Class 303's in Strathclyde

Mark 37

Mark I don't know if you have come across this wee video on the Class 303's on utube I found it very interesting

I haven't seen that one before - it is good. Just seen a few of my stills in it as well - that's my wee dug at 26" in. :D

Jim.

Guest jim s-w

Hi All

Tim Easters the chap to talk to on modelling the class 303's A gouple of tips he gave me on the DC kits are,

The rainstrip on the cab front is in the wrong place (subtle)

and the windows at the non cab end are also in the wrong place (major) You can fix this with extra side bits from Charlie but I cant remember which ones you need now.

Heres how far i got with mine.

class%20303%20in%20progress.jpg

HTH

Jim

What you could do is retain the pressure ventilated windows (rather than the hoppers) and model one of the two Class 303 units that were refurbished but did not have the windows replaced

303055 :

http://www.railbrit....e2.php?id=28246

303056 :

http://www.railbrit....e2.php?id=17049

And 303085.

303056 caught fire (I think) in about 2000ish, and only one DT of it was reused, being formed into 303043 which itself had had some sort of mishap.

In the end, only 303043 with it's coach from '056, complete with original 'Widney' windows lasted in service until the very end in December 2002.

The very last in service were IIRC:

303001/003/004/011/043/045/083 and 088, with 303011 and 088 working the final train.

Also, to add variety, in the mid '80s, some unrefurbished sets were painted into Strathclyde Orange and black, so in terms of liveries and refurbs, it wasn't as black and white as it seemed.

Many thanks for this, I think this must be the only 311 I ever photographed!

There are plenty out there if you are just to look hard enough, including pictures of a brand new 311106 at Bishopton in a short lived version of the All over BR Blue livery with the yellow extending right back on the cab doors!

It is generally forgotten, but this is what all/most carried when introduced, not the standard blue version, and some '303s, such 303040 carried it too!

I don't have any underframe detail ones. All my other photos of the class are similar to these, just passing trains or in stations.

Despite what some people have (unfairly) said, get along to Summerlee to see the '311, as you are able to see and photograph every single detail you'd ever want to without anyone bothering you, and it is an unrefurbished, non gangway one too!

If true, I think it can be safely said that EMU preservation in this country is pretty much all but a dead duck

The boys at Coventry are valiantly trying and slowly succeeding to stem the tide though.

A "blue train" is the iconic Glasgow Train. You would have thought one would make it into the Riverside Museum.

Yes, but this is the museum that lets a design icon of the city for 40 years rust away to nothing (the '311 in unrefurbished 'Blue Train' guise) and yet, spends many thousands bringing back some ruddy great kettle from South Africa which spent all of about 5 minutes in Glasgow just so they can brag about it!!

In short, they couldn't give a **** about what is on their own doorstep.

....They could have got the former South African Garret from Summerlee anyway instead, I mean, what would have been better? Coatbridge or Capetown?

Thanks for all the photos guys. The blue and blu/grey ones really take me back!

Indeed! I remember them in the mid/late '80s.

I might have said it here before, but if I win the lottery (or some such as I don't play the lottery) my first Bachmann/Heljan/Hornby/whatever commission for my own line of models would be 303s.

If you win the lottery, then for god sake man, save the '311 first! The models can wait.

Also, to add variety, in the mid '80s, some unrefurbished sets were painted into Strathclyde Orange and black, so in terms of liveries and refurbs, it wasn't as black and white as it seemed.

I was watching an old "Taggart" the other day - from the Mark McManus era in the 80s (E reg cars) and Blue Trains featured quite often in the episode. In one shot I'm sure I saw a unit with the first driver car in Strathclyde orange and the second power car in blue/grey. Unfortunately I've now deleted the programme from my PVR so can't go back and double check.

Jim.

The yellow cab door livery mentioned earlier ... The '311s were all like that originally (yes, I know it is 303040 in the picture).

My Dad has a short 8mm cine film shot of a brand new 311 (AM11 then) in "yellow door" livery crossing the bridge west of Fort Matilda station. I remember being disappointed that the EMUs did not have gangways, after enjoying the novelty of being able to walk from one carriage to another in the DMUs which worked the line for a few months after the end of steam.

..... Or you could just go to Summerlee and see the fricking thing and all it's underframe detail there!* I can virtually guarantee that you will have a private viewing of it, and you wont have to get any permission either.

