RMweb

YORK 'Leaman Road' MPD - LNER 1938

Guest 2750

Some more figures on the workbench. I'm now working through a number of figures from different makes out there, but for detail, Monty's are still the best in my opinion. It makes them easier to paint too when the detail is so defined! I'm also trying to alter the paint mix every 2 or 3 figures so we have overalls in different degrees of wear and fading.

Tom,

Those blokes need to take their overalls home to their wives to give them good scrub and soak (maybe the men as well as their kit) :)

Realistically dirty!

Dave

Monty's Models from Dart Castings. The facial detail is unbelievable in 4mm as is the collars and overall detail!

post-6764-0-17416800-1345635123_thumb.jpg

The two on the left aren't originallly from the Monty's range AFAIK - I had a set which predated Monty's but nice that they're available again!

Its good to see pics of the figures, quite alot of manufactures I find don't have any pictures so you hardly know how good the detail is going to be. Thanks Tom the cleaners look great, despite being a gwr i'm looking forward to your next installment in your youtube series

Dan

Afternoon all!

Nice surprise this morning. The 12 issues of Railway Observer from 1950 arrived. Couple of NE workings of interest, including the B4 'Immingham' as well as D9s on York Shed awaiting to be taken to Darlington for scrapping.

Definitely worth the price of £18! Like my NE Working Time Table from 1950, I do feel you are looking at a time capsule into 1950. :)

Now I better get on with sorting out Leaman Road's WTT!

Cheers

D9s, eh? I have a feeling Mr Edge may be able to at least partially help you there.

Oh dear oh dear Jonathan, you really are throwing temptation in my way!

I'm going to have to started a new list for locomotives I would like, but aren't what we would call bread and butter.

Locos I would like....but don't absolutely need!

K2 (coming and going on shed as she works North light engine to Cowlairs for General)

B4 'Immingham' (seen as she is the last GCR 4-6-0 it would be nice!)

B17 (as March had no V2s in 1950 B17 could have been utilised instead of a K3)

D9 (as made reference to above, apparently were seen on York shed awaiting there journey to Darlington for scrapping)

I'm sure there are more that can be added. I would ask for suggestions...but I fear my poor wallet may give up on me! :mosking:

".........but I fear my poor wallet may give up on me! "

Busking.... it is the only answer :stinker:

Phil (just down the road).

cruel Phil....cruel! ;) are you going to be on the comet stand at Peterborough? I'll be there on the Saturday! :D

Oh dear oh dear Jonathan, you really are throwing temptation in my way!

I'm going to have to started a new list for locomotives I would like, but aren't what we would call bread and butter.

Locos I would like....but don't absolutely need!

K2 (coming and going on shed as she works North light engine to Cowlairs for General)

B4 'Immingham' (seen as she is the last GCR 4-6-0 it would be nice!)

B17 (as March had no V2s in 1950 B17 could have been utilised instead of a K3)

D9 (as made reference to above, apparently were seen on York shed awaiting there journey to Darlington for scrapping)

I'm sure there are more that can be added. I would ask for suggestions...but I fear my poor wallet may give up on me! :mosking:

The one and only K5 - 61863 - allocated to New England, in 1950, but perhaps working a Doncaster - York working on its running in trials after a general overhaul at Doncaster. Might also be one for Gilbert (Peterborough North) in 1958?

There again, the running in trials might have been a Doncaster - Hull working! I've seen mention that some of the new Ivatt 4MT's, built at Doncaster during 1950/51, worked to Hull on such running in trials; equally, they might have worked to York! Hull Dairycoates also had at least one of these allocated in 1950 - 43053.

G5's Tom, probably not working into York but Selby had a few, and Botanic Gardens had quite a few, and they would have passed through York en route to Darlington for overhaul.

Doncaster O2's Tom, on northbound coal workings. And if we're talking coal workings to York, then don't forget the LMS Beyer-Garratts; they certainly worked to York.

You'll have to adopt the old Rugby Union approach to picking teams, Tom; possibles and probables. The possible list is rapidly becoming legion.

Cheers

Mike

The one and only K5 - 61863 - allocated to New England, in 1950, but perhaps working a Doncaster - York working on its running in trials after a general overhaul at Doncaster. Might also be one for Gilbert (Peterborough North) in 1958?

Oh dear Mike....you have really done it this time. I'd wondered about the K5 but had forgotten in my era it was a 35A loco (I think late 50's it was allocated to Stratford). How am I suppose to ignore a K5! :swoon:

Doncaster O2's Tom, on northbound coal workings. And if we're talking coal workings to York, then don't forget the LMS Beyer-Garratts; they certainly worked to York.

