RMweb

Santa Barbara in N scale_ at the NMRABR 2022 convention near Crewe

roundhouse

• RMweb Gold

Any photos of CSX 18 in a consist on the layout? :)

Dan

I forgot to take it with me. However its now in the stock boxes after adding it to the JMRI roster on Sunday.

Next chance to run it will be at the NMRA BR convention in October 2016.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

A couple of days ago we visited Colonial Photo and Hobby in Orlando. This place is one of a number of hobby shops that started my interest in American modelling, the other big one, Train Depot having long since closed.

Good to see the Colonial store is as good as ever. I was only after detailing bits but this two pack of Kato P42's selling for $99.00 couldn't be left behind. They are second hand but look as if they have hardly been used and the detail pack has not been opened.

A couple of Digitrax decoders obtained at the same time are about to be fitted before we go to breakfast.

post-1557-0-70161400-1451306819_thumb.jpeg

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold

Back in Santa Barbara earlier today for a few beers and meet up with someone from the UK currently on holiday there.

A pleasant run up from LA in single deck coaches but with a loco each end despite the beautifully repainted cabbage car at one end (see the video).

The station as good as ever but just as I get ready yo fit more litter bins, they have removed them from he platforms. However I have modelled it as it was a few years ago so they will still be added.

post-1557-0-19319300-1451708807_thumb.jpeg

post-1557-0-15160500-1451708826_thumb.jpeg

Edited by roundhouse
  • Like 8

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

The Amtrak special edition Kato loco arrived for me states recently. Cost an arm and a leg with shipping plus Amtraks handler Staples adding a export handle charge plus Parcelfarce handling and VAT.

Yesterday I picked up a decoder from Sunningwell at the RISEX show.

Decoder fitted plus the modifications to the lighting so now the ditch lights work although I think st I will need to do a little bit of tinkering with the CV values to get a more noticeable alternating flashing.

Now need to do the same modifications to the rest of the P42 fleet.

post-1557-0-43731400-1456075134_thumb.jpeg

post-1557-0-86233200-1456075162_thumb.jpeg

• Like 3

The Amtrak special edition Kato loco arrived for me states recently. Cost an arm and a leg with shipping plus Amtraks handler Staples adding a export handle charge plus Parcelfarce handling and VAT.

Decoder fitted plus the modifications to the lighting so now the ditch lights work although I think st I will need to do a little bit of tinkering with the CV values to get a more noticeable alternating flashing.

The modification to add working ditch lights does really add something to the loco. I need to modify more of my P42 fleet (only one done so far, eight to go).

My latest additions to my Amtrak fleet were an Athearn F59PHI in as in your video above and an Atlas B32-8W in the California scheme. I'm not sure how I justify either in the east. ;)

Adrian

Edited by Adrian Wintle
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Nice loco. Will be good to see it running on Santa Barbara

• 1 year later...
  • RMweb Gold

It's been over a year since the last post on here.

The layout hasnt been out since Warley 2015 but it will be at the Eas Surrey N scale show in Redhill this Saturday. It's also the only invite the layout currently has so it could be its last although hopefully not as I am not planning on retiring it yet.

A few new locos to give a run this weekend aswell.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Has a good day with the layout. After being stored for around 17 months since Warley show the layout worked fine although a few issues with some freight cars that have only run once or twice. By this afternoon most of those had been tweaked and running fine.

It's the last show we have an invite for at present but no Yes we to dispose of the layout.

So this hopefully won't be the last photo taken at a show.

post-1557-0-03344500-1491670976_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

• 1 year later...
  • RMweb Gold

On our recent trip to the Convention in the USA we picked up a few new locos produced by a relatively new company, Scaletrains. Both locos are Tier4 Gevos, one is in Norfolk Southern for a future layout but one is in UP livery for running on Santa Barbara.

The boxes are quite striking and a departure form the normal plastic box. The locos themselves are very nice, probalby the most detailed N scale USA oultine produced so far with separate handrails fitted. Fox Valley provide the handrails but you have to drill and fit them yourself.

They also use Next18 decoders so I have installed a Zimo decoder in the UP loco and will fit a separate Digitrax transponder decoder hard wired ot the loco pick up wires so that it can work the Surroundtrtaxx sound system.

Photos of the loco. It will get a very light weathering.

post-1557-0-23839200-1534782512_thumb.jpg

With the body off after removing the coupling screws. There is room for a speaker in the fuel tank so thats where the transponder decoder will go.

post-1557-0-75301500-1534782554_thumb.jpg

As the layout hasnt been out since April 2017 I intend setting it up to check before the Seaboard show in Crawley on 15th September 2018 plus there is a new 11th staging track to test.

• Like 7

Nice N scale layout of my native state of California. Santa Barbara is a beautiful city on the Pacific Ocean. I love how you change the timeframe using Southern Pacific locomotives versus the Union Pacific locomotives. Keep up the good work, Ian!

Wendell

Idaho, USA