RMweb

Where have all our garden birds gone?

DDolfelin

• RMweb Premium

just found this thread. 

I've had a garden in West London for just under 5 years and apart from feeding some very noisy ringed parakeets which can (and do) empty a feeder in one sitting, I haven't really had a lot other than starlings, goldfinch, the occasional tit and some redwings for an hour once.

This year though I've had a regular jay, song thrush, coal tit, house sparrows and a wren in the garden despite the attention of a resident robin which never actually eats but seems to object to anything else feeding. 

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

The room I use as an office faces out onto public land with trees a couple of metres away. About an hour ago while working at my computer I heard a tapping at the window - it was a long-tailed tit! It then flew onto my fence and came to tap at the window again. Then it went back into the trees to join its partner. I heard a similar tapping at the back door and there it was again! Of course, by the time I'd got my camera they'd both scarpered into the trees again.

• Like 3

We have very recently moved to a house about 600 yards from the coast in Suffolk, from about 10 miles inland.

Still see blackbirds and  wood pigeons, but no robins, blue tits, long tail tits, coal tits or dunnocks. However sparrows  are plentiful and the odd herring gull appears. We have yet to install the bird feeders and hope that might attract some more visitors when the weather gets warmer.

• Like 1

We ae about the same distance from the estuary here and get loads of Robins,most of the Tit family, Warblers,Sparrows,Wrens,Thrushes,Blackbirds,etc. We stick to just two hangers with one ball in each to discourage the blinking Starlings who marmalise everything...bless 'em!...so just hang in there ,they will turn up.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Jol Wilkinson said:

We have very recently moved to a house about 600 yards from the coast in Suffolk, from about 10 miles inland.

Still see blackbirds and  wood pigeons, but no robins, blue tits, long tail tits, coal tits or dunnocks. However sparrows  are plentiful and the odd herring gull appears. We have yet to install the bird feeders and hope that might attract some more visitors when the weather gets warmer.

Had our ‘big’ holiday last year on the Suffolk coast. I’m envious of you living there, birds everywhere and not that many people. Good beers as well. Rarest spot for me there last year: pectoral sandpiper, not that. I would have known - I was told so by the blokes with big telescopes.

• Friendly/supportive 2

1 hour ago, Killybegs said:

This little fellow had a run in with our kitchen window just now. It's the first time we have seen a Goldcrest in our garden. Pleased to say that after 5 minutes R&R it was able to fly away.

Glenlee 03s.jpg

They don’t seem to fly into windows as often as previously, perhaps they are too dirty. But when they do, and get stunned, then I have some bubble wrap handy to act as a thermal comfort blanket for them, and to hide them from the local cats!

• Craftsmanship/clever 2

Lovely day in the garden, self isolation does have some benefits! Spots in the garden today include: sparrowhawk on reconnoitre mission, buzzard, heron eyeing up pond, woodies, willow warbler or chiffchaff, plus others.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

been out in the garden all day doing some work had a robin following me around all day looking for an easy meal 

i think the birds have lookouts it is amazing i nip into the house for 5 seconds and the feeders are full of birds 

mind you the feeders are not so busy at the moment as i have been doing a lot of work in the garden of late due to wind damage 

the blue tits are still busy in and out of the nest box building the nest 

John    

Edited by jbqfc
bad spelling
  • Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Definitely not a bird, but you chaps seem to like other wildlife too.  Unfortunately the family is making its Sett in our church cemetery, Church Wardens going frantic, Coroner involved!

P1010588.jpg

• Like 2

4 hours ago, dhjgreen said:

Definitely not a bird, but you chaps seem to like other wildlife too.  Unfortunately the family is making its Sett in our church cemetery, Church Wardens going frantic, Coroner involved!

P1010588.jpg

Too many of them. Out competing and eating hedgehogs.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Bit sad today chaps.Lived at this house for three years and from day one a robin became a regular visitor,found a mate,had a sprog last year ...friendly face every day.

This afternoon he came into our garden,sat in his favourite spot and very quietly passed away in the sunshine next to a rose bush. Not a bad way to go but still sad to see.

Compared to what is happening in the world nothing startling but still a great shame.

Craig.

• Friendly/supportive 9

7 minutes ago, choo1choo said:

Bit sad today chaps.Lived at this house for three years and from day one a robin became a regular visitor,found a mate,had a sprog last year ...friendly face every day.

This afternoon he came into our garden,sat in his favourite spot and very quietly passed away in the sunshine next to a rose bush. Not a bad way to go but still sad to see.

Compared to what is happening in the world nothing startling but still a great shame.

Craig.

Nice to have your little friends following you around the garden, so shame he’s gone. I’m surprise at how few dead birds you see, other than predator kill, etc. Do they ever fall out of the sky?

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, 88D said:

Nice to have your little friends following you around the garden, so shame he’s gone. I’m surprise at how few dead birds you see, other than predator kill, etc. Do they ever fall out of the sky?

Over the years, I have come across quite a number that have fallen down chimneys.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

We seem to have acquired some (tree ?) sparrows in the garden (brown cap, light grey cheeks).

Haven't seen any for years, they seemed to be casing up the local shrubbery for food and may be nesting in our roof.

• Like 1

On 23/03/2020 at 17:27, jbqfc said:

I think the birds have lookouts it is amazing i nip into the house for 5 seconds and the feeders are full of birds. 

Our starlings have a lookout stationed on our chimney stack most days. As soon as we fill the feeders up he squawks like mad and his 50+ mates all descend on our garden :D

Paul

• Like 2
  • Agree 1