Messerschmitt KR200 and BMW Isetta 250 (50s 3-wheelers)

frisby

Does anybody make/have made a 4mm version of these?

Reason. My father had a KR200 as a company car upgrading to an Isetta in the late 50s. Both painted in sky blue and purple company colours (TC Stewart of Bury St.Edmunds I seem to remember). This was upgraded to a Ford Thames (Anglia - shaped) Van!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Messerschmitt_KR200

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isetta#BMW_Isetta_250

http://www.fordanglia105eownersclub.co.uk/history/anglia-van/

Do I recall that the Messerschmitt had no reverse gear - so if you parked it nose on in the garage, too close to the wall, you'd never get out?

Not sure with the KR200 but some Isttas definitely did not - joys of motorbike engines and gearboxes!.. However in the Messerscmiit you opened the canopy aand got out of the side. The Isetta's front opening door however.....................

• RMweb Gold

Not sure with the KR200 but some Isttas definitely did not - joys of motorbike engines and gearboxes!.. However in the Messerscmiit you opened the canopy aand got out of the side. The Isetta's front opening door however.....................

Quite right, of course - wrong model. I think in the Messerschmitt you actually sat astride like a motor-cycle?

• RMweb Premium

I think 'Cararama' did the Isetta but it may be 1:72

Actually it was nearer 1/70 scale. However Micromachines produced a model of one very close to 1/76 scale that was also more accurately shaped ( the Cararama model is too tall). The downside of it is that it is solid plastic with painted on windows and probably difficult to find. Micromachines motorcycles are also very near to 1/76 scale as well (as well as being easier to find).

I am fairly sure that either Busch or Wiking did an HO Messerschmidt. Not all BMW/Isettas were 3 wheelers either. One of my primary school teachers had a pale yellow one with a pair of rear wheels about 1 ft apart-I don't know why and it certainly can't have helped the stability much.

Ed

PS I think the KR200 was the 4 wheel Messerschmidt, they certainly made one and that is the expensive one now.

• RMweb Gold

I have a Schuko Junior Line Isetta which I think is 1:72 (and a 4 wheeler with the close together rear wheels). Pretty little thing, two tone blue / white with sun roof and luggage rack - and the emphasis on little...

• RMweb Premium

I have a Schuko Junior Line Isetta which I think is 1:72 (and a 4 wheeler with the close together rear wheels). Pretty little thing, two tone blue / white with sun roof and luggage rack - and the emphasis on little...

Thats the same model as Cararama. I wonder if Oxford can be persuaded to produce a few 'micro-cars'.

• 3 weeks later...

The Messerschmitt didn't have a reverse gear as such, but an arrangement whereby you stopped the engine, and started it up again backwards. This gave the brave and foolish as many gears backwards as they did forwards......

For a brief time I ran a Berkeley T60 - a late '50's 3-wheeler (two at the front, one at the back) which DID have a proper reverse gear. The front of it looked like a miniature E-type Jag, and the back end looked like a boat. Powered by a 329cc Excelsior Talisman engine . Great fun, but the wheels had a tendency to fall off......

For a brief time I ran a Berkeley T60 - a late '50's 3-wheeler (two at the front, one at the back) which DID have a proper reverse gear. The front of it looked like a miniature E-type Jag, and the back end looked like a boat. Powered by a 329cc Excelsior Talisman engine . Great fun, but the wheels had a tendency to fall off......

Do I remember a four-wheel version as well?

A mate of mine had one of those Berkeleys and he fitted a Mini engine in it. It wasn't slow...

The idea of the two close together wheels was some legal wheeze if I remember correctly. If the wheels were less than a certain distance apart, it still counted for tax and licence purposes as a three wheeler.

There was most definitely a 'proper' 4 wheel Messersschmitt 'microcar'. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FMR_Tg500 (as mentioned by Pete)

steve

steve

A mate of mine had one of those Berkeleys and he fitted a Mini engine in it. It wasn't slow...

The idea of the two close together wheels was some legal wheeze if I remember correctly. If the wheels were less than a certain distance apart, it still counted for tax and licence purposes as a three wheeler.

There was most definitely a 'proper' 4 wheel Messersschmitt 'microcar'. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FMR_Tg500 (as mentioned by Pete)

steve

steve

..... That mini conversion would go like the clappers.... It only weighed about 8cwt...!

Absolutely - the trick about two 'close' rear wheels only counted as one for tax and insurance.

At one stage I has three Berkekeys, but only one was a runner... I sold one for restoration, and my Dad threw the other one (a hard top) away, as it had sat behind the Church for too many years, and nothing was going to happen with it! A tradgedy now, but I still don't have any where to put it!

• 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...

year's ago i had a bmw isetta in red. i turned that over. only needed a motor bike licence to drive them. as long as you blocked off the reverse gear as i did (not) good fun to drive, what about the bond bug for a model. all the one's i have seen have been in orange.

I vaguely remember a sketch in one of Michael Bentine's TV shows with a Messerschmitt bubble car fitted with machine guns shooting up the BBC Television Centre. Doesn't seem to be on Youtube, unfortunately. I think Dick Emery was driving it, and do I imagine Luftwaffe camouflage paint and black crosses?

Archived