'O' gauge ? first tentative steps. Corrugated goods shed part 3: Painting and weathering

David Siddall

Life apparently is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans...

So, quietly confident that 11ft was a perfectly adequate length for a first attempt at 7mm scale modelling (and that I'd have plenty of time to have a go) I was slightly blind-sided by the revelation that wifey feels it's time for us to move! OK, so where we are is a bit rambling, crumbly, draughty and remote from things like culture and commerce – and I'll also admit that maintaining the garden is basically a war of attrition waged using far heavier weapons than most folks keep in their shed – but the old place does have the benefit of space, character and peace and quiet.

SWMBO however fancies something "smaller, more modern, more efficient and easier to manage" which basically seems to imply that the third bedroom is going to be no bigger than what we used to call a 'box room' – in other words unlikely to exceed 6'6 x 8'! 'Smaller, more modern, more efficient and easier to manage' also apparently means 'considerably closer to a decent coffee emporium!' Basically you see... she's a 'townie', bless 'er ;-)

Now inevitably my first thoughts turned to consequential impact on modelling – though I'm far from brave enough to admit that to her!  Hopefully a derivative of this be the answer: http://www.gnsra.org.uk/images/gallery/DF11_Bannermill_Sidings_on_the_Waterloo_Branch_Aug.1973_733.jpg

Ah well... another adventure :-/

D

PS: One, or maybe two more coats before the masking comes off the 121's small yellow warning panels. I wonder what the result will be this time?

So, quietly confident that 11ft was a perfectly adequate length for a first attempt at 7mm scale modelling (and that I'd have plenty of time to have a go) I was slightly blind-sided by the revelation that wifey feels it's time for us to move! OK, so where we are is a bit rambling, crumbly, draughty and remote from things like culture and commerce – and I'll also admit that maintaining the garden is basically a war of attrition waged using far heavier weapons than most folks keep in their shed – but the old place does have the benefit of space, character and peace and quiet.

SWMBO however fancies something "smaller, more modern, more efficient and easier to manage" which basically seems to imply that the third bedroom is going to be no bigger than what we used to call a 'box room' – in other words unlikely to exceed 6'6 x 8'! 'Smaller, more modern, more efficient and easier to manage' also apparently means 'considerably closer to a decent coffee emporium!' Basically you see... wifey's a 'townie', bless 'er ;-)

David

Just think - you (well actually SWMBO) could have decided to move after you'd completed the layout!

8' is more than enough room. In fact, if you took over the whole of the box room (this is part of your negotiating strategy), you could have two 8' x 2' layouts either side of a 2' 6" aisle! ;-)  Just let me know if you need any advice on the negotiations - my consultation fees are very reasonable ......

I can obviously advise on 'minimum space layouts'.  In fact, I seem to remember suggesting you reduced the scale of your ambitions from the first grandiose design to something like ....... oh, eight feet!

Now inevitably my first thoughts turned to consequential impact on modelling – though I'm far from brave enough to admit that to her!  Hopefully a derivative of this be the answer: http://www.gnsra.org.uk/images/gallery/DF11_Bannermill_Sidings_on_the_Waterloo_Branch_Aug.1973_733.jpg

D

PS: One, or maybe two more coats before the masking comes off the 121's small yellow warning panels. I wonder what the result will be this time?

Now that is very nice - lots of urban grot!  I never cease to be impressed with your prototype finding skills.

Sorry to read of your pains with the class 121 and its yellow warning panel. It will be of no consolation for you to know that we've all been there with yellow warning panels, even just getting the colour right.

Stephen

SWMBO however fancies something "smaller, more modern, more efficient and easier to manage" which basically seems to imply that the third bedroom is going to be no bigger than what we used to call a 'box room' – in other words unlikely to exceed 6'6 x 8'! 'Smaller, more modern, more efficient and easier to manage' also apparently means 'considerably closer to a decent coffee emporium!' Basically you see... wifey's a 'townie', bless 'er ;-)

D

Join a club and have the box room as a work room

Well suddenly it's blindingly obvious! I'll live, work and model in the shed... leaving the house entirely free for grandchildren and guests!

Chris, however I think that second shed is actually larger than some of the gardens on offer!!!

Stephen, I do seem to recall that particular piece of advice. May actually need your negotiating skills because apparently the smallest bedroom is also likely to have to serve as my office as well :-/

D

PS: A possible solution is emerging – based around two 4' x 1'6" boards using the hand-built trackwork I already have plus a cassette-based 'shuffle' yard.

post-2991-0-15771800-1376898689_thumb.jpg

SWMBO however fancies something "smaller, more modern, more efficient and easier to manage" which basically seems to imply that the third bedroom is going to be no bigger than what we used to call a 'box room' – in other words unlikely to exceed 6'6 x 8'! 'Smaller, more modern, more efficient and easier to manage' also apparently means 'considerably closer to a decent coffee emporium!' Basically you see... she's a 'townie', bless 'er ;-)

D

Hi David,

And what do you want/need in terms of accomadation et al?

