Dapol OO Suburban and Stanier coaches

Linners

Is anyone aware of any images relating to the newly proposed coach releases? I have looked on the Dapol website but I can't find anything relating to these. I'm more interested in the suburban kits as I but can't be sure what the suburbans look like? I'm presuming that they will not be the same as those produced by Bachman.

Linners

• RMweb Premium

A quote from that facebook page linked to in post #2:

"We have now re-furbed the first of the old Airfix OO Stanier coach tooling."

So this tooling was never sold to Hornby.Did Dapol retain any other Airfix RTR tooling?

So this tooling was never sold to Hornby.Did Dapol retain any other Airfix RTR tooling?

This is a good question and I do not know the answer. I am not even sure if the toolings were unique. Several of Dapol's early N gauge models were shrunk from the Airfix 00 toolings (1400, Autocoach, B-sets) despite the fact that Hornby own these.

What is really needed is a Push Pull coach (other than the GWR example).

John

I whole heartedly agree - It was not just the GWR that operated these, and with increased detailing of locomotives and interest in smaller train formations surely these coaches beg to be produced?

This is a good question and I do not know the answer. I am not even sure if the toolings were unique. Several of Dapol's early N gauge models were shrunk from the Airfix 00 toolings (1400, Autocoach, B-sets) despite the fact that Hornby own these.

Wasn't there one of the Stanier Corridor variants that Hornby haven't made? If Dapol still have those, I think they'd go great guns at around this price point.

Wasn't there one of the Stanier Corridor variants that Hornby haven't made? If Dapol still have those, I think they'd go great guns at around this price point.

They do a 60' Composite. Not quite to Hornby standard (unsurprisingly given the decade or two between the models) but useful enough. For post-48, I think I'd just hang fire and substitute the forthcoming Bachmann porthole version though... (or go the Comet route)

These scrub up well with a bit of extra work, one can also replace the moulded handrail on the ends with wire and replace the prism like glasing with Gem Flushglaze. The final outcome is that you have a set of unique carriages that are not like every body else's down the club.

I have all the bits from Comet to make a pair of push pull coaches using the old Bachmann Period II (or was it Period I?) underframes and roofs. The disappointing thing is that I messed up the Comet sides when I tried to drill holes for the hinges. (A mystery to me why the hinge holes aren't etched in along with the holes for handles and door stops). I am inspired by David Jenkinson's book on scratch building coaches to have a go with 0.020" plastic card using the duff Comet sides as templates.

John

These coaches to D1736 and D1737 were Period II Inter-District coaches, hence the provision of lavatories. None from Lots 529/30 were ever converted to push & pull use. The compartment sizes in the lavatory brake third were the same as on non-corridor brake third and some cuttin 'n shuttin should produce a reasonable copy of a push pull driving trailer. However, with so much work involved, wouldnt it be simpler to attach the correct etched brass sides and driving trailer end to the Dapol roof? In fact, seeing as the chassis has to be rebuilt, why not solder together a coach kit?

Coachman, I am aware that the Diag modelled by Airfix/Dapol was wrong for the Push Pull conversion. As I said, I did get the appropriate sides but screwed them up. I could get new ones but I thought I'd stretch myself a bit and try some in plastic card - I have more confidence that I can the hinges right with this material.

Cheers

John

Guest stuartp

Appears to be in inexpensive way of building a rake of coaches

What you get for £8.95...

Ta. Not even worth hunting them down on Ebay to convert to something else at that price. I don't even have to dis-assemble them !

Edited by stuartp

Appears to be in inexpensive way of building a rake of coaches

What you get for £8.95...

DapolKit.jpg

A very clever idea - supplied as a kit to assemble yourself and at a bargin price.

Well done -- Dapol. I hope the introduction is a great success.

A very clever idea - supplied as a kit to assemble yourself and at a bargin price.

Well done -- Dapol. I hope the introduction is a great success.

Takes me back to the days when Triang and Trix used to sell some of their models as 'kits'- due to the strange nature of purchase-tax, these were exempt (or at least subject to a much lower rate), and were thus considerably cheaper than the fully-assembled model. Triang called this range 'CKD' (Completely Knocked Down), a term coming from the motor (and possibly aviation) fields, where things would be exported in crates, rather than fully assembled.

Dapol are doing a range of unpainted wagon bodies, which merit a look, as well. I bought a dozen or so last week, which are going on to Parkside underframes- things like LMS planked vans, Banana vans and so on.

There are lots more coaches to come. There is the 57 foot non-corridor brake, 60 foot corridor composite and 60 foot corridor brake (for these we just need to get the tooling sorted for the corridor connectors). There will be 4 livery versions for each,- so another 14 coaches to come in total. In addition, as has been suggested, we will probably do an unnumbered version of each as well so modellers can add different numbers at their leisure.

• Like 2