Shaftesbury O gauge NSE venture

NSE DAZ

Hi all,

Guess what I am creating yet another NSE themed this time O gauge layout set in the sectorisation period dominated by the toothpaste livery :sungum:

Many of you know that I am very passionate about all things red whit and blue, and after the dismantled Shaftesbury MK1 and the MK2 version that never really took off, I thought that I would move on to the world of O for the all needed boost to complete a layout :no:

Now I know that the O gauge land is a very strange place, not many RTR locos coaches ect on the market not many modern image layouts/stock the amount of space needed and but no means the least the cost, so some may think I am crazy (to be honest they would be right :beee: ) but I feel that the need for a change is on the cards as Shaftesbury MK2 just didn't for-fill my modling needs

My passion for the larger scale started late last year after visiting an exhibition at Basingstoke, all I can remember of the show (apart from Kevin's Leaford and the guys :good_mini: ) was this fantastic NSE themed O gauge layout Leavesden created by Peter Clark with your typical NSE stock all with sound and the icing on the cake was all that beautiful clagg spilling out of the exhaust pods of the locos when pulling out of the station, unfortunately I had to leave the show in a hurry and did not manage to find out to much about the creator / owner but after a bit of home work I found that the creator of Leavesden "Peter Clark" also sold these kits on his own site so happy times ahead :senile:

After a few emails and talking with Peter I can now confirm that I have two NSE units on order.......

Firstly a 2H 2 Car Hampshire 205 025 Thumper in NSE livery with sound and smoke unit better sort the ventilation out in the shed

Link to the 205 I have on order

http://www.peterclar...com/thumper.htm

The second is a class 50 which will be 50 033 Glouriouse in full revised NSE livery also with sound and smoke unit

http://www.prmrp.com/locomotive_kits.htm Scroll half way down the screen.

After ordering the above I can confirm it has wiped my savings out :stinker: but you only live once so make the most of it.

The build time for these two units is three months, so exciting times ahead

I have ordered some station accessories to make up and purchased some track, so in the meantime I will post up the progress with this.

Shaftesbury at this stage is still in planning, but it will be 25ft long by 2ft 6inch wide of scenic section and a 8ft fiddle yard not over big in the world of O but enough to put a smile on my face

I will keep you all posted with updates, but they may be a bit slow to start with as I have to re-jig the baseboards to house the new venture :mail:

(I promise to complete this layout )

All the best Darren NSE DAZ

Whilst my O guage interests are firmly set in the SECR period, its good to see the development of a modern (ish) layout. I'll definitly be following this with interest.

Don't forget that by stretching the bounds of reality slightly you could have toothpaste flavoured 03 and 08s :)

Hi Darren,

Wasn't that long ago you were urging me to sell my 7mm and buy up loads of Hornby hoovers! :D

Welcome to O gauge mate, you're going to love it.

Going by the level of detail you achieved in your previous layout, I'm really looking forward to this one.

All the best,

Gene.

Darren, I'll look forward to seeing this one. Peter Clark's thumper does look rather good. But, just one thing - cancel that PRMRP 50 and get a JLTRT one. The shape is so so much better. Yes there are the issues with the windscreens like the Hornby ones, but it's 100% closer to the real thing than the PRMRP.

Cheers

Tom

• 1 month later...

Hi all,

It's been a while but been in planning mode :mail: things are moving on slowly now, so just a couple of new things to raise with you good people, I can now officially announce that my good friend will be joining me on this new venture as this is going to be one big project for one man alone :drink_mini: my friend is an expert scratch builder and his electric skills are second to none so all I have to do is chuck some cash at him and watch him work :biggrin_mini2: only joking ;) I will help him.

The layout will now be 40ft long by 2ft 8inch wide, that's the other change, still will be a terminus station though.

Also I have purchased some benches and platform shelters that have been made from kits....

nse3.jpg

nse2-1.jpg

nse4.jpg

A scratch built ticket machine (Still missing the NSE flash)

002-4-1.jpg

And the start of the station building very similar in style to my 00 version.

005-4-1.jpg

Thats all for for now,

Whilst my O guage interests are firmly set in the SECR period, its good to see the development of a modern (ish) layout. I'll definitly be following this with interest.

Don't forget that by stretching the bounds of reality slightly you could have toothpaste flavoured 03 and 08s :)

Hi Jack,

Many thanks I hope you enjoy the new venture, toothpaste 08 is on the cards :yes: watch this space!!!!!

Hi Darren,

Wasn't that long ago you were urging me to sell my 7mm and buy up loads of Hornby hoovers! :D

Welcome to O gauge mate, you're going to love it.

