RMweb

Where have all our garden birds gone?

DDolfelin

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

We now have 3 x fat ball and 1 x peanut feeders out. 

Visitors spotted so so far are starlings, blackbirds, tree sparrows and tits blue and great.

Hoping for more variety in future. (Yes, greedy I know.)

steve

• Like 3

Yes had our first greenfinch on the feeders yesterday for quite some time, plus a couple of goldfinches turning up. Sadly I think they will be largely absent in a few years time since the fields and hedges and trees up the road are being turned into "executive housing" - lots of it and living on the edge of a village on the edge of Norwich is turning into enduring a suburban existence (I am a country boy ) since the monstrosity called the Northern Distributor Route/Road (NDR), or the Broadland Northway as this particular t**d has been repolished by Norfolk County Council aka the "road to nowhere" by the locals. 

• Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold

Think the bird population in Churchdown has had a good year! Certainly the most activity I have seen since we moved in 10 years ago

Plenty of Blue Tits, plus Great. Coal and LT. Also plenty of house sparrows and starlings, plus Hedge sparrows, Blackbirds, robins, magpies, jackdaws, pigeons and doves. Best visitor is a Blackcap....

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Instead of severely pruning trashing the berry bearing shrubs alongside my house last summer the local council mearly gave them a trim and a Mohican haircut. The result was a mass of berries that has attracted a lot of the smaller birds such as tits and sparrows. The shrubs being dense and thorny  now also had a few nests last year. There has also been a pair of corvids around, not sure as to whether they are crows or ravens as they were to far away.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, Phil Bullock said:

Think the bird population in Churchdown has had a good year! Certainly the most activity I have seen since we moved in 10 years ago

Plenty of Blue Tits, plus Great. Coal and LT. Also plenty of house sparrows and starlings, plus Hedge sparrows, Blackbirds, robins, magpies, jackdaws, pigeons and doves. Best visitor is a Blackcap....

And most days there have been bumble bees in the cherry blossom!

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
17 hours ago, geoffers said:

....Sadly I think they will be largely absent in a few years time since the fields and hedges and trees up the road are being turned into "executive housing" - lots of it and living on the edge of a village on the edge of Norwich is turning into enduring a suburban existence (I am a country boy ) since the monstrosity called the Northern Distributor Route/Road (NDR), or the Broadland Northway as this particular t**d has been repolished by Norfolk County Council aka the "road to nowhere" by the locals. 

A rather interesting and somewhat scary piece in today’s Sunday Times indicates the rapid rate at which land has been converted from “green and pleasant” to urban sprawl over the past decade. It indicates by the methodology of the researchers (including OS mapping that is claimed to analyse to a square inch???) more than 8% of what was rural land has been converted to built areas, roads and car parks / hardstandings. It also concludes that the visual impact is also significantly more as development is vertical too.

We are in danger of destroying many of the habitats for wildlife. Is there an answer? Certainly an 8% rise in population over the decade is both locally and globally unsustainable and leads to the destruction of vast areas. 
Rant over - but something needs to be done now!

• Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 4

A couple of weeks ago, my wife phoned me from her father’s house. She had seen a long-legged, graceful dunnock in the garden. I guess it was a starling (any other ideas?), but, to avoid future confusion, a garden bird identification chart now adorns the kitchen wall at her dad’s house. Long-legged, graceful dunnock! Bless her.

• Like 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium

Any suggestions how to keep rats off the bird feeders?

Recently the black sunflower seeds started disappearing at a remarkable rate.

A full container would be a third gone between sunset one night and 8:30am the next morning.

At no time did there seem to be sufficient birds to reduce it so quickly, however yesterday morning I spotted a rather plump well fed rat gorging itself on the seeds.

I have moved the feeder from near to a hedge as that was where the culprit was accessing the feeder.

I have seen rats climbing so I'm still concerned it might try shimmying up the pole the feeder is on.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, melmerby said:

A full container would be a third gone between sunset one night and 8:30am the next morning.

At no time did there seem to be sufficient birds to reduce it so quickly, however yesterday morning I spotted a rather plump well fed rat gorging itself on the seeds.

I have moved the feeder from near to a hedge as that was where the culprit was accessing the feeder.

I have seen rats climbing so I'm still concerned it might try shimmying up the pole the feeder is on.

had the same trouble got one of these work a treat 

bird feeder baffle

John 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, melmerby said:

How about those squirrel-proof feeders, sort of a cage surrounding the feeder? I use them, and rarely does a squirrel get through, so a rat should find it even harder. It also prevents lots of other larger birds get through to the stuff I’ve left for titmice, etc.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
9 minutes ago, melmerby said:

All the feeders are squirrel proof and work.

Rats can get through any hole they can poke their head through, which is a lot less than a squirrel.

it is amazing how small a hole they can get through we got problems with rats after next door put decking over most of there garden 

next door had to get in pest controllers to cure the problem they then put wire netting round the sides of the decking to stop rats getting under 

it was so bad they where out in daylight but when we got the baffle it was fun watching them trying to get a round it but they soon gave up 

John 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, jbqfc said:

it is amazing how small a hole they can get through we got problems with rats after next door put decking over most of there garden

John 

I think that's our problem.

Two doors away have a totally decked garden (they don't like any wildlife) and it's in that direction the rats disappear to.

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

On 08/01/2020 at 23:06, melmerby said:

My solution to the neighbors rat problem - highly effective:

TillyP1000612s.JPG.d99a6e60469cc857b5c946f53fbfa95a.JPG

Edited by eastglosmog
Restore photo
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1