Shaftesbury O gauge NSE venture

NSE DAZ

Hi Darren

The track & points are going to be peco thanks for advise on which track to get.I thing if i try making it i might need a skip out side or west bay will have a scrap yard on the beach?Are you going to make any stock yourself or is better to let Peter Clark,PRMRP,JLTRT build them.

Steve

Hi Steve,

I can see that skip on West Bay beach now :no: to be honest when you paint up the Peco track it looks fantastic :sungum:

My 205 and Class 50 are being built by Peter and PRMRP as these are the first ever loco's for me in O and to be honest just have not got the time to construct them, the 47 I have planed next is a ready to run one from Heljan so again no skills from me :paint: but it's not cheap having these made up and I will be giving a kit ago my self soon possibly just a coach as I dont want to mess a loco up just yet as the skip will be outside my house :drag:

If you are requiring Peter to make one of these kits up be prepared to wait for around 6-8 months for completion as his work load seems to be quite booked in at the moment, he is a really approachable guy you could give him a call he will give you a better guidance :mail:

JTLRT kits are a resin type and are bonded together with a special type glue so if soldering is not your thing maybe give one of these kits ago?

You never know what Dapol could bring out next :senile:

All the best Darren NSE DAZ

Hi Darren

I think waiting that long for a Loco is to long for me so i will make them myself.The layout will be finnished before the Loco then i could put pictures on the web as a closed station and line.I could take it to a exhibition set it up then have chance to look at other layouts :sungum: The fun bits over i will give peter&PRMRP a ring size,s of locos&EMUs so i know wot room i have.That picture of the Heljan 33 looks stunning keep looking at it.

Steve

Can I ask roughly how much a completed and painted NSE 205 costs? Not necessarily looking for sound and smoke although might DCC it (which I could probably achieve myself).

I am sitting down, by the way.

Hi cromptonnut, I hope you are sitting down, the 2-Car kit cost's £310 to have this painted and made will cost you around £700 making this 2-Car unit around £1010 (If lights, sound, smoke unit and passengers fitted you can add another £250 to this price) :O

But for a more detailed price contact Peter Clark I was quoted this price back in October 2011 :mail:

Have you fell on the floor :drag:

Hi Darren

I think waiting that long for a Loco is to long for me so i will make them myself.The layout will be finnished before the Loco then i could put pictures on the web as a closed station and line.I could take it to a exhibition set it up then have chance to look at other layouts :sungum: The fun bits over i will give peter&PRMRP a ring size,s of locos&EMUs so i know wot room i have.That picture of the Heljan 33 looks stunning keep looking at it.

Steve

Hi Steve I know what you mean, I have had the 50 and 205 on order since October last year and I still have around a month left until they are completed :senile:

I can tell you that my 2-Car 205 is going to be around 38 inches long, just over 3 foot when completed so this might give you some sort of idea :mail: That 33 does look the biz :sungum:

Look forward to your build with this project

Sounds like the kit's gone up about £100 since then so I guess that, sadly, it's unlikely I'll be adding a thumper to my O gauge fleet (which at the moment consists of a part built wagon kit, a Bachmann 122 chassis (the body's in the paintshop) and a half built brass shunter, any time in the next couple of months.

I'm hoping the new Dapol catalogue will solve many of my problems - particularly wagons - although I'd still really love a thumper, particularly with sound. However, at the current planning my scenic section is only barely longer than a thumper!

Hi Darren

Thats it the work will start on my new layout rang PRMRP today to get the sizes of the locos i need they ringing me back tues or weds so a 33 kit will be on its way to Dorset.No looking back now just got to remember it 7mm not 4mm.Best of luck with yours.

Steve

Hi Darren

Thats it the work will start on my new layout rang PRMRP today to get the sizes of the locos i need they ringing me back tues or weds so a 33 kit will be on its way to Dorset.No looking back now just got to remember it 7mm not 4mm.Best of luck with yours.

Steve

Hi Steve, well done :sungum: Welcome to the world of 0 :senile: look forward to your new venture.

Talking of PRMRP they have just sent me another picture update of my 50 Glorious with the first coat of blue and yellow ends :locomotive:

untitledio.png

The toothpaste scheme will soon be unleashed :paint:

More soon

Hi Darren

PRMRP rang me back on tuesday i should have my 33 by the 13th this month.Started building my southern signal brushing up my soldering skills not bad so far.Your 50 is looking good.

Steve

Hi Daz, Glorious looks fantastic in her first coat of paint. Looking forward to seeing the completed version of her (and the nameplate so it reads "Glorious Network SouthEast") :jester:

I ordered Achilles in NSE late last week which arrived in the post today, but I have to wait till my birthday earlier this month to get my hands on her!

Cheers

William

Hi William,

Cheers mate, yes I am quite excited about the finish article, Good choice with Achilles :sungum: hope you don't have to wait to long to get your hands on her :locomotive:

I had a further picture update today from PRMRP she now has the toothpaste livery applied :sungum:

untitled56.png

I think once the transfers are applied plus a light coat of weathering she will look the biz :triniti:

Also the first section of track was put down today (about blooming time) not much but enough to make me happy, I will post a couple of pics of this tomorrow.