* - Actually, it appears to be damaged at a certain bit. Nothing a welding torch probably couldn't fix though. :angry:

The yellow cab door livery mentioned earlier:

http://www.eastbank....its/UK0216s.jpg

The '311s were all like that originally (yes, I know it is 303040 in the picture).

Also, an example of an unrefurbished unit in orange. Just a shame about that ruddy great big watermark though:

http://80srail.zenfo...2E59B#h3fca1ca7

303013 you could get a copy of the photo above without the watermark for your own use for 40p from the web page :)

There will be pictures of myself about somewhere (actually, there are). Anyway, where am I going to get 40p from? down the back of one of my seats? those peeps at Gravesend are right tight wads you know! :D

Seriously though, I didn't hang about long enough to see that, I was just looking for pictures.

Guest jim s-w
..... Or you could just go to Summerlee and see the fricking thing and all it's underframe detail there!* I can virtually guarantee that you will have a private viewing of it, and you wont have to get any permission either.

* - Actually, it appears to be damaged at a certain bit. Nothing a welding torch probably couldn't fix though. :angry:

Sounds like you have already been, didn't you take any pics yourself that you might share?

Cheers

Jim

I have fond memories of the blue trains on the Northern section. Before the Argyle line was built, I regularly used them to reach Queen St from Westerton on spotting forays around Glasgow in the late 1970s and early 1980s, Central, High St Goods, Queen St High Level and Eastfield if you were lucky, were all favourites. If time and pennies allowed, Motherwell was worth the trip as an uncle was a driver there and could usually get you a good look around, not to mention an occasional trip up to Mossend.

The units were certainly iconic features of the city along with the Alexander bodied Atlanteans of GCT/ GGPTE/ SPTE. Occasional trips into Glasgow could be interupted by detraining at Hyndland and making the short walk to the depot to see if you could outwit the foreman and see what was lurking, rarely much if memory serves me correctly, suggesting the 303s and 311s were pretty reliable units.

When the Argyle line opened, the dearth of 314s which arrived seemed to swamp most of the services, 311s were more common "North of the river" but the new units seemed dominant and comfortable though they were, lacked the character of the Pressed Steel units. I may be remembering much of this through rose tinted specs, but I seem to remember the 303s as having ride qualities comparable to the 314s, quite something considering the technology of air-damped ride on the BT10s against the 50+ year old design of the Gresleys under the 303s.

Ah happy days!

Eddie, Tim, Darrel, 303013, Mark

Thanks for the links, pic's and advice. :good_mini:

Sounds like you have already been, didn't you take any pics yourself that you might share?

Cheers

Jim

Ahh, Jim.

:laugh_mini: :laugh_mini: :laugh_mini:

All the best,

Mark

I may be remembering much of this through rose tinted specs, but I seem to remember the 303s as having ride qualities comparable to the 314s, quite something considering the technology of air-damped ride on the BT10s against the 50+ year old design of the Gresleys under the 303s.

Ah happy days!

That is interesting, because the first time I travelled on a Blue Train on the South side (in 1962), I was shocked at how bad the ride was, especially since I had read about how smooth a ride the Gresley bogies gave. However, that was on a train leaving Central from one of the middle platforms, and having to weave through all the crossovers to get to the Cathcart Circle. Over time, I had to agree that they rode really well, both vertically and side-to-side once they were 'out on the road'. But when they reached the sideways limit of the play in the bogies on tight curves, there was always a horrible lurch. I don't know if they were ever modified - after about 1967, I only travelled in them from platforms 11-13 in Central, which had pretty straight exits.

The ride quality of the 303's was always a strange one for me, almost exciting in a way! I never got to work on the class 303's (too young!) but the ride of the class 380's astonishes me how something that can pull away so smoothly throws you around when at speed. when I as a passenger years ago on a class 303 travelling on the same line of route wasnt nearly as lively as a 380. I have to say the best riding units by far are the class 320's, must have been a revelation to the residents of Helensburgh when they were introduced compared to the 303/311's smoooooooth!

Sorry for not thanking the poeple who posted earlier, but I've been up to my elbows in dirty nappies.

303013, I'm looking forward to seeing them.

This thread seems to have brought some fond memories back. :D

Best regards,

Mark

Archived