Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Where have all our garden birds gone?

DDolfelin

• RMweb Premium

Same here with a pair of blues and a pair of Coals plus the odd Goldie or two.

Not forgetting my little Wren friend staring at me through the kitchen window

:)

Edited by Tim Dubya
  • Like 3

Saw a few great tits this morning, along with a long-tailed couple nearby.

While maybe not a garden bird, round where I am currently the night is reigned by owls. Mostly tawny and I think there's a little owl somewhere, but I've also heard a screeching owl (which probably explains why I felt half asleep the following morning!)

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Saw a few great tits this morning, along with a long-tailed couple nearby.

While maybe not a garden bird, round where I am currently the night is reigned by owls. Mostly tawny and I think there's a little owl somewhere, but I've also heard a screeching owl (which probably explains why I felt half asleep the following morning!)

Tawny Owl is a garden bird here, mind you we do have 1/2 an acre with 20 trees!

Little Owl, cute.

• RMweb Gold

Does it count that our 3 chickens are wandering around the garden ?

Edit to add that a few weeks a go we found them hiding, it seems a Sparrowhawk had landed in their run with a pigeon and proceeded to strip it, they probably thought they were next.

Edited by chris p bacon
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

One of 'our' Reed Buntings is back; female I think. Today, we have our House Sparrow squadron, ususal Dunnock, Robin, Blue Tit, and Starlings as we have introduced fat balls and they spot them from miles away. Pigeons around but not bossing the field. Collar Doves popped in for a few secs!

Phil

Edited by Mallard60022
  • Like 5

• RMweb Premium

One of 'our' Reed Buntings is back; female I think. Today, we have our House Sparrow squadron, ususal Dunnock, Robin, Blue Tit, and Starlings as we have introduced fat balls and they spot them from miles away. Pigeons around but not bossing the field. Collar Doves popm in for 11ses!

Phil

Nice one... are you saying all the birds like your fat balls Phil? ;)

Various tits about, Goldie's, Robin, Wren and a particularly smart wood pigeon whose worked out how to use the sunflower feeder, must move that so everyone else gets a chance.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Have to wait see what finds it.

They'll all find it, it can take days, sometimes weeks for them to want to use it.

I could hear all the sparrows, hiding in next doors fir tree, chatting to each other as I refilled the fat balls this afternoon, they were relatively quiet until I got the bucket out

Edited by Tim Dubya
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium

They'll all find it, it can take days, sometimes weeks for them to want to use it.

I could hear all the sparrows, hiding in next doors fir tree, chatting to each other as I refilled the fat balls this afternoon, they were relatively quiet until I got the bucket out

Not so muct at this time of year, but in the spring and summer 'our' huge gang of House Sparrows always seem to have a loud argument/discussion at about 14.30 each day. I'd like to know why; is it Circadian Rhythms do you think?

Phil

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Hawfinch

Not generally a garden bird though......just watch for some lucky blighter

Nearest I would get to a Hawfinch is that there are some at Sherwood Forest (near Edwinstowe) I believe.

P

• Like 1