Bacup - Mills in the hills

Jason T

• RMweb Gold

if the preious room meant you created a layout that exploited the space available brilliantly, some of the possible views on this new version are mouth watering and fully justify the care and effort you put into this. Excellent!! Can't wait to see what happens next.

Alastair M

Edited by A Murphy

• RMweb Premium

I am also chuffed that the above shot shows off the different ground levels of the layout pretty well. I really wanted to avoid 'flat earth' and it looks like I have achieved it :)

Not everything Ian, in fact the row of houses climbing up to the overbridge have a plain car back to them, which is what I see from where I am currently sat. Not really an issue though as at some point, I'll be looking at the back of a backscene board instead!

Ah! is this a firm promise that "Bacup" will be exhibited?

The layout does look even better now you've got a bit of elbow room!

Edit:  I'm one of those who will retain a nostalgic affection for the 1:1 brick wall. Such is the contrariness of the human heart!

Edited by bluebottle

• RMweb Premium

The moving of the layout was a royal PITA so it's highly unlikely to ever be exhibited. I was maybe a bit paranoid but I wrapped each building up in bubblewrap and placed them very carefully in boxes, packed out so they couldn't move around. However, as the buildings are removeable, then some of them will appear on the next (additional?) layout, which will be built with exhibitions in mind.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

A royal PITA - sounds like something Prince Philip would come out with - never seen that acronym before!

Photo in post 1252 is so different, it really is like seeing a new layout. Very good. You ARE going to have some fun in your new domain!

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Some more shots from the new end......

A Cravens sits awaiting custom. Shame the monitor is so dominant in the background:

DMU008_zpsb4665994.jpg

A dark and grainy shot of the same DMU, with a Black Five visible through the canopy, as it rests in the headshunt. I quite like this despite the darkness; to me, it looks like the sort of shot captured with your average camera back then

DMU011_zpsa9662391.jpg

Remember this building? It's the row of houses along the back, which were initially intended to go where the (as yet un-signed) Farhole Tavern resides. I added the signage and a bit of detail to the cafe before deciding the original location wasn't right.

cafe_zpsf422b418.jpg

Edit: there used to be a woman sat at one of the tables in the cafe; God knows where she has gone :)

Edited by Sandside
  • Like 19

• RMweb Premium

Something I'd all but forgotten about; I put some basic interior detail into the station building. Excuse the scruffy windows, this was made when I was still learning:

Fireplace through the cloudy glass. Each room has one, as well as floorboards

cafe007_zps58b671a5.jpg

Booking office screens and windows. This was, if I recall, a pain in the backside to do

cafe004_zps58b64b1b.jpg

• Like 11

• RMweb Gold

The new angles almost make it look like we are seeing the layout for the first time - all over again. Love the interiors, and the woman in the pub obviously popped out to powder her nose.

Well done on the smooth move.

A dark and grainy shot of the same DMU, with a Black Five visible through the canopy, as it rests in the headshunt. I quite like this despite the darkness; to me, it looks like the sort of shot captured with your average camera back then

post-7286-0-54595400-1370543051.jpg

This could lead to a series, on the "creative photography" thread, of images captured on 16 meg DSLRs and photoshopped to look like they were taken on a Kodak Brownie 127!

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

The only comment I'd have about the grainy DMU photo is the camera angle is too high... If you could get a lower angle, as if you were a 6ft person standing in the yard, looking up at the DMU, it would, in my opinion, be more lifelike.

I really like the long shot showing the mill & houses in the far distance.

• RMweb Gold

Jason,

I also like the pictures from the "other end"  You must be pleased with the way it has worked out.

Are the fireplaces scratch built or bought.  They look better through the window than mine do with the roof off.

If the lady is not at the table I hope she paid before she left the cafe!

Must say I like the new angles even better than the old ones. I have been following this layout for a while now and I am impressed with the results. In some ways it will be a shame to see it finished. Now you have a bit more room, will you extend into the country ? It's layouts like this, Peterborough North and Greenfield that have me researching old maps to see what it was like in their heyday.

• RMweb Premium

I scratchbuilt the fireplaces with offcuts of Plastikard. With the station building having such large windows, I had to add an interior.

Hi Jason,

I have enjoyed looking at the recent 'reverse-angle' pictures, including the very nice one of the DMU (2nd shot). It looks like a completely different layout. All the work put in on the houses etc. has really paid off as they make a terrific background to the railway.

All the best,

Colin

That ground level view is spectacular Jason! Now that side is so much more usable, maybe a chance to add a little bit of darker weathering or deposits on the track and ballast around where the trains stand?

Iain