Bachmann Mk1 suburbans

Downer

• RMweb Premium

Picked up a couple of the new lined maroon suburbans today. Still no NEM pockets, but the coupling is closer than it used to be, and I'm looking forward to seeing how they look with the new Shawplan laserglaze. Am I right in thinking that for my 1957-60 modelling period I should repaint the maroon ends black?

The maroon livery on non-gangwayed stock was also unlined until around 1959. Maroon had replaced crimson in 1956 but there would still have been crimson stock around in 1960, so a mixed livery set would be prototypical for 1957-60.

Yep, that's my excuse. I have a bunch from the early unlined maroon batch and just picked up 4 lined ones. I like motley rakes - so much more interesting. I need to be on the lookout for some of the Airfix LMS suburbans to add even more interest.

John

and I'm looking forward to seeing how they look with the new Shawplan laserglaze.

Not one of the latest release but earlier lined maroon showing the difference fitting new glazing makes linked here:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/22241-shawplans-new-blog-extreme-2mmn-gauge-4mm-heritage-news/page__view__findpost__p__500047

Easily brings them up to the same standard as the corridor stock as the base moulding is already very good.

Funnily enough Coach there was a Replica suburban on the Comet stand as an etch side demonstrator..

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Deciding that four coaches would look better than three - what a surprise! - I went back to buy a second BT, and, on reaching home, discoved that both 34-627B and 34-630 have the same running number, E43133. Not a big deal, of course, but I'm curious - did I just get a wrongly packed example, or do they really all carry the same number?

• RMweb Premium

Deciding that four coaches would look better than three - what a surprise! - I went back to buy a second BT, and, on reaching home, discoved that both 34-627B and 34-630 have the same running number, E43133. Not a big deal, of course, but I'm curious - did I just get a wrongly packed example, or do they really all carry the same number?

Looking at the photos on hattons website http://www.ehattons.com/38552/Bachmann_UK_34_627B_BR_Standard_Mk1_57ft_suburban_brakend_coach_in_BR_maroon_/StockDetail.aspx, it looks like 34-627B is numbered E43132, so perhaps yours is wrongly packed.

• 1 year later...
  • RMweb Premium

Does anyone know how dimensionally accurate the Bachmann Mk1 suburbans are? They look on the small side when placed against the Hornby Gresley & Thompsons, but I haven't found a photo (yet) to compare.

Thanks in anticipation

Ralph

Lambton58

Does anyone know how dimensionally accurate the Bachmann Mk1 suburbans are? They look on the small side when placed against the Hornby Gresley & Thompsons, but I haven't found a photo (yet) to compare.

Thanks in anticipation

Ralph

Lambton58

The Bachmann suburbans are the short MK1's are on a 57ft underframe and I think they a fairly accurate - I have rather a lot of them as they form the bassis of my Class 501 EMU's!

XF

• RMweb Premium

The Bachmann suburbans are the short MK1's are on a 57ft underframe and I think they a fairly accurate - I have rather a lot of them as they form the bassis of my Class 501 EMU's!

XF

Thanks XF, that's useful to know. I've been trawling through Robert CWPs photostream * on Flickr and there's a few suggestions in there that the MK1s were a bit shorter lower than the LNER carriages.

* which is an absolutely super set of photos - well worth a browse.

Ralph

Lambton58

edited for clarity - it was the height rather than the length that I was curious about

I had eight of these but I didn't think much of the underframes. They are, in fact, from the previous, non NEM pocket, generation. I decided to improve the underframes by transplanting Comet components. Here's how I did it:

http://preview.tinyurl.com/ckzmwe7

In the event, it was a LOT of work, but the end result is quite pleasing. I only did four and sold the other four to a clubmate.

John

Guest Max Stafford

I combined the body of a brake 2nd with the underframe of a new generation BG and glazed it with Shawplan parts. Looks pretty reasonable to my eyes.

Dave.

Does anyone know how dimensionally accurate the Bachmann Mk1 suburbans are? ...

They scale for 57' long, and look just like the rusting and creaking old junk that once bumped us up and down to the Smoke. I can still feel the freezing jets of air on a morning like today that came through the rusted out door bottoms and shot straight up your trouser legs.

Roof height and width both look to be correct too, (never bothered to measure these) and they integrate well with the new shorter Gresley and Thompson introductions. As already remarked, a little work makes a big improvement; glazing, buffers, coupling arrangements the areas I have done. A basic model for what was a very basic concept in coach stock at the time of building seems somehow appropriate.

Did these coaches only run around the London area?

I model the NE region of BR in the late 60's and got some in lieu of any decent Gresly or Thompson suburbans but thats all changed now.....

I've yet to finish lining mine and they have Black ends which, reading above looks like mine should have Maroon ends.....

Doh!

Cheers.

Sean.

They scale for 57' long, and look just like the rusting and creaking old junk that once bumped us up and down to the Smoke. I can still feel the freezing jets of air on a morning like today that came through the rusted out door bottoms and shot straight up your trouser legs.

Surely a quality travel experience, I can't understand your problem! :jester:

XF

Guest Max Stafford

At least it was more comfortable than a Voyager.*

Dave.

*other shoddily built, impractical, noisy and hideously uncomfortable pieces of junk are available.

• RMweb Premium

Thanks chaps. I find myself in a similar position to Penguin of Doom,

Did these coaches only run around the London area?

I model the NE region of BR in the late 60's and got some in lieu of any decent Gresly or Thompson suburbans ....

except that I model* the region in the late 50s and the new Gresley and Thompson brakes have now all but sold out!

But I have a couple of Mk1 brakes and a Kirk Gresley kit. I guess it might make more sense to build the latter.

(* a very lose term describing the glacial like progress of my modelling )

Ralph

Lambton58

Archived