The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Whacky Signs.

Colin_McLeod

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, J. S. Bach said:

That white partial circle on the right looks like the wheelchair symbol indicating the real ramp.

Haha yes you've rumbled it.  But the sign is in the wrong place and should be on the opposite wall pointing to the right.  As it is, the sign does point directly down the steps. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

14 hours ago, newbryford said:

It may be flyable, but is it landable?

As the RN pilot replied, it would certainly be "fast" and given it was a Phantom, quite possible / likely to burst a tyre or two.  Flapless landings are certainly not common, due to RAF servicing standards, but not unheard of.  Dependant on what runways might remain available, possibly also overrun, off the end / into an arrestor net / onto an arrestor run off area {If you're lucky enough to have one of either}.  Other possibilities included landing on motorways, with obvious attendant risks.  His point was that he was better off taking his chances giving it a go, rather than sit, waiting for one of the buckets of russian sunshine,{supposedly} en-route.

If you can walk away, it's a good landing.....

• Like 5

18 hours ago, The Johnster said:

The idea behind this was that, if the airfield came under attack, ground or air, they could jump into the nearest aircraft, start it up, and take off in it, in the hope that they could find somewhere safe to land it, and the hope that they could actually land it, as with airfields under attack it would be needed.  Seemed a bit unlikely to me; imagine having had an afternoon in a Chipmunk with an instructor a few years ago and then having to fire up a £6million Tornado and flick all the corrent knobs and switches to get it airborne!  Might have worked in WW1, but now?  Don't think so!

Completely agree with the concept - and sometimes it actually worked!

e.g. the RAF ground crew engineer that unwittingly took off in a Lightning.

On 22 July 1966 Walter "Taffy" Holden, an engineer in command of No. 33 Maintenance Unit RAF with limited experience flying small single-engine trainer aircraft, inadvertently engaged the afterburner of a Mach 2.0-capable English Electric Lightning during ground testing. Unable to disengage the afterburner, Holden ran down the runway, narrowly missing a crossing fuel bowser and a de Havilland Comet taking off, before taking off himself.

Taking off is one thing, how about getting down in one piece?

Flying without a helmet or canopy, the ejection seat disabled, and the landing gear locked down, Holden aborted his first two landing attempts. He landed on his third approach, striking the runway with the aircraft's tail as he adopted in his landing technique of a taildragger aircraft. The aircraft returned to service, and was subsequently acquired by the Imperial War Museum Duxford.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holden's_Lightning_flight

• Like 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

6 minutes ago, KeithMacdonald said:

My father was a Navigator during WW2.

Once his pilot had become incapacitated by enemy fire, he decided it was a good idea to land the Mosquito himself.

I wouldn't be here if he hadn't.

• Like 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Round of applause 4
  • Friendly/supportive 4

52 minutes ago, KeithMacdonald said:

Taking off is one thing, how about getting down in one piece?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holden's_Lightning_flight

At the time, there was quite a bit of debate about, quite how unwitting the gentleman's trip really was, as many thought that simply closing the throttle, or HP Cocks, {Fuel cut-offs} would have prevented him from having to take all that trouble, in the air...  {???} He was, after all qualified, Lightening" for carrying out ground test engine runs {ie. firing up and controlling the engine testing runs}.  He would have to be very familiar, indeed, with the control process before he got that qualification.

He had, apparently,  also taken a flying course, available for some Engineer officers, which took them through to get their Wings, so was rather better qualified than Wikipedia would suggest.  The idea being that they would make better Engineers, if they, properly, understood what went on in the air, as a result of their work on the ground.  My Wg Cdr in Berlin was one such qualified Engineer Officer, wearing  his Wings with justifiable pride.

I'm not for coming to firm conclusions on "conspiracy theories", but even a "Frightening" takes time to run down the length of a runway.....    That said, I wasn't there, so the possibility of jammed levers, throttle gates, confusion in the moment, things happening too fast to think properly...   Who of us might put their hand up and swear that they would have been able to think clearly through massive noise, acceleration, vibration and G forces, that two afterburners would cause.....   

.....   Not me.

Julian

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

I seem to recall some drunk (I think railwaymen) missing the last train back from Bury St Edmunds to either Newmarket or Cambridge so decided to take the 08 out of the yard and drive that home. 

• Like 2
  • Funny 4

Well, as part of my training I got to work at Strawberry Hill when the Networkers were being commissioned. Now we had a test path between the service trains on the Shepperton Branch.  There was also a couple of withdrawn DEMU power cars coupled back to back in the yard in working order, and even better the batteries were not flat and they had fuel...

So we found a Driver and claimed that they needed a test run, contacted the signaller to say we had a test train ready, and half the technical team went on board for a joyride in a 1000hp 2 car DEMU to Shepperton and back!

• Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 6

28 minutes ago, Michael Hodgson said:

I recall hearing of an incident many years ago when a youth stole an unattended loco in the Newport area and managed to drive it along the S Wales Main Line to somewhere near Severn Tunnel Junction before being forced to stop, don't remember the details.

Perhaps as well before a number of possible disastrous consequences occurred, things like boiler water levels, boiler temperatures / pressures, or lack of, other traffic {presumably someone raised the alarm and alerted controllers, various, to keep that risk down??}.  Just how does anyone get to think that's a good idea?

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Michael Hodgson said:

My father was a Navigator during WW2.

Once his pilot had become incapacitated by enemy fire, he decided it was a good idea to land the Mosquito himself.

I wouldn't be here if he hadn't.

I've read that it became an unofficial 'standard practise' amongst the heavy bomber crews for the pilot to give some of the crew - usually the Flight Engineer, who was next to him - some rudimentary flying instruction in case the pilot was injured or killed, so they could at least get back to England, and they could bale out, if not actually land the plane.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, Michael Hodgson said:

I recall hearing of an incident many years ago when a youth stole an unattended loco in the Newport area and managed to drive it along the S Wales Main Line to somewhere near Severn Tunnel Junction before being forced to stop, don't remember the details.

I blame train simulator. I would love to take a joyride in an HST 😁

• Funny 2

19 hours ago, jcredfer said:

That said, I wasn't there, so the possibility of jammed levers, throttle gates, confusion in the moment, things happening too fast to think properly...   Who of us might put their hand up and swear that they would have been able to think clearly through massive noise, acceleration, vibration and G forces, that two afterburners would cause.....   

Complete empathetic agreement. I have enough trouble in my own car, with 90% of the buttons and controls that I never need to touch. And then when strange things start happening, there's a few seconds of confusion ... WTF did I just press that I didn't mean to? ... By which time (I imagine) in a Frightening you are already airborn and needing a change of underwear.

• Like 2
  • Agree 3

6 hours ago, Nick C said:

There was another one a few months back, a guy in Katowice, Poland, stole a tram, and drove it to the neighbouring city, picking up and dropping off passengers on the way...

No mention of picking up passengers, even if Tramwaje Slaskie do run a 24 hour service on some lines......

https://polishnews.co.uk/katowice-chorzow-he-stole-a-tram-from-a-depot-to-stop-the-self-proclaimed-driver-they-had-to-turn-off-the-traction-current/

Zawodzie Depot is to the east of Katowice, so he did well to cover the 6 or so miles to Chorzow!

There was also this one in Maryland  last year where someone - actually a 21 year old and not a "kid" as it says in the video - drove an MTA switcher out of the Glen Burnie workshops and up the line - until he hit an LRV coming the other way....

Edited by Johann Marsbar
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, Nick C said:

There was another one a few months back, a guy in Katowice, Poland, stole a tram, and drove it to the neighbouring city, picking up and dropping off passengers on the way...

1 hour ago, Michael Hodgson said:

I could do that. Gis a job.

That's in Liverpool.

I'm desperate Dan.

• Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
18 hours ago, jcredfer said:

Perhaps as well before a number of possible disastrous consequences occurred, things like boiler water levels, boiler temperatures / pressures, or lack of, other traffic {presumably someone raised the alarm and alerted controllers, various, to keep that risk down??}.  Just how does anyone get to think that's a good idea?

Six or eight pints of Stella?

• Agree 3
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Johann Marsbar said:

No mention of picking up passengers, even if Tramwaje Slaskie do run a 24 hour service on some lines......

https://polishnews.co.uk/katowice-chorzow-he-stole-a-tram-from-a-depot-to-stop-the-self-proclaimed-driver-they-had-to-turn-off-the-traction-current/

Zawodzie Depot is to the east of Katowice, so he did well to cover the 6 or so miles to Chorzow!

There was also this one in Maryland  last year where someone - actually a 21 year old and not a "kid" as it says in the video - drove an MTA switcher out of the Glen Burnie workshops and up the line - until he hit an LRV coming the other way....

Passengers are mentioned in the follow up article:

https://polishnews.co.uk/katowice-chorzow-he-took-the-tram-from-the-depot-to-stop-the-self-proclaimed-driver-they-had-to-turn-off-the-traction-current-arrest-for-three-months/

And on TVP:

https://tvpworld.com/64249726/poland-man-steals-tram-drives-to-neighbouring-city-picking-up-passengers

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Nick C said:

Interesting - Hadn't realised he took one of the newer ones either, I was expecting it to be a Konstal 105Na or something like that!

He obviously knew the procedure for changing the electric points en-route as well, though they haven't stated which way he went.  The trunk route past the Silesia City Shopping Centre and Stadion Slaskie would be the easiest.....

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Johann Marsbar said:

A friend (now retired) worked for the MTA and operated that motor many times; one thing that he told me about it was the the cab light bulbs gave off more heat than the cab heater!

• Like 3