Squires in administration

A big shock that one. The new catalogue only arrived a few weeks ago too and so it looks like we will have to go shopping around instead of getting it all from one outlet.

Very sad indeed.

On the same day as Comet too. Looks like the buyer got a lot of stock for £2.00...

• RMweb Gold

A very sad loss. The best reason to visit Bognor, too - the shop was even more of a gold mine than the exhibition stand. A salutory reminder of the recession and how it affects the "smaller" traders.

Guest 40-something

Thats very sad news indeed, also looked forward to seeing their stand at exhibitions and were always a joy to order from over the phone.

They couldn't supply what was in their catalogue when i'd tried to order so I gave up on them, I guess the inability to get a web shop sorted will have ensured they lost out to competition.

Its a shame for the employees but the company itself couldn't keep up with modern selling methods.

Craig, I don't know what you were trying to order but I always got what I wanted and very quickly. It is difficult to imagine anywhere else with such a range of products under one roof/catalogue and I agree with others that Squires will be sadly missed.

What "competition" did you have in mind? We need to know so we can shop there after the end of December!

Chris

If this means the end of squires? its a real shame for Roger and His staff and a major retrograde step for our hobby.

Being pedantic however.... I have been noticing of late that unless Squires attends a show you can find it a struggle to purchase many modelling materials and tools outside of the most basic OO ranges. If this news means no Squires stands on the circuit any more? I hope that those traders who should be supplying similar ranges... seize the nettle and get some stock for us to buy! By that I mean complete stands of plastic/paint/metal etc not one or two dusty items in a half empty rack! But by the same respect and as has been touched upon already on this thread... if we don't support them via buying something then they will disappear too!

Squires has given us as hobbyists; an as close as we can ever expect to see... one stop shop.. why has it failed? such is not really for us to assume here... but might I suggest that we did not spend enough with them?

Tragic for all concerned.

Mark

This is a big hit for me.

I regularly place an order with Squires for consumables and receive very good service.

Such a shame when it appeared that they had their service just right.

One wonders what went wrong.

Stock levels perhaps?

I've never visited their shop, but always got good service from them if ordering by fax or phone, often by return. Occasionally some items weren't available ex-stock but back-order waiting time was never inconveniently long.

I often wondered why they never went to a proper web-based shopping model, maybe they thought their arts/crafts customer demographic had too many non-internet users? But the telephone directory catalogues supplied free to anyone who asked can't have been cheap to produce and distribute, and in hindsight an apparent increase in out-of-stock items could have been them trying to minimise dead stock levels and boost cash when they were struggling.

Still a sad loss.

Very sad loss, and one that I suspect will hit me and others harder than we expect. With the effective demise of Mainly Trains afew years ago they had become a substitute source for a lot of basic stuff . Where do I buy things like rail colour enamel paints, embossed styrene , basic scenic materials etc etc now? No local model shop, no Mainly Trains, no Squires... When you run out during a project it's going to be rather difficult to source. That's without even considering the tools

Bleak Christmas for all the staff

This is a geat shame, Rodger was a stalwart supporter of the Plymouth show for many years when I used to run it.

If ever a man worked hard to build his business he did, wiith regard to e commerce he did try it early on but being a self confessed technophobe relied on a relative to develop this side of the business, unfortunately the gent let him down big time and the project floundered due to the expansion of the other parts of the empire taking all of Rodgers available time.

Arguably the only reason to go to Bognor has now disapeared.

Archived