YORK 'Leaman Road' MPD - LNER 1938

Guest 2750

I'm going to watch these smoke box door mods closely Tom.

I've a feeling I'll need to follow your lessons when I get round to detailing my B1's..... Apparently, it's a minefield.....

Some cracking and inspirational pictures of your layout too.

Cheers.

Sean.

Thanks Sean, I'll help you all I can as there are various types of doors.....it can cause I real headache!

Here is how the O1 currently looks. Ready for having it's smokebox painted.

This is my first type of hacking job so be kind! I will be doing some remedial work with the fibre brush before painting.

post-6764-0-82569900-1358625802_thumb.jpg

I do like those smokebox door handles. I'll be having some of those for sure.

Where are they from? I'm guessing DMR?

I'll be doing the two preserved B1's as well as 61002 Imapla for reasons I'll disclose when I start them.

Nice work so far though Tom. Inspiring indeed.

Cheers.

Sean.

They are smokebox darts from Alan Gibson as is the top smokebox door knob. Very nice castings. :)

Smokebox has had a coat of satin black with my sable No 4. I'll give it another coat before bed and hopefully it will have a smokebox number on tomorrow.

Then it is just a case of cab side renumbering, BRTISH RAILWAYS on tender, 53A shed plate and a healthy does of weathering. 

Cheers

53a..... Where's that?..... He heh.

From what James was telling me Sean, I'm sure you know..... ;)

Have a fantastic photo of her south of Darlington in August 1950. Perfect! :D

Yup. Just down the road at a place near Hessle Haven..... Another loacation we all know I'm sure.

Anywho, darts, that's the correct name as you rightly point out and they look very good indeed. These are the sort of ideas I'm looking for when I get round to starting my steamies so thanks for showing us your progress.

Cheers.

Sean.

Yup. Just down the road at a place near Hessle Haven..... Another loacation we all know I'm sure.

Anywho, darts, that's the correct name as you rightly point out and they look very good indeed. These are the sort of ideas I'm looking for when I get round to starting my steamies so thanks for showing us your progress.

Cheers.

Sean.

I've not been to Hessle Haven, but I know of due to a certain gentlemen of this parish who models it in P4.

Smokebox door is drying currently. The lamp iron was being awkward last night and required some very runny but quick acting superglue. Butanoe wouldn't stick it. Next time I would use the Mainly Trains etch and solder to a piece of nickel silver and thread it through the smokebox. Another learning curve perhaps.

I'm out today until the evening, but looking at the forecast I'm not sure I'm going to be able to get through for work, which does mean I can crack on with the O1...but sadly also means I wont be getting paid. The downsides of being self employed.

Tom

Evening all.

Well as expected the snow came last night at 11.30pm and it's only just stopped now. I think we must have had near 12 inches today. The school was closed I should have been teaching at, but I wouldn't have attempted the 40 mile drive into work anyhow. The main road (which is a trans-pennine route) looked like a farm track this morning.

This did mean I could crack on with the O1. I tried adding Fox decal smokebox numbers, but they are so oversized that it was bigger than the plasticard plate for it to sit on. Therefore I've ordered some from model master which I shall cut and shut to form 63755.

post-6764-0-62354400-1358790846_thumb.jpg

What I was able to do was the cabside numbers and BRITISH RAILWAYS. I only removed the last 2 digits and added pressfix 5 5. Granted they are possibly a little thicker but will certainly tone down once weathered and the photo of her dated August 1950 shows rather filthy.

post-6764-0-86700900-1358790918_thumb.jpg

Next stage is to add Klear to seal the transfers in place.

Nice one Tom.

I assume you won't be weathering in the bad weather?

Hello David

The weather wont stop my weathering... :mosking:

My room (where my workbench is) has windows that open outwards (PVC) so can be cranked open to almost horizontal position allowing plenty of ventilation. As it's just a weathering job i.e airbrush with a lot of air and less paint, then it's not so bad ventilation wise. Not sure I would attempt a loco repaint in my room though.

I won't be airbrushing  weathering or fulll paints for at least 6 weeks unless the weather changes!

Ah fair enough David, that is quite understandable.

