RMweb

Bacup - Mills in the hills

Jason T

• RMweb Gold

Larry, I remember my nana's mangle: it was steel grey throughout. I used to love playing with it as a kid - though I got into trouble if I was caught! Deliberately soaking a bed blanket with water just to enjoy squeezing it out with the mangle was frowned upon by the "grown ups"!!

Those were the days!

Jeff

My Gran's mangle must have been posh then - it was finished in an Ivory colour - with black looking iron where the enamel had chipped off.

• Like 2

We must have been posh then.... I remember me dad laying a concrete base in the kitchen for the new Bendix automatic, 'all in one' washing machine and that was around 1960. Me mam thought this was great as it washed then spun the water out, quite amazing....

Well, I was only five.

Dave Franks.

• Like 3

Large galvanised steel baths were usually hung on outside wall near back door when not in use. I still remember being bathed in the small oval one with ridges that hurt your bum.

Regards,

Terry

• Like 1

When we had moved to an out of town estate leaving gran and her mangle behind in town in 1955,  we got a Hoover twin-tub with mini-mangle built on top.  So muggins dun the washing instead! 

As for baths, her indoors and I reverted to having a bath in the kitchen by the fire 1961-65 after getting wed and buying an old house. And even wearder having a crap at the bottom of the yard. Jason's Bacup brings it all back to life!

Edited by coachmann

I remember bathing in a tin bath in the kitchen of my grans, the water was heated by a gas 'copper' which also 'boiled' the clothes before going outside to get 'mangled'.

Toast/crumpets were made on an open coal fire with a toasting fork and chestnuts on the hearth. And if I was lucky (or not) I got to pluck the chicken for Sunday dinner which had been hung in the shed overnight after dad had throttled it.

Those were the days!

• RMweb Premium

Blimey Bodge. You really DID do a lot of snooping around. I bet you've found details that Jason didn't remember he'd made!

The layout and your photographs inspire me to pay the closest attention to detail with KL2.

Jeff

Andy 

Those two last posts of yours show some fantastic images of Bacup that I never spotted before, it shows that all those years of layout photography have paid off.

I'd better mention the bloke who built it too, cracking modelling Jason which is shown in some of those close-up shots like the first three in post 2282.

Thanks for the pics. Wow.  :swoon:   Personal favorite has to be the super D under the bridge.  If you print out some of these in sepia & age them a bit. Blow them up & frame them. Nobody would guess they were models.... Good to see some of the details somebody was too modest to show us.  One thing that stands out is the need for a good back scene, But please not blue sky & fluffy clouds. More a pea soup-er...It is Bacup after all.  View distance would be pretty poor with all those chimneys smoking. More silhouettes & smog than detail. Or even just a murky Grey sky.That would finish it off a treat. Just a thought.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Brilliant!

Like L & Y says, you would be hard pressed to distinguish them fro the real thing.

The view down the street is absolutely superb.

Well done Andy for the photos, but it's Jason's modelling which should take the credit.

Al.

Thanks for all the photos Andy and to Jason for giving you the opportunity to photograph Bacup.

Your photos have given us an excellent tour around the layout and the opportunity to admire some fantastic modelling. It's a pity that this is as close as most of us will get to Bacup as, sadly, there'll never be any chance of the layout being exhibited.

Alan   

• RMweb Premium

Cheers for popping up more of your lovely photos Andy.

I was working in Chester for most of last week and out (literally) all day yesterday so no real progress with the layout although I did find time to spray the 'A' Class in grey primer. No suitable satin black paint to move forward yet.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jason

For a good black paint I use Games Workshop Chaos Black in a spray can. It gives a satin finish of a loco that is in service but has been cleaned which is a good base to start weathering, and it goes on easy.

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Clive, was pondering over whether to use a rattle can or the airbrush and you may have just persuaded me. Is it enamel or acrylic? Does it make any difference (e.g acrylic onto Halfords primer)?

• Like 1