The two above are definitely on my agenda :yes: although the latter does give me some concerns, as it wont fit on the fiddle yard turntable! :O

Oh dear Mike....you have really done it this time. I'd wondered about the K5 but had forgotten in my era it was a 35A loco (I think late 50's it was allocated to Stratford). How am I suppose to ignore a K5! :swoon:

There's that spare K3 of yours knocking about.... I think we ought to use that, if you're up for it? ;)

Have plans, will use........

• RMweb Premium

"How am I supposed to ignore a K5"? Repeat to yourself 1000 times " I do not need a K5, I can not justify a K5" If this doesn't do the trick, repeat, while hitting yourself on the head with a block of wood. If that does not work, go online and look at your bank balance. :O Alternatively, make a list of the locos which are more relevant to your location and timescale. I bet it will be a long list too. Then look at your bank balance again......... And join locoholics anonymous. I've just set it up, and its only ten grand to join.

You did say Gilbert, that I could have pretty much anything from Peterborough-Newcastle on Leaman Road! :devil: To late anyhow, Tim is already making plans!

I better call the bank for a loan! :telephone:

Oh dear...I'm going to be shouted down on this one aren't I :(

It's not a completely silly suggestion as the WTT suggests there are a number of freights between Peterborough and York, so it can't be that far out of the question can it???

:music: sorry? What's that...I can't hear you? :blum:

The two above are definitely on my agenda :yes: although the latter does give me some concerns, as it wont fit on the fiddle yard turntable! :O

Thanks to Tim, who has a kit built Garret to hand and after measuring the Fleischmann turntable, I can now say that I can just fit a Garret on the turntable in the Fiddle Yard.

One crisis averted! :locomotive:

Morning all.

As those that read the Peterborough North thread, Gilbert had some visitors! Anyhow I thought I would share a couple of extras taken yesterday, over here in my thread.

Both the 'big blue uns' are seen at Peterborough North

post-6764-0-49116700-1346489033_thumb.jpg

60082 enters the station

post-6764-0-44566800-1346489040_thumb.jpg

If you ignore the fact 60127 isn't named, this is quite a plausible photo with Blue and Green together circa 1951-1952

post-6764-0-51921600-1346489047_thumb.jpg

There are a couple of those fairly close to being finished ;). One of them (3rd pic) is something you cannot buy in the shops..... (well, not yet!)

EDIT: link inserted.....

Indeed Tim and especially for you gresley here she is!

60005 on York Shed. Weathered by Tim from a colour photo from 1950. Grubby not dirty!

post-6764-0-95456600-1346510691_thumb.jpg

Seen as I didn't take any of 50As locos down to Peterborough North with me yesterday, I thought I'd make it up by showing 3 of York's stud of A1s. The Grubbiest 60121 Silurian, 60153 Flamboyant and unamed 60146.

post-6764-0-16118100-1346510699_thumb.jpg

Tom,

Thanks for the extra pics. No 5 was one of the ones I never saw, but still, it makes a nice subject. Those A1s in Blue and Green are absolutely spot on as well.

Regarding your comments on the B 16s, I have just told Gilbert that he MUST have one. See my info on his site regarding 61410.

Stuart

Tom

where any of the Garter Blue A4s with British Railways on the tender still around in 1950. I was watching decades of steam, the 1940s yesterday and thought of your layout.

Hi Steve, A4s were very much having the new livery applied in 1950, but even by mid way through 50 there was over half a dozen still in Garter Blue. I don't need many A4s...Top link engine with on the Gateshead and Grantham A4s possibly coming off.

Tom,

Thanks for the extra pics. No 5 was one of the ones I never saw, but still, it makes a nice subject. Those A1s in Blue and Green are absolutely spot on as well.

Regarding your comments on the B 16s, I have just told Gilbert that he MUST have one. See my info on his site regarding 61410.

Stuart

Hi Stuart. Thanks for you nice comments. I've seen your post in Gilbert's thread....and firmly liked it!

Another enjoyable visit from mikemeg today. Once again Mike has been a real source of knowledge and pretty much answered most questions I threw at him. It was rather nice to just enjoy the layout and transport us both back to 1950! Mike agreed, that now it's the smaller classes I need to focus on, D49s, D20s and 0-6-0s of both tank and tender types.

I've taken some photos which Mike helped me line up which I'll post later on once I've cropped etc.

A very enjoyable day! :D

Archived