.

You also need to consider locations that have lots of photos taken of them and incidentally contain a railway. In this respect things like the channel tunnel terminal will be quite high with people taking photos of the start of their holiday etc.

Well, there's a golf course and a mini theme park at Dawlish Warren - maybe they're demonstrating their putting stance? Or there's a child's buggy and one of the adults is rummaging for something, as you do.

The Teignmouth location is about 10 minutes walk from my house, and virtually every tourist on the sea wall seems to take the picture, so it's not just railway enthusiasts.

What are those three people doing in the left background to the left of that line of parked cars? Any ideas? Sorry! It just caught my eye.....

:D

Bigger version (go to 'XL' if it hasn't done it already):

http://ukrailwaypics.smugmug.com/UKRailwayPics-1/First-Great-Western/First-Great-Western-HSTs/16162306_KpDKVh#1230347520_SAAk5-XL-LB

I think it's a couple, woman with buggy, bloke bending over holding the hand of a small child - and a third person, possibly with them, possibly not, in mid stride.

• RMweb Gold

The pic in the OP is at Teignmouth, of a London bound HST swinging onto the sea wall - post 2 is a shot of an Westbound HST passing Dawlish Warren - the other end of the sea side running section.

Thanks for that - I would have recognised the actual sea wall stretch, but wasn't aware of the high overbridge at the west/south end.

Now I live very close to it, Holgate railway bridge (immediately south of York) from the racecourse platforms appears to have been very popular until the platforms went. Backtrack for example frequently has shots taken there, including colour pre-war. And York station is probably a good contender with the number of photographers present every time a special turns up - which can be several times a day.

Paul Bartlett

Its difficult to say. I would imagine that everyone who goes trainspotting in the South West would want to take pictures along the sea wall but how many actually venture there for this purpose, considering the sparse traffic seen.

I would suggest a lot more people head towards high volume routes for their days out so would suggest the likes of London Termini, Bristol TM, Newport, York, Doncaster, Crewe, Preston or Carlisle.

Archived