RMweb

YORK 'Leaman Road' MPD - LNER 1938

Guest 2750

• RMweb Premium

Regarding Darnall and the Sheffield Victoria-York train, it looks like it's going to be B1 hauled then.

I don't recall seeing Sheffield D11s at York but they certainly ran into Hull. I saw a number of D11s there. We're talking late forties here.

ArthurK

Now that photo of the A3 - Neil Gow - is as good a picture of a model as I've seen. That angle really does just emphasise the sheer majesty of these things.

Couldn't agree more; that is one awesome photograph that I don't think even the great Mr Wright could have bettered. Thanks for sharing it.

Couldn't agree more; that is one awesome photograph that I don't think even the great Mr Wright could have bettered. Thanks for sharing it.

You are too kind LNER4479. I've admired Mr Wright's photography and especially his modelling of the Eastern for some time!

I think I might stick that one in the gallery! :)

Many Thanks

I don't recall seeing Sheffield D11s at York but they certainly ran into Hull. I saw a number of D11s there. We're talking late forties here.

ArthurK

Hello Arthur

I have a photo in the Bellcode Book 'YORK' of Prince Albert working into York. The description makes out it is just after the re-signalling of 1951. The fact is Darnall didn't get the D11s untill 1957/58 so the photos must be much later than 1951.

Immingham had them before 1950 so I'm guessing these would be the ones working into Hull. From mid 50 they were all on the CLC.

What it is Tom is the knowledge that I can never Physically experience the Steam era in the way people at the time did. I haven't lived around them, become used to them, in essance a steam shed is not "normal" to me. When ever I look at photos, or read books, or whatch videos of the times I get a burst of nostalgia like anybody else, but theres always the slight sadness that I am looking at world that I was never and will never be part of.

What it is Tom is the knowledge that I can never Physically experience the Steam era in the way people at the time did. I haven't lived around them, become used to them, in essance a steam shed is not "normal" to me. When ever I look at photos, or read books, or whatch videos of the times I get a burst of nostalgia like anybody else, but theres always the slight sadness that I am looking at world that I was never and will never be part of.

You have summed up my feelings exactly scots region. I feel exactly the same way and that was precisely the reason why I created Leaman Road. A way I could see these wonderful machines lumbering around their shed. Although it might be OO and Peco Code 75, I intend to Leaman Road to be as close to an LNER MPD as it can! :)

I think it's pretty much there isn't it Tom? Locomotives, suitably grimed and crewed, the shed itself and the outlying buildings and the stage all adding to the atmosphere.

The more I look at Leaman Road, the more I wish I had the space to do something as clearly defined and well executed like it.

I think it's pretty much there isn't it Tom? Locomotives, suitably grimed and crewed, the shed itself and the outlying buildings and the stage all adding to the atmosphere.

The more I look at Leaman Road, the more I wish I had the space to do something as clearly defined and well executed like it.

Thank you Simon. This is why I like doing the photographs, particular the very low angle ones. I think the layout is starting to achieve the right look, and hearing others agree is just helps back up we are on the right track. :yes:

Tom,

Yes, you are certainly on the right ttrack. What is more amazing is that not having experienced it in reality, you have really captured the atmosphere as it was.

I know 'cos I was there !!!! 1947 onwards, up until about 1955, was my railway world. I experienced the 1948 Loco Exchanges, living close to the old GC main line from Manchester London Road to Marylebone. I never managed to "do" York sheds although I spent many an hour on the station. Most of my shed "bunking" was in the Manchester area, but trips to other places took place. Sheffield, Leeds, Doncaster, Retford and York to the East and North and Crewe, Preston, Chester and Liverpool to the West and South (OK, Preston is also to the north). In those days, steam sheds were pretty much the same except in size. The main difference was in the locos which used them. The atmosphere was always the same: exciting, dirty, and some would say dangerous, although I never heard of anyone being hurt. I stick my neck out here and say that we were more careful about what we did and how we did it.

Please keep the pics coming. The low level shots are very realistic. Bear in mind that we were mostly between 10 and 16 or 17 years old, which meant that the locos really did tower over us from ground level.

gresley

Never got round KX, Doncaster was a regular, York about every 6 months, when we could afford the train fare, the Plant every 6 months when my dad's school went round.

Finally managed to get round Gateshead, but it was closed to steam :scratchhead:

Tom,

Yes, you are certainly on the right ttrack. What is more amazing is that not having experienced it in reality, you have really captured the atmosphere as it was.

I know 'cos I was there !!!! 1947 onwards, up until about 1955, was my railway world. I experienced the 1948 Loco Exchanges, living close to the old GC main line from Manchester London Road to Marylebone. I never managed to "do" York sheds although I spent many an hour on the station. Most of my shed "bunking" was in the Manchester area, but trips to other places took place. Sheffield, Leeds, Doncaster, Retford and York to the East and North and Crewe, Preston, Chester and Liverpool to the West and South (OK, Preston is also to the north). In those days, steam sheds were pretty much the same except in size. The main difference was in the locos which used them. The atmosphere was always the same: exciting, dirty, and some would say dangerous, although I never heard of anyone being hurt. I stick my neck out here and say that we were more careful about what we did and how we did it.

