The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Bullied or Bulleid - It's BULLEID

woodenhead

Well, I have learnt something here! I am guilty of saying "Mornsell" for Maunsell. I'll try to correct that for the future but old habits die hard!

Yes they do - I knew of the 'Mansell' pronunciation of Maunsell, but very rarely use it. There is also then the risk of confusion with Mansell as in wheels.

• RMweb Gold

I was talking to an engine driver in Leeds in the mid-1980s and he informed me that one of Urie's descendents was still with the railways at Doncaster at the time.

I have met a certain Bob Urie on two occasions in Sheffiled through my professional institute. I'll have to make enquiries...

There is also then the risk of confusion with Mansell as in wheels.

I was thinking along similar lines. Makes you wonder why the U needed to be there - and I'm not talking about a 2-6-0. And what about the retired racing driver - Nigel Maunsell?

• RMweb Gold

I have met a certain Bob Urie on two occasions in Sheffiled through my professional institute. I'll have to make enquiries...

I believe him to have been an Assistant GM on the Eastern Region, but he wound up in BR Projects, as did a number of us. Very pleasant colleague, I always found, during the vexing era on the eve of Privatisation.

• RMweb Gold

I believe him to have been an Assistant GM on the Eastern Region, but he wound up in BR Projects, as did a number of us. Very pleasant colleague, I always found, during the vexing era on the eve of Privatisation.

A member of our team in my last 'big railway' job had once been Bob Urie's secretary when he was on the Southern and she always spoke very highly of him; 'very nice man' she always said of him.

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Ian. It certainly sounds like the same person.

Jack the engine (the Leeds driver!) suggested at the time that I should contact Mr Urie and talk about the SR/LSWR links but I never did get around to it.

Jules: you beat me to it! I was thinking of the Mr Luxury-Yacht thing too!!! :lol:

Archived