On Saturday (15th Oct.) the signal box at Shillingstone will be officially opened in an ceremony starting at about 2.30pm.It will be performed by Bob Downes (of our club at the Blandford Town Museum) the last employee of the station at closure in 1966. It will all be part of the 'Three Okeford's End Of Season Steam Up', with traction engines, a licensed bar (Saturday only), and live music on Saturday evening.There will also be models from 0 gauge to 5", museum, cafe, and shop, if the weather is nice, a walk along the track bed is recommended.Hope to see you there.

Lovely spot.

Is the 9F still there?

Regards,

Peter

It is an excelllent spot, we nearly bought a house nearby until we got a better offer on the one we've got now, the scenery is superb where the river Stour runs out of the Blackmore Vale into the valley with Cranborne Chase to the north (Hambledon & Hod Hills), and the North Dorset Downs to the west (Okeford Hill & Bulbarrow).

Yes the chassis ( well most of it) is there for all to view, but the boiler has gone to Riley's place 'Oop north'. What mad rush to the brain made someone decide on getting a 9F is beyond me, a sledge hammer to crack a walnut me thinks.

".....the first took place in the early 1970s between Radstock and Writhlington in a brake van...."

I wonder if that was the one I was on ? <G>

Apart from a S&D Circle 'open day' trip one Bank Holiday (?), I went up once quite by chance on a BR coal train with an 08 shunter in charge.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Can i get a track plan of the layout of shillingstone station from anywhere?

A good book that has all the S & D station track plans and signal plans is "An Historical Survey of The Somereset and Dorset Railway Track Layouts & Illustrations" by Judge & Potts published by OPC. An invaluable book.

Was the station a crossing point for two single lines.

Yes

What sort of sidings were there?

Several. Goods shed, cattle dock, short parcel bay and two headshunts at each end of the loop.

• RMweb Gold

"....and two headshunts at each end of the loop"

Eh??? There was a siding off the Down loop, and another off the Up loop at the Blandford end, if that is what you mean.

I

I stand corrected, that is what I meant.

• 1 month later...

Tommrow is the Relase date for the Bachmann models of the Shillingstone station there will be a Bachmann presence and various Traction engines around to mark the Occasion and then from 5pm onwards there will be a bar service

Can't remember the name, but one of the Shillingstone guys paid us a visit at Blandford Museum on Wednesday explaining that they are about to build a model of Shillingstone, and were after advice - I wonder if they are going to incorporate the Bachmann buildings (?), we'll see how it goes. It would be interesting to pop over there tomorrow, but, among other things, I'm doing a stint on the door at the Blandford Town Museum.

Can't remember the name, but one of the Shillingstone guys paid us a visit at Blandford Museum on Wednesday explaining that they are about to build a model of Shillingstone, and were after advice - I wonder if they are going to incorporate the Bachmann buildings (?), we'll see how it goes. It would be interesting to pop over there tomorrow, but, among other things, I'm doing a stint on the door at the Blandford Town Museum.

I think Dave Clark is on about building a model and possibly setting up a club

Saldy I have not yet had chance to get to Shillingstone since the signal-box was opened, and pictorial coverage of its interior on the NDRT web is either very poor or well-hidden :-( But.... from the one picture which I did find, although the FPL lever (4) at the north end is clearly blue, the one at the south end (13) appears to be black. Why? Is it just a trick of the light or what - anyone know please?

Archived