Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Whacky Signs.

Colin_McLeod

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, AndrueC said:

could just take the A5 all the way up the Conwy valley to <insert stupidly long name here>glan Conwy but that's not a lot of fun.

A5 not fun?  You want to try coming down from Capel Curig on a wet night heading north with a full minibus when you've had to change a wheel and are pushing it for the ferry at Holyhead, mate.  I'm talking Sabine in the transit on the Nurburgring fun!

We made the ferry.  This was before the road improvements on Anglesey and included slamming through Gaerwen High Steet at two in the morning at what I could not possibly confirm was over 80mph...

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 7

Funnily enough that was Newcastle, a team that's probably one of the furthest from Wales!

I think Liverpool is the only EPL team that has an official Welsh name in Lerpwl. One of the few English clubs that have played in the Welsh FA Cup. The bigger teams usually played reserve teams.

Unfortunately UEFA stopped teams that play in English leagues playing in it, even the Welsh ones!

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

I think Liverpool is the only EPL team that has an official Welsh name in Lerpwl. One of the few English clubs that have played in the Welsh FA Cup. The bigger teams usually played reserve teams.

If it's just a question of having a Welsh version of the place name, then you can also have Dinas Manceinion (Manchester City), and Unedig Manceinion (Manchester United)

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, melmoth said:

If it's just a question of having a Welsh version of the place name, then you can also have Dinas Manceinion (Manchester City), and Unedig Manceinion (Manchester United)

It's an official name though. Used on Welsh language league tables.

Look at the football scores on S4C it's the only English team they do it for.

Even this Welsh speaking school has used it, but notice they haven't changed Manchester City.

https://ysgolplascoch.cymru/testun-trafod-yr-wythnos-weekly-discussion-topic-8/

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
40 minutes ago, melmoth said:

Manceinion Unedig, perhaps, but not Unedig Manceinion, I think.

I daresay that if Cardiff City get promoted, they'll have an official Welsh name.

Edited by Jeremy Cumberland
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, melmoth said:

What about Wrecsam?

• Agree 3

10 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

Funnily enough that was Newcastle, a team that's probably one of the furthest from Wales!

Unfortunately UEFA stopped teams that play in English leagues playing in it, even the Welsh ones!

It's difficult enough to play anyway, let alone with a smaller team.....

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Evening all.

Spotted this afternoon. Sign in charity shop door. Guisborough North Yorks. Me and the missus just burst out laughing. Luckily the shop is open 7 days a week so you will only have to ''sit tight'' until it opens in the morning.

Cheers, Rich

IMG_20231008_142707.jpg

• Funny 12

7 minutes ago, TinTracks said:

Evening all.

Spotted this afternoon. Sign in charity shop door. Guisborough North Yorks. Me and the missus just burst out laughing. Luckily the shop is open 7 days a week so you will only have to ''sit tight'' until it opens in the morning.

Cheers, Rich

IMG_20231008_142707.jpg

I've just had to clean tea off my tablet screen....

• Funny 7
  • Friendly/supportive 1

An actual sign in Swansea -

lostintranslation.png.5af12e5569b3193c2415ddc37f899e1b.png

The council emailed a translator for the Welsh version. What they got back was an automated email which said "I am not in the office at the moment. Send any work to be translated", so that's what they wrote on the sign.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Round of applause 2
  • Funny 7

Just now, CameronL said:

An actual sign in Swansea -

lostintranslation.png.5af12e5569b3193c2415ddc37f899e1b.png

The council emailed a translator for the Welsh version. What they got back was an automated email which said "I am not in the office at the moment. Send any work to be translated", so that's what they wrote on the sign.

Of course, the translator should have provided a bilingual "away from office" message, so the entire foul up was entirely their fault rather than that of the sign makers, who were trying to do the right thing.

• Agree 4

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, The Johnster said:

Many years ago, chatting up a girl at a house party in London, and she says ‘say something sexy to me in Welsh’; so I put on my best quiet manly baritone and said ‘Coehyddwfys, mae cerbyd yn wedi’n ol’, which had the desired effect and there wasn’t a lot of conversation after that.  London girls, eh?

‘Caution, this vehicle is reversing’; English is such an unromantic and prosaic language…

Would have served you right if she'd been a Welsh speaker herself...

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Round of applause 2
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Gold

Hadn’t thought of that, and yes, it would have.  As it was it was a welcome change from my normal chatup fail hall of shame!

You are looking at the utter antithesis of smooth, urbane, and sophistimacated here.  I once, in a bar seating bay, became aware out of the corner of my eye that a girl in the next bay had got a ciggie out, and thought it would be impressive if I offered her a light without actually turning around.   As I did, the conversation faded on both bays and it dawned on me that something hadn’t gone to plan; oh sh*t, have I set her on fire…

Turned around to see that I was attempting to light her up with a grubby packet of Polos that had been in the bottom of my pocket for months.

Not cool, another failure to add to my already impressive list!  I was a brilliant wingman, could make Wayne Dibley look cool and sexy. 

Edited by The Johnster
  • Funny 11
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Compound2632 said:

Would have served you right if she'd been a Welsh speaker herself...

I was talking to a Norwegian guy once, he said that once him and a friend were in a bar in Scotland, being rather explicitly rude in Norwegian about a nearby woman. Who turned around and told them where to go in Norwegian.

• Like 3
  • Round of applause 2
  • Funny 9

• RMweb Gold

The Johnster has a vague memory of this incident on the BBC Wales news about ten years ago.  The council were quite embarrassed about it; plenty of Welsh speakers but nobody supervising this particular order.  The signs are made up in England somewhere for the whole of the UK, and are based on the written instruction on the form, transcribed by computer....

It happens occasionally, and is always good for a bit of mockery by the media.  I imaging the same thing happens with bilingual signs in the Gaeltach areas of Scotland and Ulster, and probably anywhere else where this sort of bilingualism is the order of the day.

Edited by The Johnster
  • Like 4
  • Agree 2

15 minutes ago, KeithMacdonald said:

Is it safe to assume there was nobody in the Swansea council office who spoke Welsh?

At least on that day.

Can @The Johnster confirm (or not)?

Its not a given that the actual sign makers were/are in Wales. That function might have been outsourced across the border. In addition, I don't think that its been mandated (yet) that applications for official jobs in Wales must be completed in Welsh and that interviews must be conducted in the language too....

Of course nowadays we all use Google Translate for all our everyday Welsh needs!

Dim mynediad i gerbydau nwyddau trwm. Safle preswyl yn unig.

Edited by Hroth
The Johnster beat me to it!
  • Like 3