Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Whacky Signs.

Colin_McLeod

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, J. S. Bach said:

Too bad that the "photographer" did not include the whole cover as it could be autographed by the person(s) who did the translation. I have a translation called THE MESSAGE that was done in 2002; the creator is still alive and I suppose (if I wanted to do a bit of long-distance travel) I could get it signed.

What I really suspect is that some dolt put that sticker on it just to waste for a stupid photoshoot.

My god-father translated one of St Paul's letters to the Corinthians, for The New English Bible around 1955. I have a dedicated copy of NEB with his signature.

• Like 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
On 25/11/2023 at 20:14, ChrisN said:

Like when my friend got knocked off his bike by an ambulance, and so they then took him to hospital.  (He was not seriously hurt.)

I was run into by a Dial-a-Ride disability minibus and fairly gently tipped over, landing astride my fallen bike. I did ask the driver if he was looking for more clients. Although I wasn't noticeably hurt at the time, I have since wondered if my inguinal hernia, which became apparent 20+ years later, was caused by the way my legs were forced apart. The driver did keep in touch to make sure I was still OK in the days after.

• Friendly/supportive 6

• RMweb Gold
On 29/11/2023 at 13:20, Dunsignalling said:

Reminds me of those bridge plates that state "This Bridge is suitable only for traffic which is normal to the area".....

I thought that I had a photo of one of those signs, but it turned out to be this one. I am not sure how many 'engines' pass through Henley with trucks in tow now. Perhaps they were still doing it in 2015. That seems a long time ago now.

Notices on Thames bridge at Henley 19 8 2015.jpg

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

This more of a quirky juxtaposition - 'COOP Funeral Care' next to 'Window to the Womb'. No, I haven't Googled the latter. You can if you want.

Poor quality snap. I was heading for my bus home having had a stimulating afternoon perusing the offerings of the four finalists of this year's Turner Prize. I followed the message of one but the others were beyond me.

What I really liked was a winged Assyrian bull made out of date product tins, which sat majestically outside the Towner Gallery.

Cradle to the grave Eastbourne 28 11 2023.jpg

Lamassu of Nineveh information panel outside Towner Eastbourne 28 11 2023.jpg

Lamassu of Nineveh two sides outside Towner Eastbourne 28 11 2023.jpg

Lamassu of Nineveh a date with history Towner Eastbourne 28 11 2023.jpg

Edited by phil_sutters
  • Like 7
  • Friendly/supportive 1

32 minutes ago, phil_sutters said:

Another example of someone creating business for themselves

Too many M&Ms perhaps.jpg

A quirky name, but the Dental lab is very much the unsung backroom workshop of clinical dentistry, producing dental appliances to the prescription of the dental surgeon. Most labs have no connection with the general public, though some technicians may practice as "denturists".

Its a long time since I've had contact with dental technology and some details may have changed!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Sidecar Racer said:

Clearly Party Gate is a pared down version of - 

Jesse Darling's installation - Turner Prize - Towner Gallery - Eastbourne - 28 11 2023.jpg

Edited by phil_sutters
  • Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, phil_sutters said:

What I really liked was a winged Assyrian bull made out of date product tins, which sat majestically outside the Towner Gallery.

Lamassu of Nineveh two sides outside Towner Eastbourne 28 11 2023.jpg

Lamassu of Nineveh a date with history Towner Eastbourne 28 11 2023.jpg

Nothing that a good spike maul wouldn't cure!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, phil_sutters said:

I thought that I had a photo of one of those signs, but it turned out to be this one. I am not sure how many 'engines' pass through Henley with trucks in tow now. Perhaps they were still doing it in 2015. That seems a long time ago now.

The Angel, as seen on the opposite side of the river, is a very fine pub too.

steve

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, Sidecar Racer said:

The problem with that is that it's sold as a spoof - but the entries are better and more meaningful than many of those in the real competition!

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 1

Just now, Nick C said:

The problem with that is that it's sold as a spoof - but the entries are better and more meaningful than many of those in the real competition!

Or at least, no worse! 🤔

• Agree 4

• RMweb Gold
19 hours ago, phil_sutters said:

The Taff Vale used lozenge-shaped cast iron notices barring locomotives over a weight limit from crossing road bridges; they meant traction engines and such of course.

17 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

image.png.0e1037d12e1fe43b6871dab81aa4999c.png

Back about 20 years ago, and maybe still, there was a sign on the seafront at Aberystwyth delineating which part of the beach dogs were permitted to use.  Aber has a fairly individual approach to bilingualism ('Great Darkgate Street' apparently translates as 'Stryd Fawr', which is usually 'High Street').  Anyway, back to the front, the seafront, the Welsh version was the delightful '< Dogs.. ..Dim Dogs >'.  I love that sort of stuff...

• Funny 6

5 minutes ago, The Johnster said:

Anyway, back to the front, the seafront, the Welsh version was the delightful '< Dogs.. ..Dim Dogs >'

Does that mean that dogs like Red Setters and Afghan Hounds are permitted?

Just askin'...

• Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2
  • Funny 3