RMweb

Whacky Signs.

Colin_McLeod

13 minutes ago, The Johnster said:

My dad used to sing the 'Internationale' whenever we drove through it, which is how I learned the words.  'The people's car is small and black/it has the engine in the back...'.

"...The working class can kiss my a*se,

I’ve got the foreman’s job at last.

You can tell old Joe I’m off the dole -

He can stick his Red Flag up his hole....""

• Like 1
  • Funny 4

2 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

I wasn't aware that there had been Maori settlement in Wiltshire?

Coincidently, a friend who was based at RAF Lyneham, a few hundred yards from New Zealand, Wiltshire, once told me of their delight of the (admittedly rare) occasions when any of the New Zealand Army (Māori: Ngāti Tūmatauenga, "Tribe of the God of War) flew into Lyneham. So the RAF could take them "home", right outside the airbase.

You might ask, why was any of the New Zealand Army in Wiltshire? IIRC, it was something to do with visiting JSCSC Shrivenham.

• Like 4

29 minutes ago, Michael Hodgson said:

And the ever popular

The Peoples flag is deepest pink

It's stained with spilt New Statesman ink...

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Tumut said:

Captain James Cook described the inhabitants of New Zealand as Polynesian, and subsequent archaeological, and academic, research over the last 100 years indicates that to be true. Conspiracy theories to the contrary are lacking evidence, and propagated by some people who should ( and probably do )  know better

Oh dear, sorry to read the old "academic" excuse. Which means university intelligentsia repeating the orthodoxy they learnt when they were students. With the usual casual arrogance that native oral traditions - from the Maori themselves - are not be trusted by patronising white folk.

Here's one piece of the "lacking" evidence, from the Ngäti Hotu people.

Chapter One Preview: One Woman's Battle for Recognition of Ngäti Hotu

In the traditions of Ngäti Tüwharetoa of Taupö, Ngati Hotu were an aboriginal people living in that area at a time when the people of Tüwharetoa i te came to live in the lands claimed by their ancestor Tia. It was thought the original people took the name Ngäti Hotu to be spared from being destroyed by the Tainui and Te Arawa peoples. One story among the Tainui people says that Kupe found these islands inhabited by a short, light-skinned whose tribes were named Türehu-türangi, Pokepoke-wai, Hä-moamoa, Patu-paiarehe and Türehe. Monica's ancestors were here too, the Urukehu often mentioned by early historians and connected with the legendary Türehu people.

Ref: https://www.elocal.co.nz/Articles/2636

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Michael Hodgson said:

Reminds me of this little saying from the building trade, He who works hard and does his best, will go down the road with the rest. He who skives and f**** about, will get to see the job out.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, KeithMacdonald said:

Oh dear, sorry to read the old "academic" excuse. Which means university intelligentsia repeating the orthodoxy they learnt when they were students. With the usual casual arrogance that native oral traditions - from the Maori themselves - are not be trusted by patronising white folk.

Putting the far-right misappropriation of the well-known Ngāti Hotu history into context (Invision bowdleriser permitting):

https://thespinoff.co.nz/society/22-05-2017/the-white-tangata-whenua-and-other--from-the-one-new-zealand-crew

Edited by Krusty
  • Like 3
  • Funny 1

11 hours ago, KeithMacdonald said:

Dear Keith Macdonald and others, 1 / this is an interesting article, of which I was unaware, thank you for providing the link. I was unaware that there were predecessors to the Maori in New Zealand, so, like you, I wonder what they called Aoreatoa ( Land of the Long White Cloud ) , which I understand originally only referred by the Maori to the North Island , so what it was called prior to the Maori is of interest. 2 / I was neither meaning to, nor intending to be, patronising. I agree that oral traditions are important and insightful, and I was intending to refer to what I would call proper and genuine academic research, which in recent decades at least, does refer to oral tradition, which in some cases, is also referenced in 17th and 18th century journals , even if only as a passing comment. (" Passing comments" in letters and diaries can have quite unforeseen consequences, re General Heinz Guderian's claim that he was unaware of the OKW order that captured Soviet Red Army Commissars were to be summarily shot, unfortunately for Guderian, his own dairy, in his own handwrighting said otherwise ! ) ( Approximately half of all Soviet Red Army captives, died whilst in German hands, and very few female Red Army captives survived as OKW issued an order for their immediate execution upon capture. ) ( Some years back I met a German Jewish lady whose brother was in the Waffen SS, and who spent 10 years in Siberia as a POW, which she thought was harsh and unjust. My response was amazement that he even got to Siberia, let alone spent 10 years there as a POW, as it is reasonably well known that the Red Army usually summarily shot SS captives. ) 3 / I understand that "Polynesian" covers a wide number of Central Pacific clans / nations, of which the Maori are one, however, I am happy to be corrected if this is not so. 4 / Peoples from the South West Pacific are generally referred to as Melanesians , yet you only have to look at PNG / Papua New Guinea, which alone has 850 local languages, and parts of PNG were only visited by European Australians post WW2. If this seems a bit bizarre, it should be recalled that PNG ( and Indonesian controlled West Irian / Irian Jaya / West Papua ) is very mountainous with steep, and deep valleys, all of which is heavily rainforrested, and which is impassable to mechanised transport . ( The WW2 Kokoda Track was supposed to be upgraded to a road during the War. The terrain is such that this ( to date ) has still not happened. ) 5 / Another interesting avenue is linguists doing historical language research. My wife and I were in Turkiye about 10 years ago, and apparently linguists there traced Turkic languages ( of which there are many ) back to Hokkaido in Japan. 6 / More trivia over, and apologies for not submitting a wacky sign, as I have yet to see one ! Regards from Australia.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Krusty said:

