Trackbed, necessary or not..?

Hi all,

Wont keep you guys long. I'm new to railway modelling so please exscuse if the following question seems to have a obvious answer. Anyway i've built my baseboards and planned my layout, is trackbed....cork or underlay neccesary...? Does it affect running or mainly for sound reduction..? The layout is N gauge and in a outbuilding so sound is'nt really an issue.

many thanks

Terry.

Terry,

This has been debated quite a lot on this forum so you may find it helpful to do a search. However, I think it depends what you want to achieve. I am involved in my first ever layout and vowed that, if I were ever to begin another, I would dispense with the cork underlay. On my 00 gauge layout I find it serves no purpose for sound deadening, is a nuisance if you need to reposition the track and necessitates the use of more ballast. I used cork floortiles (3.5mm thick) at the start of my project because they seemed to be recommended by those with experience but to me it looks overscale (although in fact I think it is technically correct in 00 gauge). It is difficult to change the practice during construction because of the need for a transition to the lower profile so you need to decide before you start. During a recent rare train journey on the East Coast main line I was looking at the ballast and could see little evidence of the shoulder that the underlay gives on my layout. It may be that the arrangement is different these days from that of steam days and I am sure there will be plenty of other opinions.

Harold.

• RMweb Gold

Looking at most track away from yards and it always seems raised up a little. If you use a trackbed your track will be raised a little if laid flat on the ply it won't you can alsways raise the ground level for yards must easier than cutting away the baseboard surface. the exception is for open top boards where the ply base is the trackbed.

Don

During a recent rare train journey on the East Coast main line I was looking at the ballast and could see little evidence of the shoulder that the underlay gives on my layout. It may be that the arrangement is different these days from that of steam days and I am sure there will be plenty of other opinions.

Harold.

Modern mechanically tamped ballasting looks vey different to the much neater pway gang maintained view from much of the steam age. If modelling the latter then an easy to cut trackbed is worthwhile to give a defined shoulder to the ballast out of the cess.

I'd agree that sound deadening normally doesn't work when people use pva or track nails to stick the track down. Copydex is supposed to be better as its rubbery but I tend to accept the noise tbh.

• RMweb Gold

I'd be inclined to look at what area and what era you want to model, as there is a huge difference between traditional steam era 'neat ballast' and modern 'deep ballast and as has already been mentioned yards where track tends to look fairly low compared to its surroundings.

If it was me I'd go for thin underlay for steam era, thicker for modern situations, than actually put underlay outsider the sleeper ends to make the track look 'sunken in' in sidings/yards etc.

by underlay I mean ply or cork not the foamy stuff, which I wouldnt use at all as its fairly easy to end up with an uneven surface.

HTH

Hi again chaps, era will be late 70s to early 80s.....so lots of BR Blue with a few greens amongst. Location..? well its not based on anywhere in particular, just aspects or features of other plans i've seen..

Many Thanks

Terry

Hello Terry

May be the question is do you need ballast or not? Over the last twenty or so years i have built three big 00 scale layouts using Peco Code 100 Streamline. It was only this summer when I was finally shamed into adding ballast and six months later I am still on target to get the job competed by Christmas.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/blog/880-longsheds-layout-1960s-00-scale/

The layouts have all been permanent, initially using chipboard, the latest using MDF. Pinning the track at say 6 inch intervals produces very quiet running without any need for cork underlay. It might be relevant for yourself in N gauge, to know that the sleepers used for Peco Streamline (Code 100) are very thick and the addition of ballast (in my case blue poppy seeds) goes some way to hiding the extra depth. I use wallpaper adhesive to bond the ballast which allows it to be worked and shaped with a spatula / small screw driver. The ballasted track is slightly noisier but not a problem and the wheel sounds are still very realistic.

Just some thoughts

Regards

Ray

Copydex is supposed to be better as its rubbery but I tend to accept the noise tbh.

I use copydex and I am quite pleased with. I retains a slight flexibilty when dry which is a good thing. It can also be softened with heat allowing track to be lifted with a hairdryer if you need to reposition it. Track held in place with PVA is hard to lift without damage.

I didn't know about the heat thing Karhedron, thanks. I've always used PVA but as I prepare for my Opus Magnus I am open to different ways of doing things. My trackbed will be the Woodland Scenics/C&L flexible black stuff (5mm).

Cheers

John

on a related question how good are the rolls of ballasted underlay from the likes of gauge master? They seem like an easy way to get the ballast shoulder effect. Richard

A great way of making a mess on the carpet and ending up with wonky springy track. The base stuff doesn't perish like the Peco stuff though.

You can lift track from PVA soaking the area with water but i'd suggest its easier just to get the alignment correct in the first place!

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Just to add to this, I've used the guagemaster ballasted foam on a previous layout and while it gave an excellent cosmetic finish and shoulder effect, I do think that the track 'stability' suffered, and things were 'difficult' around the points.

I'm planning to use the woodlands scenics trackbed on the next one!

Archived