Shaftesbury O gauge NSE venture

NSE DAZ

Thankyou, I had come across the Skytrex one previously but don't know anyone else who had bought any.

I need some for my O gauge project - 4ft is probably about right for my needs. It'll be a while till I need to buy some though so it will be nice to see how you get on with it and what sort of results you get.

What are you proposing to use for the platform surface?

Are you going to use the matching Peco LK744 southern style concrete fencing panels?

Thankyou, I had come across the Skytrex one previously but don't know anyone else who had bought any.

I need some for my O gauge project - 4ft is probably about right for my needs. It'll be a while till I need to buy some though so it will be nice to see how you get on with it and what sort of results you get.

What are you proposing to use for the platform surface?

Are you going to use the matching Peco LK744 southern style concrete fencing panels?

No problems cromptonnut,

I think once these are weathered up they will look the part :yes: the platform surface will be made out of 6mm MDF with under supports, the platform will be 12ft long so by using larger sheets of MDF it eliminates to many joins, the only joins will be where the base boards separate ;) the platform will then be painted in concrete gray masonry paint and weathered, the same method I used on my oo gauge layout, it does not look to bad when completed :imsohappy:

I have a good supply of the Peco Southern style concrete fencing, and yes this will be used around the station platform, a must for any Southern layout :yes:

All the best

Darren NSE DAZ

• 1 month later...

Hi all,

Me and my good friend have finalised the track plan tonight with a few minor adjustments over the original

Sorry its a bit small but this is the best I could do

PlanRevised45.jpg

Note each number board (Red number) represents a 4ft board section so boards one to eight make up 32ft long scenic section (Fiddle yard to follow)

The longest platform is platform two which will nearly be 15ft long, which in the world of O is not that long

Still I hope this gives you all some idea to what we are working to

:paint:

Also base boards 6 7 & 8 have been made up :senile: I placed these three boards on the patio to see them all together, this is when the whole scale of this project started to kick in :O there is still another five baseboards and already the station three boards have filled my patio up :scratchhead: in total these three board are 12ft long.

009-37.jpg

007-35.jpg

I then got a bit carried away and opened a new box of code 124 flexi track and started placing them on the boards :sungum: again the shock kicked in, I used the whole box of flexi and I still have not completed the station scene :O but it still felt good placing this track on the boards :senile:

011-32.jpg

010-24.jpg

Over the next couple of weeks it will be time time to lay some track :locomotive: and put Shaftesbury back on the map :triniti:

Thanks to Duncan for his help with these top quality boards,three down five more to go :beee:

All the best Darren NSE DAZ

Hi all,

Yesterday I popped down to the Kettering O Gauge trade show where for the first time seen my class 50 in the flesh, I mean in the flesh :locomotive: the guy's that are constructing 50 033 Glorious for me (PRMRP) bought the loco in for me to see pre painting stage so I could check on the progress :sungum: I was very happy she looked stunning

:yes:

The four exhaust pods have had there custom exhaust system fitted so the clagg will flow evenly from each port, link to the light and smoke unit that is being installed http://www.peterclar.../lightsmoke.htm

Hopefully it will not be long know before she is painted in the NSE color scheme and sent my way for operation (Better crack on with the track!!!!)

I managed to get a couple of shots not the clearest but enough to get me excited!!!

014-21.jpg

015-19.jpg

Still better crack on all this talk about loco's but we need some track to run them on!!!!!!

All the best

Darren NSE DAZ

Hi all,

Forgot to mention my friend that is helping me with this venture Duncan is starting to create the fantastic 442 Wessex and when we was at the Kettering show yesterday he picked up the cab fronts, its early days but they look superb :sungum:

001-6-1.jpg

Of coarse this will be painted in the NSE livery.

He will be picking up the side etches for the Buffet car next week end as soon as he makes progress I will update you all :locomotive:

I'd like to type a long reply and tell you how impressive this looks, but I'm afraid my keyboard is now swimming in a pool of drool.

My O gauge project is going nowhere at the moment, the total space I have available is less than your platform.

