The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Whacky Signs.

Colin_McLeod

• RMweb Premium
On 20/01/2023 at 19:02, Michael Hodgson said:

My father was a Navigator during WW2.

Once his pilot had become incapacitated by enemy fire, he decided it was a good idea to land the Mosquito himself.

I wouldn't be here if he hadn't.

The same thing happened in WW1 to Captain Howey, creator of the Romney, Hythe & Dymchurch railway. His pilot was killed and he had to climb forward from the observer's seat and manged to crash land the plane. Unfortunately it was behind enemy lines and he was taken prisoner.

• Like 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

14 minutes ago, 62613 said:

I think this is getting towards "Certain age" territory😚

He died in 2007.  His marketing name was chosen when he was in gaol for dangerous driving, and met another inmate known to authorities as Awful Knofel.  Not a great one for form-filling - too many difficult questions like "Have you any criminal convictions ?" or "Have you ever had been declined insurance ?"

• Like 1

On 01/02/2023 at 14:29, Colin_McLeod said:

Overlooking the effect of a curved wall this is probably not quite the effect Planus bathrooms wanted for their toilet range.

FB_IMG_1675261548918.jpg.8fe956477ba148626a5adb9ba1f61371.jpg

I could imagine the Penistone Urinal Company having a similar problem.

Edited by CameronL
Changed a bit
  • Funny 6

On 09/09/2022 at 05:36, Ozexpatriate said:

It did for Tasman regarding the antipodean islands that might soon be known instead as Aotearoa, but in Wiltshire?

Hello Ozexpatriate and others, 1 / from the Maori perspective, Aotearoa, is the original name. 2 / the relatively recent practice of restoring Maori names, or dual naming is acknowledging the original place names, and is an important recognition of a shared history that was once ignored. 3 / this is now starting to be a trend in Australia regarding original Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander place names. 4 / In Victoria, Australia, the Grampians ( mountain range and State National Park ) were renamed back to the Aborignal place name of  Gariwerd, and a work colleague was unimpressed, and  complained that the original Grampians name should restored. I replied that Gariwerd is the original name, and the Government has restored it ! ( Subsequently, a change of Government reversed that decision, and a further change of Government has implemented a dual name .) 5 / personally, I am in favour of restoring appropriate and relevant original place names, and I am also supportive of dual naming in some cases. In reality, some individual cases may have had a number of different names for the same location , especially for shared locations. 6 / Perhaps we could restore the original aboriginal names for the South, East and West Alligator Rivers ( Northern Territory ), especially as we have no native alligators in Australia , we only have crocodiles ( a post naming distinction apparently ) ( and in case you are wondering , neither the crocodiles, nor the sharks, cleaned out the alligators; ref the song "The Pommy Jackaroo" by Buster Noble ).Regards from Australia.

Edited by Tumut
adding,Northern Territory
  • Like 6

22 hours ago, Tumut said:

the antipodean islands that might soon be known instead as Aotearoa, but in Wiltshire?

It hasn't been renamed (yet)

image.png.326e4ad34fdda2ad58a3d6da681e147b.png

22 hours ago, Tumut said:

1 / from the Maori perspective, Aotearoa, is the original name

No problem with that. Just wondering what it was called by the native population before the Maori arrived?

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, KeithMacdonald said:

It hasn't been renamed (yet)

image.png.326e4ad34fdda2ad58a3d6da681e147b.png

No problem with that. Just wondering what it was called by the native population before the Maori arrived?

Hello Keith Macdonald , Compound2632, and others, 1 / Maori are Polynesians, who are the original settlers of Aotearoa  New Zealand, and arrived there by canoe around 700 years ago. Captain James Cook described the inhabitants of New Zealand as Polynesian, and subsequent archaeological, and academic, research over the last 100 years indicates that to be true. Conspiracy theories to the contrary are lacking evidence, and propagated by some people who should ( and probably do )  know better. 2 / why restrict New Zealand , Wiltshire to Maori settlers ? Would not Dutch and Danish settlers also be welcome ?😀 3 / Drifting to the northern hemisphere, some may know of Moscow, Idaho, which is currently served by BNSF / Burlington Northern Santa Fe ( previously, BN, Great Northern ) Union Pacific having left years ago, as did SP&S / Spokane, Portland & Seattle ( GN/NP joint control, later part of BN ) and CMStP&P/Milwaukee. Train photos at Moscow, Idaho frequently appeared in books and magazines, and I ( and presumably others ) assumed it was named after Moscow, Russia, and probably due to Russia emigrants, but no, it was actually named after Moscow, Pennsylvania, due to its resemblance to the Pennsylvania town. Moscow, Pennsylvania was settled in the 1830s by Russian-German Lutherans, and is named after the Russian original. Not to be outdone, there are apparently 45 other locations named Moscow in the USA. And by the way, Moscow, Idaho hosts the Lionel Hampton Jazz festival each February ! End of trivia, Regards from Ostralia.

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Someone who wanted a churn for his burning butter, probably.

Treorchy in the Rhondda Valley was so famous in the 20s and 30s for Trade Union activism it was known as 'Little Moscow' and usually spelled 'Treorki'.  My dad used to sing the 'Internationale' whenever we drove through it, which is how I learned the words.  'The people's car is small and black/it has the engine in the back...'.

• Funny 3