Putting the far-right misappropriation of the well-known Ngāti Hotu history into context (Invision bowdleriser permitting):

https://thespinoff.co.nz/society/22-05-2017/the-white-tangata-whenua-and-other--from-the-one-new-zealand-crew

Dear Krusty and others, 1 / I was also unaware of this particular article as well, though prefer not to give any acknowledgement to Far Right Fascists, though this style of fact and evidence free dissertation partly relies on the "no such thing as bad publicity" to get heard. 2 / re Noel Hilliam's claim re Ancient Greeks, I presume they could not circumnavigate Britain due to the Ancient Britons having heard of " beware of Greeks bearing gifts "😀 3 / I live in hope ( though not expectation ) that so called mainstream journalism would at least do a basic search to ascertain that ridiculous and / or outlandish claims have at least a modicum of published research, but no, publish and be dammed, even at the risk of demonstrating complete incompetence, seems to be the go ( I am suddenly reminded of Boris Johnson, sacked for lying both as a journalist, and as a PM ! ).4 / still not seen a wacky sign, Regards from Australia.

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Tumut said:

..., and parts of PNG were only visited by European Australians post WW2. If this seems a bit bizarre, it should be recalled that PNG ( and Indonesian controlled West Irian / Irian Jaya / West Papua ) is very mountainous with steep, and deep valleys, all of which is heavily rainforrested, and which is impassable to mechanised transport ....

It was fascinating to read in David Attenborough's autobiography that in some of his earlier natural history series, he and his crew were the first Europeans to make contact with some of the tribes they visited - in the 1960s and 70s...

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

It's a valid point, though.  People not familiar with the workings of real fires are apt to pile the fuel on in order to get a wasteful roaring blaze, which looks great but can't be sat withing ten feet of, stands a good chance of setting the flue alight if it hasn't been cleaned, and will reduce a week's supply of logs to ash in a few hours.

• Like 2
  • Agree 9

On 05/02/2023 at 16:25, Tumut said:

Hello Keith Macdonald , Compound2632, and others, 1 / Maori are Polynesians, who are the original settlers of Aotearoa  New Zealand, and arrived there by canoe around 700 years ago. Captain James Cook described the inhabitants of New Zealand as Polynesian, and subsequent archaeological, and academic, research over the last 100 years indicates that to be true. Conspiracy theories to the contrary are lacking evidence, and propagated by some people who should ( and probably do )  know better. 2 / why restrict New Zealand , Wiltshire to Maori settlers ? Would not Dutch and Danish settlers also be welcome ?😀 3 / Drifting to the northern hemisphere, some may know of Moscow, Idaho, which is currently served by BNSF / Burlington Northern Santa Fe ( previously, BN, Great Northern ) Union Pacific having left years ago, as did SP&S / Spokane, Portland & Seattle ( GN/NP joint control, later part of BN ) and CMStP&P/Milwaukee. Train photos at Moscow, Idaho frequently appeared in books and magazines, and I ( and presumably others ) assumed it was named after Moscow, Russia, and probably due to Russia emigrants, but no, it was actually named after Moscow, Pennsylvania, due to its resemblance to the Pennsylvania town. Moscow, Pennsylvania was settled in the 1830s by Russian-German Lutherans, and is named after the Russian original. Not to be outdone, there are apparently 45 other locations named Moscow in the USA. And by the way, Moscow, Idaho hosts the Lionel Hampton Jazz festival each February ! End of trivia, Regards from Ostralia.

Moscow Ayrshire is not far from where I live,

_methode_times_prod_web_bin_13c2592a-a4af-11ec-9909-6547dd4945b7.jpg.d2c604f480459476e6922afd6ed0b24e.jpg

However the locals insist that the village name is pronounced as Mos cow (as in the Bovine variety).  Meanwhile only 47 miles away near Falkirk

p4919.jpg.b10021d34909d22608af91d1044f5ab3.jpg

Jim

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

In desperation I went looking for some of my favourite wacky signs. I'm sure in my youth the subscription was "slow old people crossing":

Elderly-People-crossing.jpg

But I learn from the article from which I have taken that picture that even this anodyne revision is coming in for criticism from employment rights campaigners as giving a negative image of the over 50s; though I'm minded that many of you, like me, although over 50, would baulk at being described as elderly. 

So, nothing for it but:

320px-A99_Bridge_of_Wester_-_Crossroads_

Or does this give a negative image of our larger flora? 

• Like 1
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Premium
34 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

I'm minded that many of you, like me, although over 50, would baulk at being described as elderly. 

I'm 76 and someone addressed me as "Young Man" today🙂.

They didn't look any older than me.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

1 hour ago, melmerby said:

People keep calling me "Sonny".....I have at least 20 years on most of 'em...

• Like 3

1 hour ago, melmerby said:

Take it as a compliment. 

Me and the other oldest old codgers at our local running club often use the salutation "hello young man".

Age is a state of mind.

• Like 2
  • Agree 3