Kind regards,

CME

Hi there,

Hope the yellow warning panels on the 121 don't give you any more grief!

Thinking about the problem of space, I have often thought about a design by Iain Rice
It's in his book on urban layouts - not my fave title by him,
but there's a design in there for a multi-level style layout

It's built into a sort of display cabinet, with a removable cassette at the end
Each shelf is a separate scene in its' own right,
and once the train exits a scene onto the cassette
you place the cassette on a different level, and it enters a different scene...

It sounds an odd arrangement I know, and Iain's plan is for a 4mm scale layout
but I've been pondering the idea of a 2 level layout in 7mm in this style for some time
I can't post a copy of the plan here for obvious reasons

This book isn't my fave by Iain, as I said
but could be worth a look.....

If you can find 8 foot of space, that's plenty for a shunting layout IMO

In fact, the only layout I ever built larger than 8 feet never got finished! ;)

Marc

Another alternative for space, David, is a loft.  I've known people for whom a decent-sized loft is a must when buying a house!!  Years ago, I had a 4mm roundy-roundy in a loft - if I remember rightly the useable space must have been 30' x 6', maybe 8' (it was 30 years ago!!) - whichever, it had a decent radius for the curves at each end.  That house though was built about 40 years ago, the new one my daughter's family lives in is big but of a design that restricts decent access - for a model railway, at least!!

Rod

• RMweb Gold

I fortunately have a very understanding wife. We are in the process of moving the new Bungalow has a loft room 30ftx8ft4in. Marion insists the loft ladder is replaced with a propper staircase and the room rebuilt to propper standards. It will cost quite a bit but hopefully we will get it back if we have to sell up and go into a nursing home.

The space is rather tight for a roundy roundy but it would be nice to be able to watch a train run so I think I will accept the compromises with tight curves.

Don

Hope the yellow warning panels on the 121 don't give you any more grief!

If you can find 8 foot of space, that's plenty for a shunting layout IMO... in fact, the only layout I ever built larger than 8 feet never got finished!

Cheers Marc... that's much appreciated, we'll find out when the masking tape comes off later today. And as the Fabergé of the micro-layout (Poynton Sneer and Hendre Lane just in case anyone hasn't seen them) I'm astonished you've ever contemplated anything as wastefully spacious as 8'......... ;-)

Another alternative for space, David, is a loft.  I've known people for whom a decent-sized loft is a must when buying a house!!  Years ago, I had a 4mm roundy-roundy in a loft - if I remember rightly the useable space must have been 30' x 6', maybe 8' (it was 30 years ago!!) - whichever, it had a decent radius for the curves at each end.  That house though was built about 40 years ago, the new one my daughter's family lives in is big but of a design that restricts decent access - for a model railway, at least!!

As you say Rod, the current trend in house building seems result in a forest of lightweight 'W' braced roof trusses – fine for some basic loft storage but not much else. I'm also reaching the stage (age) where I don't really fancy shinning up and down ladders every time I feel like a bit of modelling. Don's wife is insisting on proper stairs if they convert their bungalow roof (see below) but in the sort of house my wife's looking at that would knock out the smallest bedroom which is now slated as my 'office' as well as my 'play room'!!!

I've been following 'Reely Grate' since the thread was started FatMac – absolutely superb! Particularly taken with the auto-coupling solution :-)

I fortunately have a very understanding wife. We are in the process of moving the new Bungalow has a loft room 30ftx8ft4in. Marion insists the loft ladder is replaced with a propper staircase and the room rebuilt to propper standards. It will cost quite a bit but hopefully we will get it back if we have to sell up and go into a nursing home. The space is rather tight for a roundy roundy but it would be nice to be able to watch a train run so I think I will accept the compromises with tight curves.

You're indeed a fortunate man Don... but as I mentioned above, if we were to look at a full roof conversion of the sort of property Angie's after, adding that 'proper staircase' (which I think would have to be enclosed with a fire door if the roof room were to become a potentially habitable space) would knock out the smallest bedroom. Really we could do with a four-bed ...but not round here without a lottery win I'm afraid :-(

Hey ho... I'm going to take my inspiration from Monsieur Smith and say that the future is definitely minimalist :-)

David

PS: I am however very taken with a couple of ideas which have emerged from this particular bit of banter courtesy of Marc (Smith) and Stephen (Warspite) – I'm beginning to see huge potential in micros (note the significant 's') as opposed to a micro (singular)...

PS: I am however very taken with a couple of ideas which have emerged from this particular bit of banter courtesy of Marc (Smith) and Stephen (Warspite) – I'm beginning to see huge potential in micros (note the significant 's') as opposed to a micro (singular)...

Have you seen this http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/59161-steam-on-the-cambrian-my-new-modular-layout/ ?

I have always thought a modular approach was an excellent idea......

Archived