Railway Modeller Nov 2011

westerner

Came yesterday. The cover design is different looking more like BRM than Railway Modeller. Not quite sure i like it.I wonder what others think?

Layouts;

Liverpool Overhead Railway 4mm. (8pages)

Tummel Ogauge Scottish (6 Pages)

Tetfield N gauge Western (6 pages)

Buxton 4mm 1980/90s (6 pages)

Trip to the Ridings 4mm complex Faller system and rail in West Yorkshire (6 pages0

Articles:

Plan of the month Burton's Breweries.

Modelling GT3

Wagons from scratch

Sizing semaphore signals from photos

Building a brace of Worsley works Irish railcars

A roadside garage

Railway Modelling Explored:

Creating permanent way 2

Kirby magnetic uncoupler (using tension lock couplers

Normal readers letters and reviews

• RMweb Gold

Came yesterday. The cover design is different looking more like BRM than Railway Modeller. Not quite sure i like it.I wonder what others think?

Until I got it out of its wrapper I thought it was BRM.

Personally I've always enjoyed the clean, one-picture type of RM cover, but I guess they've felt the need to jazz it up a bit. Whatever ones opinions on the cover, the pics of Herculaneum Road inside are very impressive.

The cover design is different looking more like BRM than Railway Modeller. Not quite sure i like it.I wonder what others think?</p>
Actually, I can't see that it makes much difference.

It is the contents that matter, and in that area RM has always been top of the pile of the general modelling mags for me. It seems to have made a few steps towards modernisation recently none of which have done it any harm.

• RMweb Gold

Great to see Buxton TMD featured in some detail in RM - and I'm deeply envious of the quality of the ballasting done on Buxton as evident from the pics - having just myself toiled over ballasting my track and feeling a touch inadequate now!!

Looking at Buxton 'for real' as it was back in the '80s and '90s - see http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/28715-buxton-passing-visit/ - it's clear what a fine job Stephen Fields and Paul Sanders have achieved with Buxton TMD.

Worth the £3.60 cover price of RM just for this I reckon!

cheers,

Keith

Great to see Buxton TMD featured in some detail in RM - and I'm deeply envious of the quality of the ballasting done on Buxton as evident from the pics - having just myself toiled over ballasting my track and feeling a touch inadequate now!!

Looking at Buxton 'for real' as it was back in the '80s and '90s - see http://www.rmweb.co....-passing-visit/ - it's clear what a fine job Stephen Fields and Paul Sanders have achieved with Buxton TMD.

Worth the £3.60 cover price of RM just for this I reckon!

cheers,

Keith

Completely agree with you Keith an excellent article about a truly superb layout. As I had not seen Buxton TMD before, I really enjoyed reading the article and looking at the photos. The shed and the station are superb, great modelling!

Completely agree with you Keith an excellent article about a truly superb layout. As I had not seen Buxton TMD before, I really enjoyed reading the article and looking at the photos. The shed and the station are superb, great modelling!

See Buxton TMD at the Rochdale show on November 5th/6th.

Full details of the show may be found HERE and on RMWeb HERE

Having recently seen the LOR layout I found the photos rather lacking in giving a true impression of just how impressive the layout actually is. The feel of the height and spaciousness of the overhead lines contrasting with the cramped low level yards did not come across at all well. Hard to capture in a flat photograph but it did not show the layout in its true glory.

Other than that a good read.

Bernard

Given what Westerner said was:

I have to agree with him!

It does look very much like the others.

Thanks to PaulRhb for posting the pic.

Khris

• RMweb Premium

Having recently seen the LOR layout I found the photos rather lacking in giving a true impression of just how impressive the layout actually is. The feel of the height and spaciousness of the overhead lines contrasting with the cramped low level yards did not come across at all well. Hard to capture in a flat photograph but it did not show the layout in its true glory.

Other than that a good read.

Bernard

Bernard

the side on almost black and white shot across the dock railway/LOR and main lines give a good view of how close everything is. And - you ain't seen it with weathered LOR - or as Mike puts its "barry has started to weather the LOR"!

Barry

Archived