YORK 'Leaman Road' MPD - LNER 1938

Guest 2750

As promised, a couple of photos of Leaman Road from today.

This photo was staged with the help of Mike, almost like the B1 and B16 make the frame of the photo with the A4 as the centrepiece....or are the two 4-6-0s the real focus of the picture, with the A4 as just something in the background. I'll let you decide! ;)

post-6764-0-71348400-1346700710_thumb.jpg

Tenders of 60127 and 61107 in the foreground while we see 61084 being prepared for her next working.

post-6764-0-44426900-1346700702_thumb.jpg

Nice. I have to admit to being intrigued with photos of steam locos, when you could make out the tender of another or the boiler of another, in the background, and wondering what it was.

Nice. I have to admit to being intrigued with photos of steam locos, when you could make out the tender of another or the boiler of another, in the background, and wondering what it was.

Hi Jeff

You have hit the nail on the head why I like taking these kind of photos! :yes:

As promised, a couple of photos of Leaman Road from today.

This photo was staged with the help of Mike, almost like the B1 and B16 make the frame of the photo with the A4 as the centrepiece....or are the two 4-6-0s the real focus of the picture, with the A4 as just something in the background. I'll let you decide! ;)

post-6764-0-71348400-1346700710_thumb.jpg

I think the engineman is the real focus of the photo :)

I think the engineman is the real focus of the photo :)

I would agree with you there. Where would these machines be without the men who spent long hours in a dirty environment and worked a generally hard career over a 30-40 year period!

I would agree with you there. Where would these machines be without the men who spent long hours in a dirty environment and worked a generally hard career over a 30-40 year period!

There is a book - 'The Last day of the LNER', which details the allocations of all LNER locomotives on 31st December 1947 - which includes some lovely photos and captions. One such photo shows a guy emptying the smokebox of a V2 and the caption ends with 'the lives of countless men wore on through an endless toil of shovelling.'

Beautiful as these machines were and are, it's easy to lose sight of just how demanding their upkeep could be.

Cheers

Mike

If you ignore the fact 60127 isn't named, this is quite a plausible photo with Blue and Green together circa 1951-1952

post-6764-0-51921600-1346489047_thumb.jpg

Tom - not a criticism I hasten to add - but red cylinder lining? Otherwise, brilliant.

Do you put Klear on first to get the sheen of the blue, and then waft metal cote gunmetal over the top? It's very effective, particularly on the A4.

Tom - not a criticism I hasten to add - but red cylinder lining?

Yes, red lining on the cylinders is completely right....for 60127. Reference photos show this (Power of the A1s and Book of A1s and A2s) plus this quote from RCTS.

Regarding BR Blue Livery on Doncaster built A1s:

'Nos. 60128/9 were painted and lined similarly when new, as were Nos. 60153-62 built subsequently, except for the lining on the cylinders which was applied only to No 60127'

Tim lined the cylinders when he was up at mine, and he Kleared her, while I renumbered her and weathered her. Seen as your question is regarding 60005, which Tim did all the work on, I'll let him answer. :)

Yes, red lining on the cylinders is completely right....for 60127. Reference photos show this (Power of the A1s and Book of A1s and A2s) plus this quote from RCTS.

Regarding BR Blue Livery on Doncaster built A1s:

'Nos. 60128/9 were painted and lined similarly when new, as were Nos. 60153-62 built subsequently, except for the lining on the cylinders which was applied only to No 60127'

Tim lined the cylinders when he was up at mine, and he Kleared her, while I renumbered her and weathered her. Seen as your question is regarding 60005, which Tim did all the work on, I'll let him answer. :)

That is a brilliant variant. Nicely done too, I stand happily corrected. :)

That is a brilliant variant. Nicely done too, I stand happily corrected. :)

Isn't it just! :yes:

When I discovered this variant last year, I knew I had to have it. As she is Heaton locomotive she would have worked into York. So I had not choice on the matter! :mosking:

Tom - not a criticism I hasten to add - but red cylinder lining? Otherwise, brilliant.

As Tom has said above, it was definitely a loco that just had to be done, especially it being the first A1 to be painted new in blue. I first tried the double red lining on the LNER lining sheet, but that was almost invisible so I used HMRS sheet 22 (BR mixed traffic).

Do you put Klear on first to get the sheen of the blue, and then waft metal cote gunmetal over the top? It's very effective, particularly on the A4.

I do, yes, but it does depend on the effect each loco requires. There's very little left of what got put on, which is the whole point of the exercise!

This film explains just how much maintenance of your average steam loco in the 1950s was required -

https://www.youtube....h?v=9fWnjd2eftY

Now multiply that by around 16,000 working locos (give or take) and you get to see the big picture!

Cracking video. I think I've seen it before, part of the BTF collection isn't it?

Really does make you realise what a labour intensive job it was, and sadly one of the reasons I'm sure for steam's demise.

You know when you have your heart set on something, then your hopes are dashed. Well I've had that regarding the Bachmann D11. I knew Darnall had them at somepoint and as a GCR Shed I presumed they were there throughout the 1950's.

Wrong!

Through checking my allocation books and the recent post by Gilbert in the D11 thread, it seems that they moved from Immingham to the Chesire Lines Commitee in 1950 which rules them out for me.

It looks like my Sheffield-York service will be in the hands of B1s, although I see Darnall had a couple of C13s. Would these bee too small for this kind of service?

You know when you have your heart set on something, then your hopes are dashed. Well I've had that regarding the Bachmann D11. I knew Darnall had them at somepoint and as a GCR Shed I presumed they were there throughout the 1950's.

Wrong!

Through checking my allocation books and the recent post by Gilbert in the D11 thread, it seems that they moved from Immingham to the Chesire Lines Commitee in 1950 which rules them out for me.