My passion for the larger scale started late last year after visiting an exhibition at Basingstoke, all I can remember of the show (apart from Kevin's Leaford and the guys :good_mini: ) was this fantastic NSE themed O gauge layout Leavesden created by Peter Clark with your typical NSE stock all with sound and the icing on the cake was all that beautiful clagg spilling out of the exhaust pods of the locos when pulling out of the station, unfortunately I had to leave the show in a hurry and did not manage to find out to much about the creator / owner but after a bit of home work I found that the creator of Leavesden "Peter Clark" also sold these kits on his own site so happy times ahead :senile:

I am so pleased to read that you found inspiration at our 2011 Basingstoke show. I hope that you come to the 2012 show because you will be able to see another 7mm "modern image" layout called Invergeachy. I was impressed with Leavesden when at our show in March last year and whilst talking to Peter Clark he remarked that one of his operators, Jim McGeachy, had a layout repesenting Scot Rail. After talking to Jim during the show I asked him to bring Invergeachy to our 2012 show, see here. I understand that Peter Clark will be assisting Jim at the show.

regards, Graham Beare

• RMweb Premium

Darren

I can confirm that Invergeachy is well worth a look too, it was behind us at the Tonbridge show, the Leaford crew will be there on the Saturday morning as well. Your welcome to come over to Exford Park for a look as well if you like?

How nice is that 50 going to be, I hope I get the opportunity to see it in all its glory close up when completed.

Hi Darren,

The boards look great, I like the trackplan too though no cross over in platforms 3&4. The class 50 is looking good too I bet you can't wait. It will look superb with heaps of clag coming out the exhaust ports.

Cheers Peter.

Darren I can confirm that Invergeachy is well worth a look too, it was behind us at the Tonbridge show, the Leaford crew will be there on the Saturday morning as well. Your welcome to come over to Exford Park for a look as well if you like? How nice is that 50 going to be, I hope I get the opportunity to see it in all its glory close up when completed.

Hi Ian,

Yes I have seen Invergeachy at the Bristol O Gauge exhibition back in January this year, but I would not mind seeing it again :sungum:

That's a shame I will be going over on the Sunday with Duncan the guy that has joined me on this wacky adventure as we are meeting up with Peter Clark to collect the etched overlays for the Buffet car to use on the 442 that Duncan is creating, Saturday we are both working :cry:

Thanks for the invite to Exford Park I will take you up on this offer when I have some spare time that would be good, also when things are starting to take shape with Shaftesbury your more than welcome here :yes:

Yes I am having many sleepless nights thinking about the finished Glorious 8) she will be the pride of my fleet (I have no fleet at the moment but you know what I mean :imsohappy: )

All the best

Darren NSE DAZ

I'd like to type a long reply and tell you how impressive this looks, but I'm afraid my keyboard is now swimming in a pool of drool. My O gauge project is going nowhere at the moment, the total space I have available is less than your platform.

Cheers cromptonut, hope your keyboard has dried out :no: :lol_mini:

It's not all about the space it's the quality of the build :dirol_mini: It will all go together for you in the end :yes:

Many thanks

Darren NSE DAZ

I am so pleased to read that you found inspiration at our 2011 Basingstoke show. I hope that you come to the 2012 show because you will be able to see another 7mm "modern image" layout called Invergeachy. I was impressed with Leavesden when at our show in March last year and whilst talking to Peter Clark he remarked that one of his operators, Jim McGeachy, had a layout repesenting Scot Rail. After talking to Jim during the show I asked him to bring Invergeachy to our 2012 show, see here. I understand that Peter Clark will be assisting Jim at the show.

regards, Graham Beare

Hi Graham,

So it's you I have to blame for my whole change of scale in the model world :no:

Firstly I must comment on what a fantastic show you guy's put on at Basingstoke :sungum: one of my best outings of the year :yes: the line up looks good this year as well.

As mentioned I have seen Invergeachy at Bristol where I met Jim, but this is a layout you could see over and over again and not get board of it, tremendous 8) Peter Clark will be in attendance as I am picking some bit's and bob's up from him on the Sunday :good:

Maybe one day I could show Shaftesbury at one of you shows :locomotive:

All the best

Darren NSE DAZ

Hi Darren,

The boards look great, I like the trackplan too though no cross over in platforms 3&4. The class 50 is looking good too I bet you can't wait. It will look superb with heaps of clag coming out the exhaust ports.

Cheers Peter.

Hi Peter,

Many thanks, yes we decided not to have a cross over in platforms 3 & 4 in the end as we have chosen to operate like Waterloo when the loco hauled unit one arrives it will just uncouple and a fresh unit two from the refueling area will haul the train back to its destination whilst unit number one makes its way to the refueling area where this process starts all over again :scratchhead: confused I am!!!!!!!!

Yes I can not wait to crank her over and let the clagg fill my living room :drag: better make sure the wife is at work when this happens :nono:

All the best

Darren NSE DAZ

Wow, this looks like it will be amazing. I am not usually interested in NSE or O Gauge but this layout will be stunning. I will be watching with interest!

