RMweb

Santa Barbara in N scale_ at the NMRABR 2022 convention near Crewe

roundhouse

Maybe they just don't like the people behind the "foreign" layouts dismissing their own efforts as "dreary"?

I'm not saying that doesn't happen, but I've never stood in front of a layout and dismissed it for all to hear, even if the layout came out of a cloning factory and lacks a certain "X-factor" that you see more often with foreign layouts. On the other hand, when I've been behind a layout...

Some of the more light-hearted and memorable comments I've witnessed include "i didn't think people modelled real locations", "I thought all US trains were really long", and my own favourite "I didn't realise they had electric trains in America".

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

What surprised me last weekend is that we had a really good crowd of people through out both days watching the layout at the Uckfield show.

WIth the podiums the club provides meant that a lot more younger kids watching counting the freight cars.

Also quite a few adults who recognised the station straight away - maybe down to the area being quite affluent (also probably why  many of the pubs in Uckfield town centre having long gone!), hence more of the general public having been to Santa Barbara.

Edited by roundhouse

Also quite a few adults who recognised the station straight away - maybe down to the area being quite affluent (also probably why  many of the pubs in Uckfield town centre having long gone!), hence more of the general public having been to Santa Barbara.

It's a bit of a long way to go for a night out...

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Tonight was going to be a work night on the layout.

However our train is delayed due to a trespass earlier in the day so rather than get caught up in crowds it's now a beer night in Borough Market!!!

The 3d templates I had experimented with for road markings which did not work out did not have any instructions on Shapeways as how to use them.

However I stumbled across German website with some English translation showing how to use similar prints. Apparently a paint pen is the correct way to go as it doesnt smudge like spray or brushing so that's one of the next tasks to do aswell as adding more roof top clutter to the industrial buildings.

So hopefully I will have a few spare evenings later this week plus Sunday to do more to the layout ready for Newcastle show in a week and a halls time.

Photos to follow.

• Like 1

Tonight was going to be a work night on the layout.

However our train is delayed due to a trespass earlier in the day so rather than get caught up in crowds it's now a beer night in Borough Market!!!

The 3d templates I had experimented with for road markings which did not work out did not have any instructions on Shapeways as how to use them.

However I stumbled across German website with some English translation showing how to use similar prints. Apparently a paint pen is the correct way to go as it doesnt smudge like spray or brushing so that's one of the next tasks to do aswell as adding more roof top clutter to the industrial buildings.

So hopefully I will have a few spare evenings later this week plus Sunday to do more to the layout ready for Newcastle show in a week and a halls time.

Photos to follow.

Interesting. We’ve just had the road markings re-painted in our town (when the new school year started) and they obviously sprayed them through templates.

Instead of being sharp edged they are distinctly “fuzzy” around the edges...

The “fuzziness” is gradually disappearing but stand on them and you can still see it (I have a part time job with the local Police Dept).

Best, Pete.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Interesting. We’ve just had the road markings re-painted in our town (when the new school year started) and they obviously sprayed them through templates.

Instead of being sharp edged they are distinctly “fuzzy” around the edges...

The “fuzziness” is gradually disappearing but stand on them and you can still see it (I have a part time job with the local Police Dept).

Best, Pete.

In N scale I suspect that you wouldnt see the fuzzy border. However when I did my last attempt it merged all the lines into one big paint splodge!!

Hopefully the fine paint pens will arrive today / tomorrow so that I can have another go in the next few days.

• RMweb Premium

Hopefully the fine paint pens will arrive today / tomorrow so that I can have another go in the next few days.

Hi Ian,

I will be interested to see the results with the paint pens - what type/brand are they?

Cheers,

Dave

• RMweb Gold

Hi Ian,

I will be interested to see the results with the paint pens - what type/brand are they?

Cheers,

Dave

edding 780 Fine Bullet Tip

Purchased off Amazon.

They do various colours so have ordered a blue one for the disabled parking signs. I should have ordered a yellow aswell as cant find my fine yellow one at home at the moment. The thicker ones dont work as tried them last night.

• RMweb Gold

With the impending Newcastle show the main attention is on this layout at the moment.

So this morning when I got up, the two new Amtrak transition Superliners had a light weathering. modification of one stock box has now made room for one of these. Now need to find a bit of space in one of the other stock boxes for the 2nd one.

Now that I have found the Gold Medal cab sun shade etches to do the Norfolk Southern SD60E Veterans unit, before losing them again I have used some up on one of the UP AC4400's this morning. Others will now have the same treatment over the next few days.

I will have the NS veterans unit with us at Newcastle so it can be seen in a consist of head end power on a freight.

There is also a 2nd hand CSX  loco that looked rather lonely on the Plus Daughters stand at the Uckfield show. That is about to have a decoder fitted and some detailing added so it can also appear as borrowed power in SOCAL!!

Plenty more details to work on such as roof vents to some of the warehouses etc.

• Like 2

edding 780 Fine Bullet Tip

Purchased off Amazon.

They do various colours so have ordered a blue one for the disabled parking signs. I should have ordered a yellow aswell as cant find my fine yellow one at home at the moment. The thicker ones dont work as tried them last night.

Ian = if you haven't tried them I found the uni POSCA paint pens very good - mine came from Pullingers who seem to do very good service. From their site UNI POSCA PC-1M - This Posca Pen has a hard plastic bullet tip that will produce extra fine 0.7mm line widths. It is ideal for fine detail, precision work and writing. Available in 14 colours. - See more at: http://www.pullingers.com/articles/what-surfaces-will-posca-pens-draw-on-to#sthash.nSd7xJwH.dpuf Edited by shortliner

• RMweb Gold

Gold Medal and BLMA do  whole host of detail parts for locos and structures. This just gets better and better.

Thanks Stephen

I have made use of quite a few of the Gold Medal etches and more recently the BLMA details especially their cast brass horns due to their robustness.

Ian

• RMweb Gold

Last Night and this morning I continued working on few locos.

The UP AC4400s now have their newly fitted cab sun shades painted. A quick pass of Qullcote has since matted them down.

post-1557-0-01679500-1415345881_thumb.jpg

post-1557-0-40096700-1415345895_thumb.jpg

The recently purchased CSX AC4400 had the wrong Microtains couplings which made their position too high. It now has 1015's fitted, new cab sun shades and a BLMA horn which isn't quite the correct type but is much better than the factory fitted 3 chime one. Weathering to the body is partially done with the chassis still to be treated.

A Digitrax decoder has also been fitted but is still to be programmed.post-1557-0-56509300-1415346118_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Kato, right?

I've got that same loco, though I still need to tweak the weathering a little and fit some Microtrains couplers.

20140610_151546_2_bestshot-1_zpsd9765b8b

Yours looks closer to the state of the real one in photos that I have seen. Still plenty of weathering ot do to mine.

However I notice that you are missing the front step cab grab rails.

• RMweb Gold

The joys of a second hand loco!

I'm hoping to get that sorted from spares from somewhere, but it'll do for now. :)

Well thats interesting.

My loco came with those handrails ready fitted although broken. However the odd thing is that in the box the bag of bits hadnt been opened so two complete sets of handrails, all the number boards etc.

So if you wish I can let you have the one spare set left as I used one set to replace the broken ones.

PM me with your address and I will psot them to you.

Ian

I'm sure the box I have for that loco came with a bag of spares, perhaps I'm just an idiot and haven't checked the packet?

Wouldn't be the first time! :D

I'll be at Warley and Wakefield, I understand you are going to be at both?

Might be easier than postage, if I haven't got that set?