Avon Valley Railway Gala 15th & 16th October

Gordon A

Bitton has for a short time five working steam engines (If Karel is finaly tweeked) available for the end of season gala next week-end.

The star visiting loco is Black 5 45379 from the \mid \hants.

Some of you will remember that this engine spent many years at Bitton.

post-7071-0-37906200-1318181238_thumb.jpg

post-7071-0-60224100-1318181325_thumb.jpg

A surprise visitor is 1369 from the South Devon Railway. We were originally hoping to get a 3F Jinty, however I am quite happy with the replacement loco.

post-7071-0-51956100-1318181576_thumb.jpg

Finally is my favourite Jessie, normally based at the Llangollen railway. Jessie has been with us for a few months while Karel is having the main steam pipe replaced, and a major over haul of the regulator valve.

I am rostered on Jessie on the Saturday and may be floating on Sunday.

Three guest engines along with our two resident engines of Karel and RSH 7151 promise the weekend to be good fun with passenger andfreight trains running.

I believe we are hoping to have all five engines in steam so please come along and see what a small (£miles long) railway can do.

Gordon A

Bristol

post-7071-0-93145500-1318181776_thumb.jpg

Look after 379! It's a good tool, but maybe not one of our best restoration jobs.

Be interesting to know what you think of the thing.

Hi Phil H,

Todays crew were very happy with 1369.

I hope she stays long enough for me to have a turn on her.

Gordon A

Ho hum early to bed tonight as the gala is tomorrow and Sunday

Those that planned it want us down at some seriously ungodly hour in the morning, so no quiet pint tonight and an early night which meens I wont sleep that well.

Had a turn driving the Black 5 on Tuesday - definitely different to what I am used to!

Still I am on Jessie tomorrow so will have a grin on my face if not nodding off. If I am scowling it is because I am trying to decipher the working time table as to what I should be doing where, and thats before any last minute changes!

Gordon A

Bristol

• RMweb Premium

6247996148_4795aee139_z.jpg

My one shot, other than the buses, at AVR on Saturday. 45379 leaving Avon Riverside with the 15.30 goods, around 5pm! Seems the Black 5 ran through the points at Bitton in the morning, damaging the facing lock mechanism, so everything was running late. Still, it was good fun, not knowing what was going to work next! Also quite odd seeing all five locos at Avon Riverside at one point during the afternoon. Jessie on the passenger train, 45379 waiting to take over, and 1369, 4015 and 7151 on the goods.

• RMweb Premium

That's a pity, anyone know what happened?

As I understand it, the crew stopped the loco a bit further than they should have done. No damage to the loco, but it meant the loop was out of action. It made things a bit more interesting in the afternoon. The loco roster bore little relation to what was actually happening!

I was amazed how busy it was there. I've only been once before, and that was when the 07 was running one Saturday a couple of years ago. The popularity of the cycle track was incredible as well.

Archived