Going by the level of detail you achieved in your previous layout, I'm really looking forward to this one.

All the best,

Gene.

Hi Gene,

Me urging you to sell your 7mm stock, you must have been mistaken :blush: I am loving all thing 0 at this early stage :yes:

I hope not to disappoint on the detail front :mail:

Many thanks Darren NSE DAZ

Darren, I'll look forward to seeing this one. Peter Clark's thumper does look rather good. But, just one thing - cancel that PRMRP 50 and get a JLTRT one. The shape is so so much better. Yes there are the issues with the windscreens like the Hornby ones, but it's 100% closer to the real thing than the PRMRP.

Cheers

Tom

Hi Tom,

Just seen the Peter Clark Thumper in the flesh today at the O gauge trade show at Reading it looks superb and must admitt really looking forward to getting my mitts on her :sungum: The PRMRP 50 order is to late to cancel as deposit was paid over a month ago and construction has started, to be honest these guy's were also at the show today and had a large logo 50 Hood on show, it look fantastic :locomotive: fair point though the JLTRT version was also on display and this was also a beauty,

All the best

Darren NSE DAZ

Sectorisation in O sounds great. I'm stuck in steam WR in O but the sectorisation was my spotting era. Will watch with interest.

Hi Steve, If sectorisation was your spotting era, watch this space, it could bring some good memories back :sungum:

Looking forward to this one Daz, I remember the inspirational layout you mention. I've got a couple of pictures somewhere Good luck with this one... Scott

Hi Scott,

Peter Clarks layout is fantastic, see if you can dig those pictures out :yes:

Hope you enjoy

Thanks guy's Darren NSE DAZ

Wishing you all the best darren in this latest venture and certainly look forward to seeing glorious. regards. richard.

Hi Richard,

Thank you very much, and thanks for your continuous support :yes:

• RMweb Premium

Very nice Darren!

I know its not 7mm but how about some 4mm EM NSE inspiration from yesteryear - Walford Town

post-7686-0-11166600-1322955424_thumb.jpg

post-7686-0-29645500-1322955458_thumb.jpg

post-7686-0-43868700-1322955484_thumb.jpg

post-7686-0-77276300-1322955519_thumb.jpg

It was a 'current scene' project when we built Walford, its amazing (and frankly shocking) that it was 20 odd years ago.

The layout doesn't get out much nowadays (we retired it from the exhibition circuit around 1999). However, it will appear again in 2012 at the Leamington & Warwick Show at Stoneleigh on 21/22 January (apologies for the shameless plug!). Might be a bit far from Dorset but I'm sure you'd appreciate it.

Who remembers 'Texas' (see first photo - backscene buildings). One of the most heard comments by the operators back in the day from the kids was - 'Look! Mum/Dad/Grandad (etc), its TEXAS!'

Walford was old Eastern Region so no 50/Thumpers, I'm afraid, but a 33 and a 73 were part of the fleet.

I'll watch your thread with interest. Good luck!

Hi Daz,

Just been catching up on your new thread. The new platform furniture looks great, the Ticket machine is superb I remeber seeing them.

I must admit I have been tempted with 7mm stuff over the years, I have a few wagons and conversion kit for a class 33 to 27 to do one day but for now I am sticking with my 4mm stuff. Best of luck with the new layout, a class 50 with smoke unit will be hellfire.

Hi Tim, thanks for posting Pics of Walford I remember seeing it few times and always loved it.

Cheers Peter.

Hi Tim,

Many thanks for your pictures of Walford Town a very inspirational layout thanks for sharing :drinks: Looks like a trip to Leamington & Warwick Show at Stoneleigh in January is on the cards :good_mini:

Texas what a store :dirol_mini:

Hi Daz,

Just been catching up on your new thread. The new platform furniture looks great, the Ticket machine is superb I remeber seeing them.

I must admit I have been tempted with 7mm stuff over the years, I have a few wagons and conversion kit for a class 33 to 27 to do one day but for now I am sticking with my 4mm stuff. Best of luck with the new layout, a class 50 with smoke unit will be hellfire.

Cheers Peter.

Hi Peter,

Many thanks for your comments, yes its a big change from 4mm still adjusting now :scratchhead:

I really am looking forward to the 50 :sungum: Release the clagg :locomotive:

Hi all,

Just thought I would share this track plan with you all, and see what you guy's think? This is using Peco Bullhead O gauge rail.

Any suggestions comments would be much appreciated :imsohappy:

file.php?id=9074

Sorry the image is small but that was the only way to upload :yes:

Many thanks

Darren NSE DAZ

Archived