The Berwick, Tweed Dock and Spittal Railway (2mm FS)

IanLister

Very good progress Ian.

The quay side looks so natural.

I couuldn't put my finger on the reason until you pointed it out.

A lot of people do stone work in varying degrees of detail but it is the subtle variation in the post lengths that does it for me.

Just looked at a couple of FM Sutcliffe photographs that show the effect very well. ( Lifeboat station in Whitby is one example)

Bernard

Pete: There was me thinking you'd have got the water sorted by now :) . I've actually started doing some experiments messing about with ideas for water, but nothing I'm happy with yet. Tidal/estuary/river combination makes it a bit complicated....good excuse to spend a lot of time walking on the waterfront though..........researching it, of course.

Actually, I don't plan to do the water until various floating things are in place. I think fishing boats will be a bit tricky, but I'm going to have a go.

Bernard: Thanks for your comments. I have the Sutcliffe collections and am finding lots of useful detail in there; what a great photographer.

Ian

After the photos, Troels explains his technique for waves and water.

http://www.railroad-...87&whichpage=17

Thanks for that link. Having looked at it, and then scraped myself back down off the ceiling, I have to say that I don't think my water will end up looking like that. If only.........

Actually, the gloss acrylic gel over a painted smooth surface layer is what I've been playing about with. Making the subsurface layer form the basic wave shapes may be the answer.

Ian

Hi Ian,

For water in Ngauge/2mm I've used a textured acrylic gel by Liquitex (I think). It's textured with very fine fibres which gives some body to the gel leaving a finely textured surface which looks like the water's surface is being ruffled by a light breeze. I think I've got some photos on my old workbench topic on Old RMweb.

BTW your stonework is very impressive!

Dave

Hi Ian,

For water in Ngauge/2mm I've used a textured acrylic gel by Liquitex (I think). It's textured with very fine fibres which gives some body to the gel leaving a finely textured surface which looks like the water's surface is being ruffled by a light breeze. I think I've got some photos on my old workbench topic on Old RMweb.

BTW your stonework is very impressive!

Dave

Dave: Following your post I've looked at Liquitex and may get some...thanks.

'George Hudson': Thankyou. I hope you're not the George Hudson I made a rude remark about in my layout hypothesis earlier in the thread.......... :O :)

Ian L

• RMweb Gold

Couple of links to photos of St Ann's Staith, Whitby, won't have changed at all since your modelling period.

http://www.chromavision.co.uk/yt/assets/photos/whitby_harbour2.jpg

http://www.freefoto.com/images/904/26/904_26_3008---Whitby-Harbour--North-Yorkshire_web.jpg

Thanks Paul. I've got 50s pics of most of the East Coast ports from Scarborough up to Leith; trying to use Northumberland practice for most of what I'm doing, though many of the N Yorks harbours were designed by the same engineers, from what I've found out. Fortunately, Berwick and Tweedmouth were fairly well recorded, so research material on the harbour side isn't too difficult. If only people had photographed the railway.........

Ian

Just found this for the first time - as a 4mm scale modeller I find it amazing how anyone can produce this level of detail and realism in such a small scale. It didn't really 'click' until I saw the photo above with some wagons and control panel pushbuttons in the same shot, just how tiny the vans are.

Your scribed stonework has inspired me to do something similar, as I was struggling with the idea of joining sheets of plastic stone setts together convincingly.

Cheers,

Will

Hi. School minibus I was driving was hit by a 15' branch in the storm tonight, and ran on 2 wheels for a second or so. In need of something to think about to take my mind off tomorrow morning's trip (it's even windier now....) I made a coble landing:

post-11846-0-03426300-1323817378_thumb.jpg

We should have weather like this more often.

Ian

Guest Max Stafford

Ian, I love this. Seen in it's full length along the quay wall to the loading shed it looks perfectly in proportion with no hint of compression. I'm really looking forward to visiting Spittal again to imagine this scene from the perspective of the lifeboat station! That's how right it looks - I take my hat off to your skill sir!

Dave.

Lovely looking layout Ian. It has a nice air of spaciousness to it. I really like those fish vans. You're tempting me to delve into my box of parkside kits! Must resist, have a class 37 to finish. I look forward to seeing how it progresses. Keep up the good work. :)

Ian, I love this. Seen in it's full length along the quay wall to the loading shed it looks perfectly in proportion with no hint of compression. I'm really looking forward to visiting Spittal again to imagine this scene from the perspective of the lifeboat station! That's how right it looks - I take my hat off to your skill sir!

Dave.

Thankyou Dave. The price I pay for the space and proportion is that I don't get to run 12 coach expresses with beautiful Gresley coaches and those big pacifics you build so beautifully. Oh well........can't have everything, I suppose. Don't visit Spittal without dropping in to see us.

Ian

Love the harbour wall and the cobble landing is amazing.

Ref water. I shall have a small river running through on one corner of the layout, i to have been wandering how to "make" water. I was thinking about the Woodland scenics idea as i am modeling 00 or to go down the old route of varnish. will be experimenting soon. I am looking for the effect of a slow running river running through a valley bason not to far from the sea.

Colin

Hi.

Following a brief pause while my brother was visiting, the building of Spittal Quay has recommenced. I took him for a day out to Leith, where a large area of old quayside with setts and inset railway track still exists, and I'm going to attempt to recreate the appearance on a lesser scale at Spittal. Firstly, the quay wall was finished, pretty much, including a ladder photographed from an inch away:

post-11846-0-74085600-1324247291_thumb.jpg

The quay wall is on 2 sides of the yard, which was built out from the estuary bank to reach the deep water channel. Fishing boats will unload on both walls, with most activity in the area where the 2 small hand operated cranes, based on one in an old photo of Berwick, will speed the process.

post-11846-0-54770300-1324247270_thumb.jpg

post-11846-0-29222600-1324247283_thumb.jpg

At the other end of the quay wall, where the kickback siding ends, will be coal stacks and a loading device for coaling the steam powered boats. There was an electric coal loader at Tweed Dock in the 20s, and I'm still looking for info about it.

The white area in the pics will be finished as stone setts, hopefully with drainage channels; in the interests of hygiene this surface is easy to clean and hard wearing; the rest of the quay area will be rolled stone and ash; pretty gungy.....

Hope you're all enjoying the build up to Christmas!

Ian

The small details that you're putting in really are taking this layout from the good to the exceptional. Where did the quay ladder come from?

Thanks Kris. The ladder is Scale Link, from the 'Mini 12' fret. I removed the top 2 rungs to create the bent bit...no correct technical terms here! (only cos I don't know them......)

Archived