Bacup - Mills in the hills

Jason T

It's funny, having built the layout whilst living in Oxfordshire, I now find myself surrounded with the kind of buildings, etc., that I have been trying to capture in model form for the past 18 months. Out on the bike again tonight (local ride) and saw loads that I would like to try to recreate.

I think that's called attention to detail and refusing to compromise! I can't wait to see what you do with the West Riding!

Regards

Bill

Edited by Mythocentric

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Morning Jason,

Nice to see Bacup up and running again! also is that a window in the room? must feel quite luxurious after the loft...  :sungum:

Edit, Yep, love the 'Box Brownie' shot of 5026, full of schoolboy enthusiasm rather than photographic skill! 

Edited by Worsdell forever

• RMweb Premium

Hi Paul,

yep, it's nice to have a proper window although the majority of the layout is tucked away in the dark unfortunately. I've been looking at your lighting pelmet construction and at some point, will be making a really shoddy version of it for Bacup :)

Hi Terry,

they are here: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/68948-new-4mm-bufferstops-new/

Basically, Dave at Lanarkshire Models has made it his role in life to provide us all with fantastic buffer stops, with choices galore :)

Yes and there's more to come over the next few months, not just Scottish ones either. Thanks for the glowing review Jason.

The layout's looking V good. Wish my own was getting on so well, just two more fiddleyard boards to build and I've got a 'circle'..... Woo - Hoo. :locomotive:

Can I suggest though, the stops in the platform roads should have some old heavy loco buffers and red oil lamp on. Board of Trade regs. or something. Have a look in your scrap boxes, I may have something in mine which might do you if not.

All the best,

Dave Franks

• Like 1

Hi Jason

Great to see some new pics of Bacup.

I really love the 'box brownie' shot of the Black 5, I had to read the caption to realise that it wasn't a reference prototype shot. I presume you lifted the luminance in Photoshop and burned out the highlights? To be honest, that is exactly what some good photographers do to get that sort of soft period feel to their photos.

That is what the great Gordon Wills, Oscar winning photographer for 'The Godfather' films, and Woody Allen's 'Manhattan'.

I must check out the buffer stops too, you may have to take a commission judging by the previous comments.

Looking really good.

Jamie

Edited by Jamiel

Glad to read you are back in business with the layout. What 'red' did you use on the station canopy supports and other LMR railway structures? Trying to capture what I see on old cine and what I remember in the old cranium is proving very elusive.

As regards where you are now living, I am envious! A cousin has moved to Hebden and so a visit is a must.

• RMweb Premium

Pretty sure I used Precision Paint's BR Maroon Larry, followed by letting it down a bit with a couple of light washes.

Let me know when you are Hebden bound - it's only 30 minutes from here :)

Just to be boring, can I give a warning about windows and models? Sunlight streaming through can seriously damage your models - a friend of mine left a plastic coach on a window sill which turned into a banana on bogies one summer! In view of the fact that your buildings are made of styrene (even if only in part), I'd worry about leaving them exposed in front of a window. Bacup is such a splendid model it would be a great shame to have any part of it damaged.

David C

i Jason, its great to have you back on page one, I like the ballast pics and Jeff's ones are inspiring me to tidy up my ballasting process when I start again. Your shots with the ash are just great, thanks for posting them for us.

Bodgit

P.S. LOVED THAT BLACK 5 SHOT. :sungum:

Quote: Pretty sure I used Precision Paint's BR Maroon Larry, followed by letting it down a bit with a couple of light washes.

Let me know when you are Hebden bound - it's only 30 minutes from here :)

Hi Jason

Good to see you back in harness! Just a quick footnote to add that Humbrol 73 Matt Wine gives you a nice representation of faded BR maroon.

I do like that shot of the Black 5. It reminds me of the prototype results I used to get from my old Zenit B SLR (I'm sure some of the 'old codgers' on here will remember them!)

Regards

Bill Edited by Mythocentric

• RMweb Gold

Echo the window remark. You may be modelling days when the sky was so gritty up north that the sun hardly got through but that's not the case these days. Some kind of blind to keep the sun off unless you are in there makes sense.

Don

ps it does have the right atmosphere.

• RMweb Premium

Great to see you and Bacup back in business.

Box Brownie 'look' - wow - in colour.  Only remember ours in B&W.  I had to wait until I'd passed from a Brownie 127 to a Halina Rolls 35mm before I had access to colour:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:   I  saved up for it out of my Saturday Job earnings....took me weeks...and weeks... :boredom:

Love the Black 5, too.  It's more captivating the 'other' side of the platform. Nicely composed, Jason.

Polly

• RMweb Gold

It was actually a model of a Steiermarkische Landesbahnen vehicle .... (I kid you not!)

David C

ISTR doing a trip from Unzmarkt to Mauterndorf on that system.

An almost more important effect of direct sun can be on paintwork. Faded paint my be prototypical, but it looks awful when one half of your model has lost its original shade, or worse still half of one side, due to some other model providing shade for part of it!

• RMweb Premium

I'm glad to report that the venetian blinds are now down; hadn't given the sunlight any thought so thanks for the reminder folks.

Other than lowering a blind, I've been pressing on with what seems to be the flavour of the season, ballasting. most of the ash ballast is now down and to an acceptable depth (2-3 layers). What needs to be done now is to darken it all up somewhat. It all looks a bit too regular too and whilst I will add a few weeds and the like, I don't want to go overboard and make it look like the real yard did in 1966 (basically, a field with dozens of 16 Tonners dotted around), but to make it look a bit more tended to.

I'm still very happy with my watered-down Copydex painted in method; no clumping at all and everything is stuck down :)

ash002_zps09e20a64.jpg

The experiments with the Daler Rowney Texture Paste have gone pretty well too. At first I was worried that it didn't spread too well but basically I was getting carried away and trying to apply too much at once. So, with three thinner layers applied, I have built up the surface I required and filled all gaps and rough bits. However, I then painted it with Green Scene's Texture Paint - really not convinced with this stuff at all as it just looks too gravelly and shiny, and is an ar$e to paint on too. I'll most likely rub the gravelly bits off a bit and then repaint the surface with something more suitable.

TexturePaste002_zpsce7983f8.jpg

This is the pasted area in the foreground

ash001_zpsca833173.jpg

Maybe it'll look better with more (normal) paint splodged on top...

ash006_zps7d32288b.jpg

• Like 11