Please keep the pics coming. The low level shots are very realistic. Bear in mind that we were mostly between 10 and 16 or 17 years old, which meant that the locos really did tower over us from ground level.

gresley

Thankyou for such a lovely response Stuart. I think Tim's wonderfully devised trackplan has certainly helped towards that feel with it being a prototypical plan which allows locomotives on and off shed with ease.

Getting the feel right was something I wanted to get right from start, as I feel some MPD layouts can look a bit sterile. I wanted the beauty to be in the dirt and grime. As you all know, I was born 17 years after the end of steam, so my knowledge relies on books, magazines and DVDs plus the knowledge from those that did see it, in particular Gilbert (great northern) and Mike (Mikemegs) who's help has been paramount!

It's lovely reading this thread and seeing the amount of support and enjoyment it is creating.

Thanks guys, the next 12 months will be very interesting for Leaman Road with some very wondeful and much required locomotives coming out of Tim's workbench! :)

Cheers

I raised the query about the Normanton outpost of 50A on here, as the query was one which Tom raised, especially as York's only Q5 (by 1950) was shown allocated to this location. Various folk (and many thanks to you) have responded on PM's and have pointed out that the locos shown as 50A (N) were actually shedded at the London Midland Region depot, which was 20D in 1950; there was no separate North Eastern shed. What was Normanton depot was, originally, a joint L&Y/North Eastern shed pre-grouping, the old Midland roundhouse being demolished in the 1930's to make way for enlargements to the shed facilities.

Whether and when these locos might have appeared at their parent shed (50A) isn't clear but, one imagines, anything more than routine servicing might have necessitated a trip 'back to base'.

Cheers

Mike

Thanks for posting Mike. So it IS Normanton that is referred to when it says 50A(N), how interesting. The other sub sheds seem to make sense, but this one does seem a little strange.

Referring back to what Mike was talking about regarding Normanton, that as well as being a LMR shed, it was used as a sub shed of York.

I had a look through my 1947 Railway Atlas. It appears although Normanton was very much a LMR shed, it lies very close to the Eastern Region and the lines towards Doncaster and York, so I guess it does make some sense!

Arrival in the post yesterday, Book of LM Garrats! Oh yes, 50A will be having a visiting Hasland Garrat!

They were regulars Jeff. Mostly coal trains from the Toton area.

Indeed, although looking at photos it appears that it's mostly the Hasland based Garratts that got to York. Reference is made to a train bound for Teesside which was Garratt hauled with the loco coming off at York. :)

When did the trains stop? Or when did they stop using Garratts?

The trains would most likely have used a 9F once the Garratts started to decline in numbers.

I used to go to York from 1962, but never saw a Garratt.

No surprise there Jeff, as the last stragglers went in 1958. :)

HTH,

Found it, 'British Railway Goods Wagons in Colour' - Robert Hendry, page 36, ironstone empties at Copmanthorpe - Skinningrove to Desborough.

Edit to add Link

Wow! Thanks for the link Paul! Super colour photo for 1948, plus LMS numbers :O much appreciated. Must have been an odd site seeing one of these LMS Garratts skulking on to the shed.

I thought I'd share some thoughts/plans for some of the buildings on Leaman Road. Tim and I were discussing this subject last week and it was suggested maybe to have specially designed buildings/structures on Leaman Road. So I've contacted 'York Model Making LTD' who shall laser cut the parts to my design.

I've taken this to the next stage by looking at the surviving railway structures left in York. The first stage will be a new locomotive shed which incorporates the York architecture.

To give an idea, the new Leaman Road engine shed will look very similar to the Queen Street buildings (seen below) that can still be seen near York Station.

2886052756_77a56cdf9a.jpg

FTR - QUEEN STREET BRIDGE by CARLOS62, on Flickr

RMweb member James, has kindly agreed to do the engineer drawings after Christmas, which can then be sent to York Model Making to laser cut.

We are also looking at other surrounding buildings to be incorporated into the surrounding area around the Shed, plus the layouts scenic break. This will take the form of a road bridge, although the design of which we haven't discussed yet. Once again it will be a case of looking a NER architecture for inspiration.

It's not actually as big as you might think - but the way its presented means it has a very nice feeling of space :)

Tom, I hope I haven't just destroyed the illusion!

It's not actually as big as you might think - but the way its presented means it has a very nice feeling of space :)

Tom, I hope I haven't just destroyed the illusion!

Haha, nah! ;)

Personally I always thought it looked 14ft long, but I suppose thats because I've been watching it take shape. That engine shed is certainly going to look rather good though! ;)

Archived