Fort Myers, Florida in the 90's - Its the layouts 30th birthday this year - Freemo South 2024

roundhouse

An unknown from my end unfortunately - effectively, can you research what one will do when fed via track power from an 'alien' system?

they don't care. As long as the incoming power is dcc and > 9v and < 24v and fed to the input side of the breaker. All this would be doing is to swap Ian's command station/booster input with the Fremo input.

• RMweb Gold

Martyn

I will have a look although I am sure they are designed to work with most if not all DCC system but just not had to consider this having only used Digitrax.

However, the chances are that they wont be installed for Freemo meet up. The switch protecting from accidental plug in of two systems at the same time will be.

Been out seeing parents tonight so the only progress is a few more spray coats of white on the LPG tanks.

Ian

Edit - updated whilst Andrew was posting, so looks like I am Ok when I install the PSX circuits.

Edited by roundhouse

they don't care. As long as the incoming power is dcc and > 9v and < 24v and fed to the input side of the breaker. All this would be doing is to swap Ian's command station/booster input with the Fremo input.

Thanks Andrew, if that's so then it shouldn't matter.

• RMweb Gold

Due a late work meeting last night I didn't get much done on the layout. However I did find the Woodland Scenics ballast in Ian Allen shop to Waterloo to match the original ballast, so this was laid and the usual diluted PVA added to set it in place.

The LG tanks are getting there.

post-1557-0-82821300-1399012372_thumb.jpg

post-1557-0-02057400-1399012401_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

As we had more than enough beer Friday night to Saturday night on our weekend away, we decided to come straight home yesterday avoiding the pubs!

That gave me most of the afternoon to work on the layout.

The final turnout to be added to the existing boards was inserted but the wiring still needs modifying and the siding track needs laying although thats the easy part.

Legs were constructed for the two end boards (the original end board that was lengthened used to just have a single central leg). This then allowed the new end board to be erected to fit the alignment dowels and cork to be laid.

A start has been made on laying the track with the main through road installed. However, I am having second thoughts on the track geometery for the remainder of the board. I think that it will still work but by 7pm last night decided to sleep on it (not physically though!).

The Lenz panel arrived over the wekend so another job to do.

So at present everything is on course for completion in time for the Freemo meet in July. with a planned set up of all the boards in my parents garage for just under two weeks time to test everything.

The scenics will take a bit longer.

Ian

EDIT - will now be set up this coming weekend.

Edited by roundhouse
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Apart from a small distraction building another stock tray for Banbury, today has been pretty much spent working on Fort Myers.

The wiring on two boards is now more or less complete with the turnouts on these boards wired up to a CML DAC20. It does 8 sets of turnouts, so one more board should complete the layout. It's working after programming with the computer hooked up. However there isn't enough power to throw the turnouts using the power packs I use with DS64's. So hopefully it's not a fault with the capacitor discharge bit of the board.

Also the track power is now wired up to a switch which allows either the Digitrax booster to be plugged in or the layout set for Freemo operation and track power from elsewhere.

Finally, I added the team track siding and got some filler around it. The bit of bare board in the background is where the cement unloading structures will go.

So I didn't get to set up the whole layout as planned but it's progressing well.

Ian

post-1557-0-27443500-1399838826_thumb.jpg

post-1557-0-99866300-1399838855_thumb.jpg

post-1557-0-25857200-1399838874_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

There are over 2,500 craft breweries in the USA now and that excludes Coors Bud etc.

Most do a beer style for everyones taste that drink beer.

Its not just the trains that I go over there for!!

Edited by roundhouse
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Look how yellow it is! Ewwwwww!

Ale all the way!

If it's not a deep amber or brown then it's just not right! :D

They do plenty of darker beers these days such as:

Red ales

Brown ales

Porters and Stouts (of various types including barrel aged in old Bouron whisky or other barrels giving quite a unique tast)

Black IPA's

Plus theres a fair few that do Belgian style dark beers.

Ok they are still kegs but the tastes can be fantastic and not particularly gassy or cold

And many will actually do cask conditioned versions.

Triumph in New Hope do a tremendous pint of English style IPA - they keep it a little too cold, I told them to try 68f..........doubt they took any notice.

Last time I went on the Acela they were serving bottled BASS.

Best, Pete.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

All this beer talk is making me thirsty - off to the Rake in Borough Market for a few Craft beers!!

cant wait till our trip!!!

Back on topic (I know my onwn fault going OT) I did manage to do soem more ballasting on the layout this morning and the Cement unloading structure is now spread out on the board ready for assembly.

Ian

Edited by roundhouse

• RMweb Gold

You want to see our bottle collection. There's some real vintage stuff. We buy it but just don't drink at home.

Well, after a few American beers such as Anchor Liberty Brown in the Rake then a UK ale in the Market Porter tonight I still managed a bit more ballasting when we got home.

Hope it looks OK in the morning.

• RMweb Gold

Now thats a good excuse for visiting the brewery!!

I was considering adding one to Fort Myers but just didnt have the space for another industry.

Maybe I convert the juice plant into producing something stronger!!

What I really would like a real location with a brewery in the Chicago area alongside a Norfolk Southern track for the next N scale layout.

I am hoping ot set up Fort Myers early this Sunday mornign at parents place before we set up Star Lane for a work session. If all goes I will post some photos.

Ian

Apparently , the Sierra Nevada brewery in Chico has a short branch to bring in the grain by rail. I can't find out what sort of locomotive (if any) that they have , but they must use something to move to grain cars. When we visited , the lady doing the guided tour said that they effectively had every type of job working for the brewery - I asked whether that would include a train driver/engineer , and she said that they did have one or two , specifically for the grain traffic. 

So I guess as a layout concept , grain cars in , boxcars out with product , with an industrial switcher to work the plant (maybe a CF7 or GP9) wouldn't be quite so implausible - Coors (sorry for the inclusion) also had rail service at their Golden CO plant until recently as well , although neither of these examples are really micro breweries.