The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Where have all our garden birds gone?

DDolfelin

• RMweb Gold

Does anyone use shortbread biscuits as a food for birds? I've been given a big double pack of shortbread biscuits as a Christmas present and to be honest they really aren't my cuppa tea as a biscuit. Has anyone used them to mix in with bird food??? I can't think of many other uses for them. There isn't any chocolate in them they are just plain shortbread biscuits....I even asked my neighbours of they wanted some and the answer was a rather emphatic no.

I'll send you my address, they are the king of biscuits and should be worshipped.

• Like 1

I'll send you my address, they are the king of biscuits and should be worshipped.

Sorry...not my religion  :laugh:  :laugh:  I'm on a bit of a Malted Milk, Nice or Sainsburys own brand choccy chip cookie fetish at the moment. But I have recently got myself off a Bourbon and a choccy digestive addiction.

Edited by jetmorgan

• RMweb Premium

We were putting out old raisins on the floor for the blackbirds, which they like, but realised a few days ago that there's a rat taking most of it away. So we stopped that...

We have a fat ball eating rat, I've not seen it for a few days but it's in tip top condition.

A few Siskins about too.

• Like 2

We have a fat ball eating rat, I've not seen it for a few days but it's in tip top condition.

Rats are one of natures creations too. I'm glad he's getting a good feed during the cold spell. Although being fat, in tip top condition and now on the missing list, perhaps He's become part of the circle of life and is now contributing to an Owl, Hawk or Pussy cats tip top condition ;)

Our Magpie's are back looking for water and bacon rinds. Which they got both !!!

Edited by The Blue Streak
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Rats are one of natures creations too. I'm glad he's getting a good feed during the cold spell. Although being fat, in tip top condition and now on the missing list, perhaps He's become part of the circle of life and is now contributing to an Owl, Hawk or Pussy cats tip top condition ;)

Our Magpie's are back looking for water and bacon rinds. Which they got both !!!

Where I live Ratty would probably be contributing to a fox's tip top condition. :whistle:

• Like 1

Our house is close to the River Derwent. It's a friendly river because when there's been a lot of rain it likes to get even closer.

When this happens, all sorts of water fowl appear from seemingly nowhere to take to the water. Sadly not actually visible in this picture, I can assure you it is teeming with ducks various, geese (canada usually) and Mute swans. It also teems with birdwatchers who appear around the same time.

post-143-0-33856200-1514816765_thumb.jpg

steve

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Having not knowingly seen any Yellowhammer last year, in our 'other garden' today (Idle Valley NR/SSSI) we saw several flocks totalling around 50/60 birds. There were also a large number of Tree Sparrows and Meadow Pipets + a few Reed Bunting, all in the same field/hedges/bordering trees. Some of the male YH's were absolutely magnificent and a sbright as a Canary in full fledge. A truly wonderful start to the year.

Phil

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Having not knowingly seen any Yellowhammer last year, in our 'other garden' today (Idle Valley NR/SSSI) we saw several flocks totalling around 50/60 birds. There were also a large number of Tree Sparrows and Meadow Pipets + a few Reed Bunting, all in the same field/hedges/bordering trees. Some of the male YH's were absolutely magnificent and a sbright as a Canary in full fledge. A truly wonderful start to the year.

Phil

Right then, Idle Valley goes on our 'to visit' list!
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Right then, Idle Valley goes on our 'to visit' list!

You could get there in a couple of hours if Woodhead is OK. Opens at 10, closes at 16.00. Cafe food from 10 till 15.00; usually very busy from 12 till 14.00. Better in the Spring.

Tell me if you are coming if you would like a bit of a guided tour for serious birding.

ATB for 2018

Phil

• RMweb Premium

You could get there in a couple of hours if Woodhead is OK. Opens at 10, closes at 16.00. Cafe food from 10 till 15.00; usually very busy from 12 till 14.00. Better in the Spring.

Tell me if you are coming if you would like a bit of a guided tour for serious birding.

ATB for 2018

Phil

Probably April, we have a touring caravan so would stay for a week and explore the area.
  • Like 2

The Black Headed Gulls from the town centre were in a bit of a state this morning.

About ten were flying backwards and forwards across the garden and upsetting one of the cats.

Could it have been the fireworks that disturbed them?

The Red Kite is now a daily visitor and swoops down to see me with a shrieked greeting whenever I go down the garden.

Bernard 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

The Black Headed Gulls from the town centre were in a bit of a state this morning.

About ten were flying backwards and forwards across the garden and upsetting one of the cats.

Could it have been the fireworks that disturbed them?

The Red Kite is now a daily visitor and swoops down to see me with a shrieked greeting whenever I go down the garden.

Bernard 

The Gulls were possibly scanning the scattered remains of discarded MuckDunolds r some stale bits left in a neighbour's garden. They can spot stuff like that from 2000'.

Red Kite visitor sounds like fun though. Lucky you.

Phil 

The Gulls were possibly scanning the scattered remains of discarded MuckDunolds r some stale bits left in a neighbour's garden. They can spot stuff like that from 2000'.

Red Kite visitor sounds like fun though. Lucky you.

Phil 

We must be the only place where the clowns have moved out of the town centre.

Nothing is left for the gulls as the foxes scoff every last bit. They seem to like Peri Peri and spread the wrappers all over the place.

Much quieter today with just the occasional gull flying over.

There is a thrush about, which these days is something of a rarity.

It was checking out the ivy as the yew berries went long ago and the holly when we had the snow.

Just as I was going to harvest the berries for Christmas decorations. Can't begrudge the birds a feast in bad weather.

Bernard

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

We must be the only place where the clowns have moved out of the town centre.

Nothing is left for the gulls as the foxes scoff every last bit. They seem to like Peri Peri and spread the wrappers all over the place.

Much quieter today with just the occasional gull flying over.

There is a thrush about, which these days is something of a rarity.

It was checking out the ivy as the yew berries went long ago and the holly when we had the snow.

Just as I was going to harvest the berries for Christmas decorations. Can't begrudge the birds a feast in bad weather.

Bernard

Yes, the Thrush family are a rarity around here now. I miss their morning song that used to carry across the town when I used to walk to work a few years back.

Phil

• RMweb Premium

A few posts back I was bemoaning the fact that I had not heard a Thrush for a very long time. Well, today I was in town, near where I used to walk to work and lo, in the park, singing lustily, was a Song Thrush. Wonderful and I suspect it is a descendant of the one I used to hear 4  year ago as it is in exactly the same territory.

As for the Garden, damp and dismal and not so busy today as it isn'r bl##dy freezing.

Phil

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

I hope the blue tit is still on this page if anyone can identify it.

http://www.rarebirdalert.co.uk/RealData/gallery.asp?PhotoBy=9644

I saw that the other day (on here, not in real life). I think it is probably a hybrid of some sort. Looks like a cross between a Blue Tit and a Great Tit, or Med Gull! :sarcastichand:

P

• RMweb Premium

Don't think that's a tit. Looks more like a bunting to me. Rare for the UK for sure. Blown all the way from Siberia?

The nearest I can find is lazuli bunting, west USA though and the only similarity is the blue head.