The Berwick, Tweed Dock and Spittal Railway (2mm FS)

IanLister

Hello.

The fish market is still portable, as I'm taking it to a meeting on Saturday, but it's in its place on the layout in these photos, along with my first attempt at weathering a fish van. It's about to be loaded with the 8 fishboxes I made this morning, each of which is all of 6mm x 3mm (dimensions taken from a real one!!!!). Perhaps I should get out more, though after driving a school minibus 120 miles in the Scottish Borders today - yes, that place you've all been looking at on the news, with the fallen trees, floodwater and falling over lorries, I'm actually tempted to stay in more!!!

post-11846-0-19964700-1323376565_thumb.jpg

The buildings and yard areas will be lit, along with the boat cabins, as I like the look of harbours at night, so I'm trying one or two experiments with lighting. Don't know much about lighting for models, so any ideas would be most helpful:

post-11846-0-94461000-1323376574_thumb.jpg

Once again, thanks for the encouraging comments :)

Ian L

• RMweb Gold

Ian,

Just found this as I haven't been on RM Web as much as I would have liked of late, but just have to say love your approach, concept and most of all your modelling. Thanks for sharing. Topically enough my effort tonight has been fish van weathering too, so at the risk of hijacking here's another on en route from Kilbrannan Ferry for the fish dock above! (If only my humble effort did it justice!). Just snapped on my phone so forgive the quality...

post-1879-0-18050700-1323380407_thumb.jpg

Looking forward to following the ongoing story. I noticed above though you didn't finish how you achieved such a great effect on the dock's stonework - though looking at the effects you've created on the canopies and your van I'd say you are too modest regarding painting skills,

Gus

Hi Gus. The fish van looks excellent, and is welcome anytime, though looking at it, it may be a bit big............I love those LNER and ex-LNER fish vans, and am hoping to create some myself, though I guess they may have to be scratchbuilt.

Helensburgh? You'll have had a fairly loud day then, I should think. A bit like we did, but worse, judging from the TV pics. Hope your gutters and roof survived........

Ian

• RMweb Gold

Ian,

Many thanks and you're right about the size - it's about 100% too big really, but in our alternative existence, the wagon labels can still be filled out... re Helensburgh, Mrs Rannoch Moor tells me it was indeed hell today, but I've been down in Fareham at work this week so have missed the worst of it compared to you lot up north. Mrs RM told me that watching the plate glass window "panting," as we say in the Navy, while she was at the dentist was a bit disconcerting, especially as it got blown out last year...

Gus

• RMweb Premium

I don't know which is harder to get straight in my head. It could be that this is really 2mm and not something in a larger scale or it could be that it is a first effort!

Congratulations on some very fine work indeed.

Cheers,

Tony

Thank you for the kind words. This is quite a scary journey; I've been around a bit but never done anything like this, and it helps to have the support.

Don, I was lucky with the fish boxes, and it became very easy. The dimensions scaled down to 6 x 3mm, and I had some rectangular section brass tube exactly that size, and some 6mm wide brass strip. I sawed slivers the right depth from the tube and soldered them in a row along the strip, and then separated them with the saw and did a bit of filing smooth. All 8 were made, filled with 'fish' and painted in under an hour. Which is good, as I'm going to need about a hundred!!!!!!

Now, lobster pots......?

Thanks again

Ian L

I say Ian, some really inspirational modelling, the fish dock is an incredible bit of modelling, and a very interesting technique used.

Enjoying seeing this unfold!

Tom

Hi Gus. The fish van looks excellent, and is welcome anytime, though looking at it, it may be a bit big............I love those LNER and ex-LNER fish vans, and am hoping to create some myself, though I guess they may have to be scratchbuilt.

Helensburgh? You'll have had a fairly loud day then, I should think. A bit like we did, but worse, judging from the TV pics. Hope your gutters and roof survived........

Ian

Hi Ian, that's a wonderful layout in the making & your progress so far is brilliant. I was especially taken by your stone sets/cobbles - very effective.