My room has a rather large radiator in it, so is quite warm! :)

That's a very fine bit of modelling there, Tom. From a 'gentleman of this parish' who models Hessle Haven, in P4. I rather think that one of these Hornby O1's, suitably P4'd, might appear on said gent's layout; may even be the same one, given yours was 53A in mid 1950?

Cheers

That's a very fine bit of modelling there, Tom. From a 'gentleman of this parish' who models Hessle Haven, in P4. I rather think that one of these Hornby O1's, suitably P4'd, might appear on said gent's layout; may even be the same one, given yours was 53A in mid 1950?

Cheers

Thanks Mike.

I do have a photo of her in August 1950 so I would say its a very good choice to model. Interesting seeing a 53A O1 all the way up near Darlington (croft junction) on coal empties. Was this a normal working?

• RMweb Premium

Hi Tom. Good decision yesterday mate (about travel etc.) I got to my workplace and then phoned the boss and said " Not safe, closed today" and that was that - good eh? OK so I had to chose to spend the next three hours clearing snow but hey ho, it's better than the gym and free too.

On another thread, don't miss Mr Wright's notes on the forthcoming 02. I never even knew smokebox door 'stops' even existed (shows how ignorant I am ....... :mail: ) Brilliant set of pics posted he has :imsohappy:

Keep on 'hacking' it's great fun to watch...

Sincerely, :cry:  P @ 36E

Hi Tom. Good decision yesterday mate (about travel etc.) I got to my workplace and then phoned the boss and said " Not safe, closed today" and that was that - good eh? OK so I had to chose to spend the next three hours clearing snow but hey ho, it's better than the gym and free too.

On another thread, don't miss Mr Wright's notes on the forthcoming 02. I never even knew smokebox door 'stops' even existed (shows how ignorant I am ....... :mail: ) Brilliant set of pics posted he has :imsohappy:

Keep on 'hacking' it's great fun to watch...

Sincerely, :cry:  P @ 36E

Hello Phil

Very much enjoying the Mr Wright's postings. I really can't wait to get my hands on a O2, working in from Doncaster methinks, ditto for a J11.

The O1 now has a front number and shed plate which has certainly given it that 'look' of an O1 plus she now has a Hull crew.

Next stage will be weathering which will most likely be at the weekend.

Evening all.

Today I had a very enjoyable visit to see James. Plan was for him to help me complete the Mainly Trains J72 conversion which some may remember I started some months back. I had already built the rolling chassis so today the aim was to see how much further we could get. The first task was laminating the con rods, something I was a little weary of, but actually found quite simple to do. Once complete we moved on to the motor and gear box. James helped show me how to assemble the gear box, and I soldered in the small piece of assembly to keep the gear box in place. Finally the motor was tested and all seems well as you can see with James testing the chassis below.

post-6764-0-25211900-1359494709_thumb.jpg

I'm hoping to see James in about three weeks and intend to get the J72 finished. In the time in between I intend to begin work on the body, adding new hand rails. Here is the Chassis and body now sat on my workbench.

post-6764-0-08522300-1359494726_thumb.jpg

Thank you James for the help today and for Suzi and yourself's generous hospitality.

Welcome to the world of kit building - time is always against me.

Thanks David.

I'm finding it rather relaxing and very enjoyable. :yes:

All power to your kit building elbow Tom. May there be many more to follow :good:

Thanks 4479.

I've learnt quite a bit today, but most of all it was enjoyable. I have some plans in the pipeline, one of which involves making a brass tender. Further more I have a ArthurK's kit of a J77. Arthur kindly provided me with a body pretty much made, so really just requires a chassis and detailing. Should be an interesting one to as York just had the one J77 in my period, but I will probably need a little help with it.

I've learnt quite a bit today

Really?! ;)

but most of all it was enjoyable.

Only 'most' of it?! :O

Thank you James for the help today and for Suzi and yourself's generous hospitality.

No need to thank us :) I've had a really lovely day all in :)

Hopefully not long 'til we repeat it :)

Only 'most' of it?! :O

Well, I didn't like having to re-solder the last con rod, but it was my own fault for getting complacent with it being the last one......and soldering it back to front.

Was easy to sort out though wasn't it! :yes:

Archived