RMweb

Whacky Signs.

Colin_McLeod

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, martin_wynne said:

Yes. 700 x 3 x 12 x 25.4 / 1000 = 640.08 metres

I meant the length of the road works, not the exact conversion. When you are driving, you don't need an exact distance, a rounded off one is fine.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, kevinlms said:

The 'E' in loose is the wrong way round! As is the 'F' in If.

..... and the 'R' in 'Read' and the 'S' in 'is'. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, iands said:
8 hours ago, kevinlms said:

The 'E' in loose is the wrong way round! As is the 'F' in If.

..... and the 'R' in 'Read' and the 'S' in 'is'. 

The 'A's and the 'I's are also reversed but the 'O's are now the right way up

• Funny 9

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, kevinlms said:

I meant the length of the road works, not the exact conversion. When you are driving, you don't need an exact distance, a rounded off one is fine.

But the length of the road works is irrelevant. You need to know the length of the road closure, which is often much longer than the actual works. And it's a legal thing, there isn't anything physical to be measured to -- the length of the closure is whatever the sign says it is.

Very difficult to measure a hole in the road to the nearest centimetre. 🙂

Martin.

Edited by martin_wynne
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, martin_wynne said:

But the length of the road works is irrelevant. You need to know the length of the road closure, which is often much longer than the actual works. And it's a legal thing, there isn't anything physical to be measured to -- the length of the closure is whatever the sign says it is.

Very difficult to measure a hole in the road to the nearest centimetre. 🙂

Martin.

I was meaning that it could be anywhere between 650 & 750 yards and it would be correct. But you knew that and are just being clever!

All of which makes the sign even sillier, because they took a rounded off distance and made it accurate to 2 decimal places. 650 metres would have been sufficiently accurate.

• Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, kevinlms said:

I was meaning that it could be anywhere between 650 & 750 yards and it would be correct. But you knew that and are just being clever!

Isn't being a clever-clogs what this entire topic is about? 🙂

I agree that 650-750 yards would be equally useful and informative. But it wouldn't be "correct" because there is a legal Road Closure Order specifying the exact length. Obstructing a public highway is a criminal offence without due legal process.

cheers,

Martin.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, kevinlms said:

But is it precisely 700 yards?

To be fair I don't know what the actual distance was (this was several months ago) I only remember being puzzled by the accuracy then working it out and realising it was actually a whole number of yards.

As an aside (and almost back on topic) Rye Hill was a Euro-pro host for a few years. As a result most of the distance markers are in metric. But at some point during its lifetime someone replaced the teebox signs so those are now in imperial. I remember the first time I played being puzzled when I was alongside a 150 marker and my GPS was insisting I was 164 yards from the hole. So that's a bit whacky :D

Edited by AndrueC
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, martin_wynne said:

Very difficult to measure a hole in the road to the nearest centimetre.

When driving past, but if you're sat in it with a drawing board and several tape measures, quite easy, if a little time-consuming (and noisy).

• Agree 1

29 minutes ago, kevinlms said:

All of which makes the sign even sillier, because they took a rounded off distance and made it accurate to 2 decimal places. 650 metres would have been sufficiently accurate.

I remember a science book from the period when metrication was introduced, which had a diagram showing the relationship between the earth and the moon, and the caption clearly stated that the moon was “approximately 240,000 miles from the earth” but a hapless editor had added, in parenthesis, “386,242.56 kilometres”!

• Like 2
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Gold
14 minutes ago, The Pilotman said:

What this thread needs is more Whacky Signs and less pedantr🙄

Fewer pedants... to match a quantifiable number on each side of the comparison.

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 2
  • Funny 1