Regarding the LNER fish vans - Foxhunter Models make a nice bodykit & there's a 2mm etched chassis kit available from the Association (2-373), so that might save a bit of scratchbuilding.

Kevin

• RMweb Gold

Ian, hi

Stunning work on the fish market...

I can't help on the lighting I am afraid (personally am not big on lighting models) but there are plenty of peeps on here who I am sure can help out.

Keep posting the photos... :yes:

Hi.

Went to my first 2mm Assn area group meeting today in the Northeast (after driving through the snow). Met lots of experts and realised just how much learning there is to do.....but good people and highly motivating. I came home and laid the seabed for Spittal Quay, made about 4ft of quay wall and prepared it for scribing the stonework, cut about 12ft of hardwood into 2mm x 2mm strips to make the vertical and horizontal frame facings for the dock wall, and made the sides for the next 25 fish boxes:

post-11846-0-36069900-1323558611_thumb.jpg

If there was a meeting every couple of days I'd have all this finished by about New Years Eve....................................if only :) .

Hi.

Please ignore if it's not of interest, but as there has been some interest I thought I would show a bit of the stonework process I'm developing for the layout.

Last night I cut and primed a couple of pieces of 3mm mdf for the dock walls. They're 28mm high. They'll be stonefaced with wooden framing to prevent boats damaging themselves...there's probably a proper name for it. They were then spread with a thin layer of lightweight filler, making sure the edges were cleaned up and the surface reasonably flat by pressing with fingertip after about twenty mins.

Tonight I started scribing the stone courses, so 24 hrs drying time. Fifteen mins work led to this:

post-11846-0-28195300-1323642370_thumb.jpg

Horizontal courses scribed with tool shown and ruler...irregular coursing ok for this type of wall (I have the photos to prove it....) and occasional gaps for larger stones. This shows in lower courses on photo. The vertical lines were then added - I prefer to mark out the larger stones first but not essential. The middle courses in the pic show this; note that they are as scribed and not cleaned up yet. The courses at the top are at the final stage and just about ready for painting, though this works also if you precolour the filler with acrylics. The upper courses have been brushed over with the toothbrush shown, more in some places than others. This cleans the course lines of debris etc, but if you continue it starts to eat away the edges of the stones and creates surface texture. If you dampen it slightly before brushing you get a more pronounced effect - rather quickly, so be careful.

Getting the rest to the condition of the top 3 or 4 courses will take me about 10 more mins, so about half an hour to complete.

Hope this is of some use to someone out there.......................

The ruler isn't as warped as it looks in the photo, though the photographer might be................. :)

This is truely amazing modeling here. I was looking at it last night (Sunday) especially for a first layout. I only hope i can get some where close to your standard with my new project. I learnt a lot from the last layout, i shall take plenty of time on this one.

A credit to you

Colin.

Thankyou Colin, and all the best with your new project. I've not been at this long but am learning as I go, as we all do. Some things take longer than others. What I'm hoping is that building the layout, which is possibly the easy bit, allows me to become skilful enough to have a go at 2mm finescale rolling stock and maybe one day even a loco....way beyond my capability right now. When I look at some of the things other 2mm modellers have done, I'm in awe of their abilities; but we all have to start somewhere. I guess I just left it a bit late and now I have a lot of catching up to do! And RMWeb helps a lot with that........

Ian.

Hi.

I have started on the quay wall today, and have tried to get a bit of it close to completion to see what it will look like and what I need to do differently. Here's the first go, with the fish market in place to give an idea of the quayside area. It extends along the end of the board as well.

post-11846-0-01338400-1323729377_thumb.jpg

post-11846-0-67848000-1323729390_thumb.jpg

post-11846-0-31124600-1323729397_thumb.jpg

The vertical posts are different lengths on purpose, honest.........the taller ones are for tying boats to. In the 60s I used to sit on them at Scarborough and Whitby with my fishing rod. Don't remember ever catching anything though....

Ian

Archived