I must say working with the code 124 rail is very pleasing I was really getting into it, as if I was laying the real main line, nice sturdy track :yes:

Cheers all

Darren NSE DAZ

Hi all,

As mentioned the very first section of track has been laid at Shaftesbury on board number 8 :senile: (the main station section) This is only a very small section but it's a start that has been meaning to happen for a very long time :yes:

My friend will be coming over later to help align board number 7 up to board 8 to let the track laying commence :locomotive:

It all looks neat straight lines at the moment but this will change soon :mail:

Still we have a couple of pics not exciting but evidence Shaftesbury is being bought to life :paint:

002-45.jpg

001-40.jpg

Other news 50 033 will be arriving at Shaftesbury in the next couple of weeks, PRMRP have contacted me and advised the works is near completion :locomotive: so hopefully should have a further picture update of this very soon :sungum:

Also four modern buffer stops from PH Designs have been ordered (some time back, Sorry for the long wait for your payment Pete :blush: ) Pete has these in 7mm scale now I think once painted red they will look the biz!!

http://www.rmweb.co....lt-buffer-stop/

Still that's all for now,

What size baseboards are you using?

Hi cromptonnut,

The baseboard in the picture is 4 foot long by 2 foot 8 inch wide, there are eight of these boards the same size in total for the scenic section this making the scenic section 32 foot long by 2 foot 8 inches wide.

Hope that helps,

Thanks, thought it looked slighly out of 4ft x 2ft. Looking forward to seeing more of it develop, and particularly the delivery of your 50.

No problems, yes the 50 has given me that drive to get some track down :locomotive:

Baseboard number 7 has had some track added today, alignment to board 8 went well, my friend trimmed the rails with a dremel what a fantastic bit of kit :yes:

There is still a further two rails to lay on this board, but I have now run out of track, what you see on these two boards is one whole box of flexi :umbrage: plus I am waiting delivery for more cork :yes:

Still progress is happening.

Today's pictures........

004-49.jpg

005-46.jpg

Placing some platform edging up to get the idea of the platform placement....

011-33.jpg

012-23.jpg

The edging on this board used 15 sections and still not complete I am looking around 75 sections to complete the platform edging :imsohappy:

Finally the two board in there storage racks for the night.....

013-22.jpg

Thanks for looking more very soon out to get more supplies!!!

• RMweb Gold

Only just found this thread.

Liking this a lot...that 50 is hellfire...and this is not helping me to resist with further dabbling with 7mm.

Looking good and definately will be keeping tabs on this one... :yes:

Only just found this thread.

Liking this a lot...that 50 is hellfire...and this is not helping me to resist with further dabbling with 7mm.

Looking good and definately will be keeping tabs on this one... :yes:

Hi and welcome to Shaftesbury :yes: Glourius will be hellfire :locomotive: I can not wait to get my hands on her.

Glad you like what you see, many thanks

Looking good Daz, Nice to see the track going down, can't wait to see the thumper ticking over in the platform.

graham.

Hi graham, yes this has been a long time in the making but things are moving on nicely now :senile: My poor 205 has had not much attention at the moment probably as I have no pictures of this build yet, but as you say when she arrives it will be different (4-6 Weeks time) :sungum: I could leave this unit thumping away at the platform all day, music to my ears :yes:

Thanks both

Darren NSE DAZ

ooh its coming along nicely Daz... Will you be able to resist playing instead of laying track and scenery when the bad ass 50 turns up???

Nice progress mate..

Cheers

Scott

Hi Scott, the simple answer to this is no :no: that's why I am trying to put as much track down as possible before Glorious arrives :senile:

Thanks mate,

Darren NSE DAZ

I'm sure you're aware and that the platform edges are only put down to show where things go but just in case, you know they're almost all back to front...

Hi cromptonnut, The platform edging is the correct position in the picture (obviously it will be straighter :yes: ) I think the picture is not that clear here is a close up shot

001-42.jpg

002-46.jpg

This is the southern style platform edging ;)

Hi Darren

Its looking great.Will you be sticking the platform edge onto the cork or will you be cutting cork out and sticking to the plywood.

Thanks

Steve

Hi Steve,

No all the cork will be trimmed to form a shoulder for the ballast before any structure is put in place, I only laid the cork in this way as it was cheap cork from work and found it just as easy to cover the boards and trim what I needed to at a later stage.

The platform edging will be stuck to the plywood bot also to the side of the MDF the platform will be simular to what I done on my oo version this made it a solid platform :yes:

016.jpg

017.jpg

Hope this helps

Thanks all Darren NSE DAZ

Daz

Makes you realise how much space you need doesn't it!

This is going to look really good when it's finished Daz. Keep the photos coming

Paul R

Hi Paul, yes it certainly does as mentioned this is one whole box of flexi and I still have another 6 scenic boards plus a fiddle yard left to do :O

Still it will be worth it in the end :)

Cheers

Darren NSE DAZ

Hi all,

Today my spray paint turned up from Howes Models, I must say fantastic service I only ordered this yesterday morning :O

So with not another track at the moment to carry on laying I thought I would give some track rusting ago on some tester track :paint:

Now I must say another bonus to O gauge is that you can spray the side of the rails a rusty color this means a faster application and a lot less tedious then when I had to paint my 00 rail by hand (Some times this was relaxing but only sometimes :jester: )

See the pictures below on how the applications were applied....

The test track pre-paint

006-45.jpg

The whole track (rails/sleepers) coated in sleeper grime

004-50.jpg

The track centre and ends was masked off the a coat of rust applied, it looks red at this stage but it gets better :mail:

008-38.jpg

The tape is removed to reveal a rusty rail plus rail chairs

011-34.jpg

012-24.jpg

Then to finish off a light coating of sleeper grime is applied to dull down the red rust

022-12.jpg

023-14.jpg

024-8.jpg

That's it job done :sungum: I think this will be the method I use when the track weathering is taking place at Shaftesbury, obviously there will be more oil patches ect...added but this will be done when the ballast is down, the best part this took less than five minutes :locomotive:

Let me know what you think? before I order a lorry load of paint :no:

Archived