It looks like my Sheffield-York service will be in the hands of B1s, although I see Darnall had a couple of C13s. Would these bee too small for this kind of service?

The C13's (and C14's) were ex Great Central 4-4-2 tank locomotives, rated 2P, so probably employed on local passenger trains to/from Sheffield Victoria and latterly, possibly, station pilots. Unlikely, I would have thought, to have undertaken workings from Sheffield to York; more likely to have been a tender loco.

The Q5, allocated to York in 1950 but shown as 50A (N). In 1950, York seems to have had a sub-shed (or even outstation) at Normanton, where its sole Q5 - 63270 - was based. This would appear to be a different location from Normanton shed (London Midland Region) which was coded 20 D. Three J71's (68238, 68292 and 68294) were also shown as allocated to this Normanton sub shed.

I'm guessing, here, but I wonder if these were all based at a particular colliery, somewhere in the Castleford, Normanton area? Anyone know where this York sub shed actually was?

Cheers

Mike

The C13's (and C14's) were ex Great Central 4-4-2 tank locomotives, rated 2P, so probably employed on local passenger trains to/from Sheffield Victoria and latterly, possibly, station pilots. Unlikely, I would have thought, to have undertaken workings from Sheffield to York; more likely to have been a tender loco.

The Q5, allocated to York in 1950 but shown as 50A (N). In 1950, York seems to have had a sub-shed (or even outstation) at Normanton, where its sole Q5 - 63270 - was based. This would appear to be a different location from Normanton shed (London Midland Region) which was coded 20 D. Three J71's (68238, 68292 and 68294) were also shown as allocated to this Normanton sub shed.

I'm guessing, here, but I wonder if these were all based at a particular colliery, somewhere in the Castleford, Normanton area? Anyone know where this York sub shed actually was?

Cheers

Mike

The whole York (N) i.e Normanton sub shed is rather interesting yet perplexing! I know we discussed this Mike when you were at mine. I found other information on the web, and it does appear that N stands for Normanton, but all I can find throughout my books is Normanton LMR MPD.

Regarding Darnall and the Sheffield Victoria-York train, it looks like it's going to be B1 hauled then.

Hi Jeff

You have hit the nail on the head why I like taking these kind of photos! :yes:

I well remember arriving at the gates to the "Plant", at the end of Flowitt Street, in 1963 to be told that "Mallard" was on. I was told you could see her, but another loco had moved up. I was also told, in no uncertain terms, that I MUST NOT write down her number in my book until I could verify it for myself, or be for ever lablled "the boy who cribbed "Mallard". :scratchhead:

I ventured in past the iron gates. Took another step, then another, ... and the gateman popped out of his office. :nono:

What did I think I was doing? Well, I tried to explain, expecting to be summarily kicked out, (and in those days, you were lucky if an ACTUAL kick didn't land on your nether regions on the way out).

To my utter surprise, and the chagrin of my "mates" who set me up, he said, "OK, just far enough to see "Mallard's" cab, no further, then come STRAIGHT back."

I did, and have never forgotten it. All I could see was the cab and number, plus part of the firebox, but it was enough. Another A4 copped.

I decided to take some more figures into the garage from my work bench and take some shots at the same time. :)

What it must have been like as a child to have seen these leviathans resting in their lair! 60977, 60082 and 61084 are seen at rest on 50A.

post-6764-0-22186700-1346847101_thumb.jpg

Owen Tudor receives some attention from one of 50A's cleaners. A foreign loco being cleaned? Must have been a back hander from someone high up at New England!

post-6764-0-00596600-1346847109_thumb.jpg

My iphone camera allows me to get these lovely low shots. 60082 of Gateshead is seen being oiled up by her driver before working an express back to Newcastle.

post-6764-0-91804700-1346847116_thumb.jpg

My favourite shot. I love V2s and 60977 certainly has presence in this shot. I wonder what her fireman is thinking. By the look on his face I thinking he is contemplating the V2s sheer hunger that he is going to have to satisfy once off shed!

post-6764-0-88956200-1346847124_thumb.jpg

I decided to take some more figures into the garage from my work bench and take some shots at the same time. :)

What it must have been like as a child to have seen these leviathans resting in their lair! 60977, 60082 and 61084 are seen at rest on 50A.

post-6764-0-22186700-1346847101_thumb.jpg

I don't know... I shall never know.

I don't know... I shall never know.

Neither will I scots region, I'm only 27 myself, this is my way of imagining what it must have been like!

Love that shot of the V2 Tom. I'm trying to resist the temptation of further V2's until the Christmas/January announcements. Stop making it so hard! :shout:

I'm rather tempted myself, but like yourself David, I'm waiting to see what comes from Hornby and Bachmann next year!

Now that photo of the A3 - Neil Gow - is as good a picture of a model as I've seen. That angle really does just emphasise the sheer majesty of these things.

Cheers

Mike

Thanks Mike! I'm rather pleased with that shot myself, the only thing it's missing is drain cocks.....don't tell anyone! I'm rather short on A3 drain cocks seen as on the old layout I didn't need them, and now they seem to have vanished!

Hi Tom

Nice photos the layout is coming on a treat.

Regarding your comments about seeing locomotives in a motive power depot, those days were fantastic.

I finally managed to get into Kings Cross MPD unofficially at the fourth attempt in early 1963 just before it closed.

Line after line of Gresley, Peppercorn and Thompson Pacific's and other locos as well, the only problem was I was to Bl....dy scared of getting court by the Shed Foreman to enjoy the atmosphere.

It was not a leisurely walk around the depot more like a sprint, still can remember seeing A4's 60022 Mallard and 60023 Golden Eagle (rare Gateshead loco in London) both for the first time.

Keep up the good work.

Regards

David

Archived