The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Where have all our garden birds gone?

DDolfelin

Yes it's a good pic of those Goldfinches, at one time Goldfinches, and Greenfinches were the most common birds around here, the Greenfinches were hit by a disease, and the Goldfinch numbers have plummeted for what reason I don't know, but they were a good addition to the garden. But two breeds that seem to be on the increase, Wrens, and Woodpeckers. Red Kites are still rare, but Buzzards are plentiful on a sunny day it is common to see at least 6 circling in a thermal, my record still stands at 11, in one thermal up-draught, seen a few years ago above Corfe Castle. 

Edited by bike2steam

Lovely photo's. Your first one shows a male at the rear and partner at front AFAICT (99% certain). They are beautiful Finches and have done very well in the last couple of years.

P

How can you tell? Is it the extent of red on the face, which seems slightly different?

• RMweb Gold

New use for magpies!

I had a tree reduced in height last autumn which means the moss in my no longer shaded lawn has started to die back again.  The magpies are now doing a fantastic job of plucking out tufts of moss to find bugs to eat underneath.  I haven't figured out what they're eating yet but there's definitely a 'pluck it, chuck it aside and then peck at something' action going on.  What amazes me is how quickly and thoroughly they have cleared the moss.  All I need to do is vacuum it up as I mow.  No raking required.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

New use for magpies!

I had a tree reduced in height last autumn which means the moss in my no longer shaded lawn has started to die back again.  The magpies are now doing a fantastic job of plucking out tufts of moss to find bugs to eat underneath.  I haven't figured out what they're eating yet but there's definitely a 'pluck it, chuck it aside and then peck at something' action going on.  What amazes me is how quickly and thoroughly they have cleared the moss.  All I need to do is vacuum it up as I mow.  No raking required.

My "lawn" has been in full sun for the last 10 days or so, but it still doesn't stop the moss growing!

Magpies, fortunately only fly over and not stop here. they are too predatory for my liking, taking small songbirds for lunch. Yes I know it's natural but I still don't like them!

Keith

Some body posted that they had not seen Red Kites east of the A1.

Today a pair near Codicote within sight of the A1.

Regulars in the garden in recent years as well as Red Kites are are Herons, Peregrine Falcons and Little Egrets.

Ten years ago all would have been unusual.

The regular pair of Long Tailed Tits are back but  no sign of the Gold Crests.

Bernard

• RMweb Premium

Some body posted that they had not seen Red Kites east of the A1.

Today a pair near Codicote within sight of the A1.

Regulars in the garden in recent years as well as Red Kites are are Herons, Peregrine Falcons and Little Egrets.

Ten years ago all would have been unusual.

The regular pair of Long Tailed Tits are back but  no sign of the Gold Crests.

Bernard

It was me...... I really should not be driving down the A1 and staring out of the sun roof.........I think the Kites are probably here and continuing to spread eastwards; not sure why as there aren't a lot of hills or forests in Lincs :derisive:

• RMweb Gold

Ok for the twitchers out there -

what is this? my first thought a slender but medium/large sized, thrush shaped songbird was this was a redstart.

I didn't have my telephoto with me, but captured some shots, so apologies for the low res. Went out today with telephoto, and guess what nothing.

Thoughts are now based on markings on zoomed in image, a Nightingale?

post-6925-0-33615900-1397768603.jpg

post-6925-0-86984400-1397768743_thumb.jpg

Neil

ps not in the back garden but about a mile away!

Edited by Downendian

• RMweb Premium

Dunnock in my opinion.  Enlarged and lightened crop of your crop shows dark grey bill, orange-ish legs and grey head contrasting with streaky brown back.  Smaller than you thought, but size is very hard to judge on an isolated bird like this.

post-6813-0-30878900-1397778006.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Simon

It does very much look like a Dunnock when the streaks appear on it's back when you lightened the image.

It certainly looked much bigger than a Dunnock (Song Thrush size), but I'm willing to listen to more skilled ornithologists.

Neil

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Simon

It does very much look like a Dunnock when the streaks appear on it's back when you lightened the image.

It certainly looked much bigger than a Dunnock (Song Thrush size), but I'm willing to listen to more skilled ornithologists.

Neil

The Dunnock is one of our most common birds, looking a little like a sparrow and about the size of a Robin and two-thirds the size of a thrush

Keith

Dunnock in my opinion.  Enlarged and lightened crop of your crop shows dark grey bill, orange-ish legs and grey head contrasting with streaky brown back.  Smaller than you thought, but size is very hard to judge on an isolated bird like this.

attachicon.gifdownend.jpg

Not entirely convinced on dunnock - the beak looks too heavy and there's the white area above the legs. I agree about the difficulty with an isolated bird in a field, but comparing with the rape flowers it looks a bit bigger than a dunnock. I was wondering about buntings and pipits, but I can't find a match in my book unless it's an odd female or juvenile plumage.

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Simon

Neil

my wife Clare RSPB member thinks it could be a pied flycatcher

john

• RMweb Premium

The pale blob above the legs looks like a foreground flower to me (it's yellow on my monitor) and I think the thick bill is an illusion cause by a pale artefact above it.

I see how the pale neck contrasting with the cheek could suggest pied flycatcher, but I don't think the rest of the bird supports this (legs should be dark for one thing).  I'm sticking with dunnock.

• RMweb Premium

Sparrowhawk chasing the sparrows around the hedge in the front garden this afternoon.

I disturbed it when I went to put the car in the garage, although it was reluctant to leave at first, just ignoring me as if I wasn't there!

Keith