Austin Maestro - CAD & 3D printing project

Burkitt

Are you going to do all 4 bumper versions?

Economy steel

Plastic

Plastic with spoiler (MG EFI) (with little spoilers before the rear wheels, and IIRC a boot spoiler)

Tickford MG Turbo - with a full sill trim between the front&back wheel

Jon

Thanks Adam. I know what you mean about the looks of the Maestro, I can see why people consider it ugly, but I think there's a nice clarity to its style, with the longitudinal "scallops" linking the lights and the strong front and rear slopes.

The initial design is for OO, all it needs is the thicknesses and detail sizes adjusting to do an N scale version so that will follow shortly after.

Jon, the current version has the plastic bumpers, but I do plan to do the other styles too. There are also variations in the hubcaps, side strips, and even the headrests, so plenty of different versions are possible - I just need to make sure I get the combinations right.

Paul

Thanks Bernard.

blender%2520view%252021.jpg

Nearly there now, just done the wheels. The tyre tread looks a bit chunky, but it is to the minimum possible detail size of 0.2mm, and should become a lot more subtle with a couple of coats of paint.

It just needs the pieces arranging and some sprues adding between the smallest bits and it should be ready for upload to Shapeways, hopefully tomorrow.

Paul

When I had my Maestro the tyres on it can't have been a million miles off the tread depth on there, with decent tyres it drove ok in the snow. The only fatal flaw was the distributor very close to the ground nicely in line for water from the front tyres to splash in and stop you going anywhere fast!

I would say you need a bit more shape on the headlights and grille, nearly matching the side lights http://media.photobucket.com/image/austin%20maestro/G51NAV/HLE/P6090119.jpg but otherwise it looks very Maestro like from that angle. Note, the headlights were also used on the Leyland Roadrunner light lorry too, while the 'cheap' headlights, as used on the van, were on the first Land Rover Discovery, along with the rear lights off the van too. http://upload.wikime...rvan_-_rear.jpg Of course, using those lights meant they had to put the angled corner round the back of the Disco to match in with the light clusters...

To be honest Paul, I'd not bother to put too much small detail on a rapid prototype since half of it is likely to be obscured or lost in the smoothing process. I see them more as a possible step in making a master rather than a final product, at least as they are currently. Perhaps in 5-10 years that might be different.

It occurs to me that if you:

- lengthen the Maestro's bonnet line

- widen the whole

- add a boot to the rear

then you have the basics of a 1970s VW K70.

Alternatively do the same as AR did, slope back the front grille, put a boot on the back, and you've got the Montego !!

http://www.aronline.co.uk/blogs/2011/08/07/the-cars-maestromontego-development-story/

and the home page for the Austin Rover (unofficial) site http://www.aronline.co.uk/blogs/

The finished CAD drawing looks great.

If it does go to a production run I'm interested in having three, and I'd have five (MG) Montegos if they become an idea.

BTW, looking at aronline, it looks as though the body pressings have toured round the chinese car industry in the last 10 years.

Thanks all for your compliments and comments. Following some final tweaks, I've now uploaded the Maestro to Shapeways and ordered one, but Shapeways say it may not be delivered until November 23rd so it could be couple of weeks before I get to see what it looks like for real.

I've made the model available to order from Shapeways at http://www.shapeways.com/model/377344/ooam01_1_76_austin_maestro.html?key=00e84bf43717e462edae0798fe2214e1

I'll have a look at doing the Maestro van and Montego estate, though I want to adjust the Maestro for N scale first. I'm not sure how possible a Montego saloon would be though, due to the very narrow rear pillars.

Paul

As the Montego rear pillars are flush (bonded) glazing it may be best to omit the pillars altogether and paint black on any glazing.

You could get away with "blacking" the rear quarter-lights, but you would still have to do the rear screen.

Paul don't bank on it being that fast. I am still waiting on my order placed 6 weeks ago. Their website states 2 weeks behind but judging from my order more like 4 weeks. That I said I have been advised it will be despatched tomorrow with delivery on Monday which will be 6 weeks to the day.

• RMweb Gold

Your Kidding!!!!! You mean people admit to owning one of these vehicles :O :o :O

I had two Montegos for company cars, the 1.6 saloon and the 2.0 turbo, I put 65k miles on the 2.0 (red) in about 6 months, travelling all round the country in it, it was totally kn@ckered by the time I swapped it (as was I), good for petrol gifts though, from Hemel Hempstead - Home was 200 miles and that meant filling up three times ! the company took it off me as it was costing a fortune, my fuel and it had over 130k on the clock, and the lease was for 80k max. (it had 65k on the clock when I got it as my "pool" car)

The 2.0 was superb at road holding, I could take the curves from the M56 (East) to the M6 (South) at, err, cough, 70mph without any sign of twitching, but a bit of water and 360 spin could ensue, I managed that a few times.

Interesting project, I also owned a maroon Allegro in the early 1980s, the engine eventually fell out, literally !

My dad had the Marina 1.8TC - we know quality cars in our family :lol:

Thanks for the update Burkitt, you've certainly caught the lines of the Maestro in all its glory (must be a word that fits here). I'm actually glad that I can't do things like this, I'd be ordering all sorts of road vehicles from the '70s and '80s and spending far too much money.

Aberdeen Kirkhill isn't lined up for an exhibition until July next year. If you can manage to sort a Maestro Van by March/April time then we'll be able to replace the Bedford Van with this one and the Mk1 Transit with a Sherpa (just ordered). Then the road vehicles will be far more in period.

• RMweb Gold

How about 'cheeky eagerness'? :lol:

Mine was certainly cheeky, but eager ? well travelling through the Mersey tunnel was always an experience, heightened by getting out the other side with the same number of parts on the car that I went in with.

My dad had a Montego, on A 'B' plate IIRC, and he still maintains that it was the worst car he'd ever had! It was a typical Friday afternoon car - it needed a full respray within 6 months as the paintwork developed an orange peel effect all over and ISTR numerous breakdowns after that. Luckily it was a company car and he only had to put up with it for a year before joining a different company and getting a better car.

Why is it that I've stuck with the BMC/Rovers all my life since 1967, and never had the problems that are being reported here? Austin A30, Marina 1.8, Ital 1.3, Rover 827 Sterling(s) and now Rover 75? And when I hve had the inconvenience of having a differen tmake (works vehicle maybe) they have been atrocious? Ford springs to mind here! Maybe its because I've always done my own maintenance?

Stewart

Archived