RMweb

Whacky Signs.

Colin_McLeod

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, KeithMacdonald said:

It all seems so cruel ... don't let your children see it!

image.png.7b7b2f23eb47038e50deabc11447d278.png

It may refer to those reflective lane markers such as the amber ones below:

IMG_2182.JPG.4230d0258b75c3c92a71124551868466.JPG

Or  the reflectors in this type of sign were referred to as cat eyes:

1970527235_0002-007STOPredplasticbeadsign.JPG.617b087269ba6b937b6f0a59c6a5a3a6.JPG

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
19 minutes ago, J. S. Bach said:

It may refer to those reflective lane markers such as the amber ones below:

IMG_2182.JPG.4230d0258b75c3c92a71124551868466.JPG

Or  the reflectors in this type of sign were referred to as cat eyes:

1970527235_0002-007STOPredplasticbeadsign.JPG.617b087269ba6b937b6f0a59c6a5a3a6.JPG

The cat's eye design originated in the UK in 1934 and is today used all over the world. The inventor of cat's eyes was Percy Shaw of Boothtown, Halifax, West Yorkshire, England.

The term "cat's eyes" is universally recognised in the UK to mean reflective road studs. They are temporarily removed when a road is resurfaced, and then replaced. Hence the warning sign.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cat's_eye_(road)

Edited by martin_wynne
  • Agree 4
  • Informative/Useful 1

20 hours ago, martin_wynne said:

The cat's eye design originated in the UK in 1934 and is today used all over the world. The inventor of cat's eyes was Percy Shaw of Boothtown, Halifax, West Yorkshire, England.

The story I was told (probably apocryphal) was that he was returning home from the pub and got the idea when he saw the reflection of his lights in a cat's eyes.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold

However he got the idea, my old dad, who did a fair bit of driving at night, reckoned it was one of the cleverest and most useful inventions he'd ever seen, and he may well have had a point.  I cannot imagine driving at night without them; it would just be terrifying!

• Agree 5

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, Michael Hodgson said:

The story I was told (probably apocryphal) was that he was returning home from the pub and got the idea when he saw the reflection of his lights in a cat's eyes.

And that, had the cat been going the other way, he might have invented the pencil sharpener.

• Funny 7

The famous Alan Whicker interview from 1965 is still out there on YouTube, I didn't hear anything about the reason for the naming of Cat's Eyes but the story of driving home from the pub on a foggy night is told. 

It was interesting to turn on auto captions (press 'C'), by and large it couldn't cope with Shaw's Yorkshire accent and idioms, Whicker's RP caused fewer problems but still caused problems.  There's a shade of Python's four Yorkshiremen when he reminisces about going to London on a golden sovereign and getting accommodation for a shilling.  It's also interesting to see Percy's healthy diet and life style.

• Like 3