Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Bacup - Mills in the hills

Jason T

• RMweb Premium

I hadn't noticed that the thread had passed 50,000 views. not that it really matters but it's an excuse for a couple of photos, with the 8F and the (almost finished) Black Five on the layout.

The camera (or possibly me) was struggling today and the below two are the best ones of the 8F to come out but as can be seen, the flash went off in the first and you can see too much of the 'real World' (e.g. the wall, lamp, etc) in the second. Still.....

WeatherGirls005_zpse4103269.jpg

WeatherGirls001_zps2adf7cc3.jpg

And here is the Black Five, running light (most of my stock is in boxes now, awaiting the forthcoming move to a location where I can actually have a backscene, proper lighting, etc).

WeatherGirls015_zps85251b57.jpg

Just for kicks, I thought I would get a photo of the Hornby image of how the loco once looked, with how it now looks. The flash went off again :(

BeforeandAfter001_zps0830c368.jpg

• Like 14

Just an observation Jason. While it might be assumed the inside of the coal space would be rusty, and it would be if a loco was left out of service for some period of time, the coal that was dumped into tenders and bunkers was often wet. The smaller particles adhered to the coal space sides just as they did in coal wagons, and as the coal was used up it left a tidemark of sludge. Even if loaded dry, the fieman would soon have the hose on it to keep down dust.

Edited by coachmann
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Just an observation Jason. While it might be assumed the inside of the coal space would be rusty, and it would be if a loco was left out of service for some period of time, the coal that was dumped into tenders and bunkers was often wet. The smaller particles adhered to the coal space sides just as they did in coal wagons, and as the coal was used up it left a tidemark of sludge. Even if loaded dry, the fieman would soon have the hose on it to keep down dust.

I picked up the rusty coal space 'tip' from Shackleton's book. I'll take it back a bit with some soot, etc. Cheers Larry.

• RMweb Gold

I picked up the rusty coal space 'tip' from Shackleton's book. I'll take it back a bit with some soot, etc. Cheers Larry.

I would take it back more than bit to be honest Jason - Larry is very much on the money and in the period you're portraying the coal space metalwork was as he said - often layered with coal while any rust that did show tended to be dark and, again, not much different in shade from the coal blackened areas.  And of course there would also possibly still be some of the original black paint present as well - but not much and in patches.

the idea of 'rust everywhere' on steam engines in traffic is far from accurate from what I remember - yes there was sometimes rust, especially on burnt smokebox areas and on engines which had been out of traffic for a while.  But otherwise there was a coating of grime which included oil or grease in many areas and that kept rust at bay.  The fine 'dirty rust' misting on cylinder fronts (as you've got on 5026) was caused by steam and water and is a very typical effect on slightly down at heel locos although it could as easily be found on locos in otherwise clean condition.

One effect which tends to drive me onto the soapbox is 'white streaks' - these came from lime/chalk in the water and were thus something which were affected by local water supplies; lots of lovely soft water and there'd be little or no such staining, hard water and it could get quite bad especially if softening plants weren't present or weren't properly maintained.  In other words folk should study engines as they were in the area they are modelling.  (Not a criticism of your weathering in this regard but as I'd mounted my hobby-horse ... etc, sorry).

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

I've taken it right back with black weathering powders and real soot now. After taking the photo, I have added some more coal at the front too; it hadn't registered earlier, but the back of the doors to access the coal bunker isn't detailed in any way and it looked a bit odd.

Not the best shot, but I wanted to get it in natural light rather than the flash or the yellow glow of the lamp I use to try and get photos without flash in the attic.

Weatheringcontinued004_zpsd50c87f8.jpg

Edit: I agree about the streaking from limescale for locos from this area. It is spot on for engines from, say, the Peaks but for Lancashire, West Riding and Cumbria, the water is lovely and soft. My Mum has had the same kettle for years and there is no limescale in it whatsoever, whereas mine in Oxford seems to be growing a rockery !

Edited by Sandside
  • Like 8

The fine 'dirty rust' misting on cylinder fronts (as you've got on 5026) was caused by steam and water and is a very typical effect on slightly down at heel locos although it could as easily be found on locos in otherwise clean condition.

I also think that a contributory factor to this common effect is the simple action of what ever is on the rail surface (particularly on a wet day) being 'flicked' back towards the cylinder front by the leading wheel as it travels forward. You get precisely the same effect if you ride your bike on a rainy day without mudguards!! :sarcastichand:

Quote from Dick Hardy's seminal 'Steam in the Blood' in a photo caption (p.47) of 70004 sparkling like a new pin, ready for the "Golden Arrow": 'On a dirty day she would come home covered with mud and dirt from end to end'!

