The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Bullied or Bulleid - It's BULLEID

woodenhead

How is it said? Is it pronounced Bulleed or Bullide?

One that really annoys me is Robeston in West Wales constantly being referred as Robertson's by some enthusiasts.

As Rod says, spill chuckers don't help. Or it could be something even worse, autocorrection on an iPhone!

jo

The one that gets me is the use of Billington instead of Billinton.

Though wasn't his name originally spelt Billington? IIRC it was his wife who prompted him to drop the 'g' as the top hangman of the day was named Billington, and she didn't like the connotation.

I read in a biography of Bulleid that when he took over as Locomotive Superintendent* on the Southern his son told him that Bulleid rhymes succeed and Maunsell rhymes with cancel.

*Or was it CME?

That's a good point, I wonder how many are pedantic with the spelling of 'Bulleid' but pronounce Maunsell as 'Mornsell' when the name has an unpronounced (or useless) 'U' properly pronounced as Mansell.

Dont you just love a smarta**e.

Though wasn't his name originally spelt Billington? IIRC it was his wife who prompted him to drop the 'g' as the top hangman of the day was named Billington, and she didn't like the connotation.

I'd not heard that Adrian, but a quick bit of research confirms that James Billington was indeed hangman 1884-1901. Doesn't excuse the mis-spellings of Robert and Lawson Billinton since though!

Guest Natalie Graham

You see, if everyone was called "hey you", we wouldn't have this problem.

We used to have a coalman whose first two initials, written on the side of his lorry, were A.U. I always wondered if they were the initials of his real name or just how everyone addressed him.

Well, I have learnt something here! I am guilty of saying "Mornsell" for Maunsell. I'll try to correct that for the future but old habits die hard!

As for Bulleid, as others have said, the spell checker can be a bit too smart for its own good at times. On several occasions I have typed "Bulleid" only to check back and find it has auto-corrected to "Bullied". You can actually add this into the auto-correct list in Microsoft Word, or delete "bullied" from it instead.

Going slightly off-topic (I'm good at that!) but sort of related: I was talking to an engine driver in Leeds in the mid-1980s and he informed me that one of Urie's descendents was still with the railways at Doncaster at the time.

Archived