Thanks Stephen, glad you like what you are seeing, will post a video up of the 50 as soon as I get my hands on her :locomotive:

Cheers

Darren NSE DAZ

So it's you I have to blame for my whole change of scale in the model world :no:

Maybe one day I could show Shaftesbury at one of you shows :locomotive:

Not me Guv., you made the decision, our Club just provided the stimulus. Come to think about it, if you spent all of your time engrossed with Leavesden then you missed other treats like The Engine Shed and Knockley Gate the Third!!!!!!!!!

As to Shaftesbury, the length is just so at the moment... please do not let it grow anymore!

regards, Graham

Hi Daz,

good to see some photographic evidence of your monster project.. The track plan looks good as does the 50... Make sure the battery is out of the smoke alarm when you fire her up!

Hi Scott,

Likewise I have been waiting to snap a shot of the 50 for ages, just to prove to myself I am taking on this new project :yes: Yes I think I am now happy with how the track plan looks and think that this will be the final version :senile:

Yes all smoke alarms will be muted prior the fire up :triniti:

Cheers

That PRMRP class 50 looks superb as do your plans for the NSE layout...........keep up the good work ! :good_mini:

Cheers Phill :)

Hi Phill,

Many thanks I was concerned how she would turn out as a few people mentioned JLTRT version is better but I was pleasantly surprised the PRMRP version is tremendous :yes:

All the best

Darren NSE DAZ

Hi Darren!

This looks amazing I had to look twice at the 50.

When it's sprayed and weathered that's going to look the absolute business!

The very best of luck! I'm going to watch closely.

Jack.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Darren,

This looks like an interesting project. Just think that it is a pity that you can't bring in some gentle curves and have the platforms and tracks not parallel to the baseboard edge. Iain Rice is so right about that making a massive difference to a layout's realism. But I recognise that would cut down on the number of tracks you could fit in on 51.5cm wide boards.

Suspect that I may live quite close to you! Is all your trackage going to be 124BH or will you use 143FB on the mainline? I have a box that I could let you have and few other bits and pieces. I would love to model in O - not least for the possibilities with road vehicles - but I am struggling for enough space for OO and have been working up plans for N gauge.

• RMweb Gold

Hi cromptonnut,

Yes this is the Skytrex one http://www.ogauge.co.uk/598/platforms/ Concrete Platform Facing & Edging 50" long for £35

Hope that helps

Cheers Darren NSE DAZ

I think Skytrex have done a lot of good stuff in quite a short space of time. But £9 a foot for platform edging seems a bit steep! With the length you have got to do, I would suggest making up a short section and getting a mould made. The vertical ribs of the concrete can hide the joins neatly.

Hi Darren!

This looks amazing I had to look twice at the 50.

When it's sprayed and weathered that's going to look the absolute business!

The very best of luck! I'm going to watch closely.

Jack.

Hi Jack,

Many thanks, I can not wait for the final finish on the 50 hopefully within a few days I will have some more pictures of the paint application :locomotive: as soon as I receive them I will update you all.

Hi Darren,

This looks like an interesting project. Just think that it is a pity that you can't bring in some gentle curves and have the platforms and tracks not parallel to the baseboard edge. Iain Rice is so right about that making a massive difference to a layout's realism. But I recognise that would cut down on the number of tracks you could fit in on 51.5cm wide boards.

Suspect that I may live quite close to you! Is all your trackage going to be 124BH or will you use 143FB on the mainline? I have a box that I could let you have and few other bits and pieces. I would love to model in O - not least for the possibilities with road vehicles - but I am struggling for enough space for OO and have been working up plans for N gauge.

Hi Joseph, Thanks for your interest, I know what you mean about adding a few gentle curves but wanted to maximise the track usage on the baseboard,Platform 4 will have a slightly curved track and platform near the end which does not really show in the plan plus the scenic buildings look like they are flush against the back board but will be placed at angles to give a more realistic effect.

The track we are using is 124BH as we are adding a third rail we intend to use is code 100 which looks good against the 124 but not so good against the 143.

I take it you are in the Dorset area? If you have a few bits and bobs that would be great???

I think Skytrex have done a lot of good stuff in quite a short space of time. But £9 a foot for platform edging seems a bit steep! With the length you have got to do, I would suggest making up a short section and getting a mould made. The vertical ribs of the concrete can hide the joins neatly.

This is what we have done, we created a mould and made up the platform sections as we needed around 55ft of platform edging this would have cost around £500 :O but the casts only cost around £40

All the best

Darren NSE DAZ

Archived