Bacup - Mills in the hills

Jason T

The only comment I'd have about the grainy DMU photo is the camera angle is too high... If you could get a lower angle, as if you were a 6ft person standing in the yard, looking up at the DMU, it would, in my opinion, be more lifelike.

I really like the long shot showing the mill & houses in the far distance.

It was probably taken standing on the seat of his bike, which was leaning against the wall!

Wally

• RMweb Premium

Jason old fruit, not been here for a while and all has changed! Glad the move went well, certainly looks worthwhile for a better layout room. I think we'll have to have a collection for you though to get you a nice flat cap. I trust you'll be getting a nice three speed Stanley Archer bike too.....

• RMweb Premium

Jason old fruit, not been here for a while and all has changed! Glad the move went well, certainly looks worthwhile for a better layout room. I think we'll have to have a collection for you though to get you a nice flat cap. I trust you'll be getting a nice three speed Stanley Archer bike too.....

Funny you should mention the above Chris, as this weekend's rather hectic schedule of thinking Sod Unpacking has included, amongst other things:

Mountain biking over at Hebden Bridge (18 gears - 2x9 rather than 3) with a mate

Removing the last bits of Peco track from the layout and replacing it with SMP

Trip to Aire Valley Cycles in Keighley

Seeing 90002 (Std 4mt) in steam at both Keighley and Haworth

Seeing the 4F in steam at Haworth

Trying on a flat cap in a shop in Haworth

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Did you spot the L&Y buffer stop in one of the photos, Dave? Only put one together so far and it is still very silver but I can report that it is lovely.

I have the seed for a new, exhibitable layout germinating in my head, somewhat smaller but it would share some of the buildings with Bacup. I have to go to the wood yard soon to get supplies to make the new FY for Bacup so I might just buy some extra timber whilst I am there :)

• Like 2

Did you spot the L&Y buffer stop in one of the photos, Dave? Only put one together so far and it is still very silver but I can report that it is lovely.

I have the seed for a new, exhibitable layout germinating in my head, somewhat smaller but it would share some of the buildings with Bacup. I have to go to the wood yard soon to get supplies to make the new FY for Bacup so I might just buy some extra timber whilst I am there :)

Yes I did but I wanted to be sure so I've waited for you to mention it. In the period your doing you could have a mixture of types - L&Y, LMS and BR. I've done that on 'Wharfeside' and I've still got a couple more Midland types to do so the lye could have a MR heavy type on the end. So little time, so much to do. :scratchhead:

Keep up the good work.

All the best,

Dave Franks

I'll ride anything really, but I'm tending more towards being a road biker. I got into cycling due to my desire to cycle to work (19 miles each way). Started off on a rather basic mountain bike, but it was too heavy and slow (it's now stuck in the garage requiring a new freewheel and with the chain rusted solid). My road bike is also off the road waiting (endlessly) for a new bottom bracket and left crank. There's a really good Mountain bike run in the woods opposite where I live. I ventured on it with my MTB when it was running, but even descending slowly with the brakes more or less locked on, I still fell off :)

http://www.moredirt.co.uk/trail/United-Kingdom_Yorkshire--Humberside/Storthes-Hall/415/

... Seeing 90002 (Std 4mt) in steam at both Keighley and Haworth ....

WHAT?! The KWVR's somehow got from somewhere another 2-8-0 Austerity - and it's in steam? Jeez - how close-mouthed can you get?

Oh - wait a second - it's the Std 4mt (80002) - AAWWW, a typo!

Edited by bluebottle
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

I found some great riding when I lived in Hebden Bridge - those hills certainly gets you fit quickly. I remember the first place we went past from the house all ways seemed to be Slack Bottom and and Slack Top. If you ever get the chance, pop over to Heptonstall as well - a very historic place with a good pub that has a photogenic ruined church in the churchyard that would make an interesting model!

Oh, and maybe a wax jacket to go with the flat cap :)

• RMweb Premium

There is a cracking trail from Heptonstall down to the West end of Hebden, one of my favourites so far.

It's funny, having built the layout whilst living in Oxfordshire, I now find myself surrounded with the kind of buildings, etc., that I have been trying to capture in model form for the past 18 months. Out on the bike again tonight (local ride) and saw loads that I would like to try to recreate.

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

It's funny, having built the layout whilst living in Oxfordshire, I now find myself surrounded with the kind of buildings, etc., that I have been trying to capture in model form for the past 18 months.

Hi Jason

I thought you were going to say you had an urge to build some typical southern 1960s commuter semis.