The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Where have all our garden birds gone?

DDolfelin

Yeh right.......pull the other one ....were they queuing for your bird feeder  :mosking:

They really do gather in large numbers at one particular place in Alaska.

There is a very late run of Salmon and they come from miles around to feed up for the winter. 

I have seen photos and heard the story when I was out there.

I was unable to visit the spot as it is very remote and I was a few weeks too early in the year.

Google Bald Eagle gathering and it should produce some information.

Bernard

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

A Squadron of Long tail Tits passing through earlier with the usual Great Tits and Blue Tits mixed in too. As they moved through we realised that we had about 10 Sparrow on the feeders as well as a couple of Robins and a Wren bouncing around, Managed to snap a pic.

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

'Evidence' of a departed Dunnock (I think) on the path yesterday morning! Didn't see or hear anything but almost ceratinly a Sparrowhawk meal.

Anyway, very brief in/out seed snatch from two Coal Tits this morning. First I've seen in the garden this season.

Phil 

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Was sat in the Conservatory at brekki this a.m. when 'our' Blackbird told me that he was fed up with the other 5 incomer BBs who were coming over here, taking all our seeds and suet pellets and he couldn't understand what they were tweeting. Then he really went for it when a squadron of approximately 30 Starling literally dropped in and scoffed his intended meal whilst he was conversisng with me and he turned to see that lot flock off. Nearby, three Reed Bunting were having a good nosh and giving the local Sparrow gang a good telling off for a change. Next door had thrown out some old bread and that caused chaos when the Gulls, Magpies and Corvids spotted that. Blimey, it was a busy half hour and then peace reigned and the Dunnocks crept out and a couple of Blue Tits took advantage of the calm.

Good fun and we do tend to forget our 'regulars' even if they are overweight pigirons and Collar Doves.

We do have a Wren that skulks and a single Robin but they have not been in sight today.

Have stocked up with suitable supplies for the hols so they don't miss out.

ATB to you all.

Phil 

Edited by Mallard60022
  • Like 7

• RMweb Gold

Activity has certainly increased of late

We have acquired a robin with far more white feathers than he should have - at least two primaries on each wing are white

The other morning in the space of 30 mins we had this robin, wren, house sparrows, hedge sparrow, blackbirds, starlings, blue tit, great tit, goldfinch - plus heron, jackdaw and magpie passing over

All common place I know but still great to see....

Phil

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

In my other 'garden' I am told there is a Mediterranean Gull. So what you may ask? Well, looking from the windows, over the lake, there are usually around 5000 Gulls; yes there are a lot. What intriuges me is how someone can see a b####y Med Gull in that lot when they are generally just sat in the water! damn twitchers!

May I wish you all a peaceful Christmas and may 2017 bring many interesting birdies to your patch.

Sincerely,

Phil (and despite others believing it, I am not actually a Drake)  :whistle:

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Signing off for Christmas with: 12 goldfinch, 6 greenfinch, blue tits, chaffinch, a pair of blackbirds, collared dove. No goldcrest today, but has been here most days. Just seen a mistle thrush, very Christmassy.

• Like 3