• Like 2

I'd go further than Stationmasters very sage advice about studying the area you model - Use a photo of the actual machine you are weathering, you can't go wrong then! Something Ive done on all of mine, that way no know it all can say its wrong :sungum:

Who'd have thought that a discussion of the colour of the inside of a tender coal space could be so interesting? It's typical of this thread, though, that Jason describes and photographs the latest step in the building of Bacup; this stimulates informed comment and advice; appropriate modifications are made and photographed and ... A virtuous circle indeed!

Edit: underlining.

Edited by bluebottle
  • Like 2

Another thing to consider with the inside of the coal space in tenders, is the abrasive action of the coal itself. Coal dropped from any height which then slides down the slope of the tender inside, removes paint and rust and will leave a shiny metallic surface. In the case of the 8F and black 5, the coal in the tender covers this nicely - but it is one to consider if you want to model an almost empty tender.

Andy

• RMweb Premium

Jason, the weathering on the Ivatt is superb, with just the right amount of grot and rust on the boiler and handrails.

I hope you are able to dismantle Bacup with minimal damage during your forthcoming move. It gets better every time I look at it. The attention to detail is quite fantastic!

Jeff

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Jason, if Damian offers to help you move the layout with the help of some of his 'fine touch' modelling tools then beware and search him for crowbar, circular saw and sledge hammer!!!

• Like 2

A couple more in progress. Maybe a bit too much metalcote gunmetal for the 3f? 

I have a photo of 43734 in Rochdale on a parcels working (of all things). I'm sure Andy C knows the very shot I am talking about :)

Weatheringcontinued005_zps641b91d3.jpg

Ivatt 2MT 46406. The cabside numbers are possibly a tiny bit wonky on this side, much better on the other but showing that side would be cheating. 

Weatheringcontinued008_zpsf6460134.jpg

How 46406 used to look (when it was 46426), after a really poor weathering attempt a few years ago, pictured on the previous layout. Hopefully it is looking better now...

2mtdrawsintostation.jpg

Both together

Weatheringcontinued010_zpsc8f6e088.jpg

Cracking weathering there Jason.

Andy

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

I've not been up to much recently, what with the impending move. However, I have been tinkering away at a couple of things.

Firstly, adding the low railings to the other pavement under the road bridge, still in need of weathering. The telegraph pole needs straightening out

ProgressMay2013001_zps3be365ef.jpg

ProgressMay2013002_zps01643a83.jpg

Secondly, numbering the two Cambrian ex-LMS 5 plank wagons and the Hornby LMS brake van I messed around with ages ago, with HMRS Methfix numbers. I thought renumbering locos was fiddly; I was wrong. I swear that I went cross-eyed trying to get them aligned, etc.

ProgressMay2013003_zps78088467.jpg

Edit: Yes, individual numbers :(

Edited by Sandside
  • Like 3

A couple more in progress. Maybe a bit too much metalcote gunmetal for the 3f? 

I have a photo of 43734 in Rochdale on a parcels working (of all things). I'm sure Andy C knows the very shot I am talking about :)

Weatheringcontinued005_zps641b91d3.jpg

I

Yes indeed Jason and its a bit of a snap situation as 43734 is on New Hey working the evening Oldham / Stoke parcels. The loco at the time was allocated to Rose Grove - Richard Greenwood can tell you in graphic detail just how much these Midland machines were hated by the ex L and Y men up there, they were sent out on this working as often as possible in the forlorn hope that they would never come back!

It was inevitable as such I'd do it for New Hey on the short parcels - theres another photo of it in the Jeff Wells books at Jubilee Crossing just coming out of New Hey on the same working, thats the train I've modelled - just got to get round to the EM conversion of the Loco!

Secondly, numbering the two Cambrian ex-LMS 5 plank wagons and the Hornby LMS brake van I messed around with ages ago, with HMRS Methfix numbers. I thought renumbering locos was fiddly; I was wrong. I swear that I went cross-eyed trying to get them aligned, etc.

ProgressMay2013003_zps78088467.jpg

Edit: Yes, individual numbers :(

Excellent job, but the Oxford English Dictionary ought to include this as an example in their entry for the word "masochism"!

• RMweb Premium

You know, I'm still not sure what colour to paint the bridge. At the moment, it is GWR Wagon Grey, which I am sure is not right.

• RMweb Premium

I've not been up to much recently, what with the impending move. However, I have been tinkering away at a couple of things.

Firstly, adding the low railings to the other pavement under the road bridge, still in need of weathering. The telegraph pole needs straightening out

ProgressMay2013001_zps3be365ef.jpg

ProgressMay2013002_zps01643a83.jpg

............................etc

Hi Jason.

This is looking really great but I wouldn't worry too much about that telegraph pole.

Have a look at this one! Former railway station, Widmerpool, Nottinghamshire.

2770253_4b91e075.jpg

Polly

Edit: delete delete duplicate

Edited by southern42
  • Like 3