Fort Myers, Florida in the 90's - Its the layouts 30th birthday this year - Freemo South 2024

roundhouse

Talking of which, by chance found this.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-magazine-monitor-27421779

Interesting article Ian. Perhaps with the increased demand for hops in the US may lead to more grain being transported by rail. Probably unlikely, but a nice thought :no:

I just can't get enough of US Pale Ales and IPAs. UK brewers are now brewing 'American Style Pale Ale' and IPA. Who woud have thought that 20 years ago!

Mal

Edited by Alcanman
  • Like 1

Now thats a good excuse for visiting the brewery!!

I was considering adding one to Fort Myers but just didnt have the space for another industry.

Maybe I convert the juice plant into producing something stronger!!

What I really would like a real location with a brewery in the Chicago area alongside a Norfolk Southern track for the next N scale layout.

That still gives you a good reason to sample different beers and research the brewery,in the chance you find a rail cornected one.

I was drinking the Gosse island IPA last night in my local spoons,( all in the name of research you know), i found the last bottle tasted  as good as the first,will have to do more researched over the weekend :declare:  :no:

Ray

Edited by long island jack
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Mal

I tend to go for the darker beers but some of the strong hoppy beers are quite tasty. You can often tell a UK ale that has American hops as they have a much more powerful aroma and taste

Ray

So you drank all the bottles in Spoons fridge then??

Got plenty of research coming up including going back to old favourites to double check their suitability.

Next years NMRA convention is being held in Portland, OR. One of the tours is round UP's Albina yard. WIdmers brewery and pub is opposite the yard entrance, so we will try and get dropped of there after the tour.

However, I cant wait that long to go back there so will be visiting this year!!

P.S. going to have to change the title of this thread to include beer :sungum:

Edited by roundhouse
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

This morning I set up the layout to check the wiring.

Apart from One new copper lad sleeper at the baseboard end not bring cut through properly, it all worked.

I am still not happy with the proposed track on the new end board. The one turnout fixed in place needs to be a Y turnout so that will now get changed, allowing the track to be laid pretty much as planned.

Some photos taken this morning.

post-1557-0-91877400-1400423259_thumb.jpg

post-1557-0-83465800-1400423288_thumb.jpg

post-1557-0-41416000-1400423313_thumb.jpg

post-1557-0-60426100-1400423328_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

There's been no work on the layout for a couple of weeks now and I suspect that there don't be much done for a few further weeks due to dads passing away and funeral but I have managed to pick up some detailing bits here in the USA such as switch stands and track stops. Hoping to get the loading gantries this morning in Hobbysmith if they have them plus any other suitable details.

This morning I loaded XtrakCAD onto my laptop so will hopefully draw up the tack plan one morning if I get up early on the rest of our travels.

The layout will be ready for The Freemo meet in July even if Is don't have all the detailing complete.

Ian

• RMweb Gold

Well mine won't be much more than slightly scenic as I'm not rushing it ;) track down for operation and working is all I care about for this first meet. Let's hope we can do them every now and again to see progress :)

• RMweb Gold

At least a fair bit of your layout started out looking good Ian ;) mine is still minimalist but the boards are done, track is going down and all the wiring stuff is ready so as the boss is working away I've got four weeks to get stuff done around work.

My original US diesel collection was sold off several years ago when I went steam and all I've done in the last five years is collect stuff and that's what's really bugging me after seeing the other guys nicely toned weathering.

• RMweb Gold

Luckily I only need a few LPG cars but looks like There will be some brought along by others for the meet.

I still have one board to lay track but it should be a fairly quick task and I can spend an hour each morning before heading to work.

Ian

Ian,

With all this talk of fine consumable beverages, I wonder why you don't have a rail served micro brewery. Magic Hat Brewery in Vermont is served by rail (covered hoppers, but other cars could be used also). I fell in love with their elixer called Circus Boy. Great Stuff.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Magic+Hat+Brewing+Co/@44.42897,-73.213411,17z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m2!3m1!1s0x4cca7c75522df297:0xe54dc4c8feb0f6a?hl=en

• RMweb Gold

Ian,

With all this talk of fine consumable beverages, I wonder why you don't have a rail served micro brewery. Magic Hat Brewery in Vermont is served by rail (covered hoppers, but other cars could be used also). I fell in love with their elixer called Circus Boy. Great Stuff.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Magic+Hat+Brewing+Co/@44.42897,-73.213411,17z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m2!3m1!1s0x4cca7c75522df297:0xe54dc4c8feb0f6a?hl=en

Hi Mike,

Is that correct?

One of the locals that sends me photos etc for rail operations said the brewery isn't rail served but all the distribution goes via the Farrell Distribution Centre a bit further north for the brewery?

Search Google Maps using 3 Holmes Rd, South Burlington, VT 05403, USA

https://www.google.com/maps/place/3+Holmes+Rd/@44.433463,-73.212411,19z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m2!3m1!1s0x4cca7b8b7d83d17d:0xc2dcb6416f2d8858?hl=en

Thanks

I was told on on tour of the brewery in 2008 that they received grain by rail. I just figured that they didn't receive by rail any more. If I understand correctly, the Vermont Railway uses the brewery as a passenger station stop. maybe that's what the tour guide meant. Then again, the tour guide was a bit like Sean Penn's Jeff Spicoli character in "Fast Times at Ridgemont High" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tuENFR-9phU. He knew every bit of information about the various brews though.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Today is Fort Myers work day.

I thought that I had better extend the legs so that the layout height matches the Freemo standard ofc45"floor to top of rail.

The extension prices shown below are screwed to each leg to get the layout to 45".The remainder will be made up with screw in feet. Doing thr legs now means that I can put the other layouts boards underneath the Fort Myers ones whilst the are set up to work on.

More progress photos later.

post-1557-0-92801600-1402829423_thumb.jpg

post-1557-0-19993300-1402829487_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I managed to complete Long Island Jacks trestle today. Took a while to work out the configuration of the parts but it's worked out quite well.

Now I can complete the scenery on this board and move on to the next board which will have the cement unloading.

Still plenty of work to do.

post-1557-0-69154300-1402862934_thumb.jpg

post-1557-0-62320700-1402862950_thumb.jpg

post-1557-0-82225300-1402862966_thumb.jpg

post-1557-0-38027800-1402862983_thumb.jpg

Edited by roundhouse
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold

A little more progress last night.

The sement unloading structure was started and the amin part of this is now assembled. The storage tanks are now being filled and sanded.

I also sorted out which freight cars are going to be used in each of the spurs photographed them (but should have checked the photos as some came out blurred) and started compiling a list of these on the train this morning.

Hopefully I can retake the photos and thrn add these to the list tonight.

Ian

Edited by roundhouse
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Been doing the same as you and found I need to renumber a couple of boxcars as my cheap atlas cars that were bought to bulk out trains have a couple of duplicates ;)

The majority of my super detail wagons are grain, intermodal and coal and no use for my shunting yard that's part of this!

• RMweb Gold

I was lucky that none of them had duplicate numbers. The covered hoppers have generally been repainted and numbered so hopefully they should be unique and not clash with anyone else's stock. Not sure about the rest though.

Ian

• RMweb Gold

I put my initials under each item these days with a paint pen but as Martyn says, we will need different numbers on the cars so that the sequence will work.

Lunchtime I filled in my spreadsheet as far as I could go with the numbers and reporting marks plus the industry name that they go to. Some industries will have the real names (with subtle difference to avoid any copyright)  in Fort Myers whilst some will have made up ones suitable for the area.

Martyn - if any cars do have clashing numbers with others let me know and I will renumber them or change the car.

Ian

Edited by roundhouse