Midland Main Line Electrification

• RMweb Gold

http://www.northantstelegraph.co.uk/news/top-stories/east-midlands-trains-considers-increasing-number-of-tracks-between-kettering-and-market-harborough-1-7295059

The above article appeared in the local news last week. It should stir up the natives.

I haven't spotted any significant changes on the Corby line of late, but then I haven't been able to get out to look.

Last night however there was a colourful visitor to the line just before sundown hence the rather grainy warm shot. Shown on RTT as just a locomotive I was not expecting the train and the tail end charlie, a well disguised all yellow NR class 73 and as I was too close to the bridge to get a going away shot, I didn't managed to get the number either.

Geoff

post-224-0-52526000-1459519926.jpg

73141 leads 1Z88, the 17:45 Derby R.T.C.(Network Rail) to Hither Green Down Recp. towards Kettering at the Glendon Iron Coy’s bridge, 3 minutes late at 18:30 on Thursday 31 March 2016.

• Like 2

I'd say no chance of four-tracking throughout between Kettering and Leicester.  There's only one intermediate station so fast and slow train journey times will be fairly similar, and the opportunity to add loops with the Market Harborough remodelling if a capacity increment is needed. Freight trains can of course go via Corby, where capacity is also being increased. 

I wonder if the journo has the wrong end of the stick here. 

Edited by Edwin_m

Think the journalist (in the link from post 410) may have been reading the East Midlands Route Study* which came out recently and had the four-tracking described as one of many options:

"This option considers the requirement to introduce four tracks between Kettering North Junction and Kilby Bridge Junction, with the ability to cross from one line to another at high speed near Kilby Bridge Junction."

"Indicative cost £875 million – £1.875 billion"

and 

"Although not required to meet 2023 conditional outputs, the two-track layout and services with different speeds, limit capacity and available train paths."

(my translation: it's a bit of a bottleneck but we can live with it for now)

*Sorry, I've got the PDF, but not the link where I downloaded it from.

Edited by eastwestdivide

I wonder if the journo has the wrong end of the stick here.

Hi,

That'll explain in the error that EMT was considering building the extra tracks, Train Operating Companies can't construct infrastructure on the nations railway on their own. They can fund a GRIP 2 feasibility study from infrastructure projects, and can continue funding it, but Network Rail are the people who modify the infrastructure.

Simon

• 3 months later...
Guest B Exam

I heard that line to Corby was shut to enable double tracking, that correct?

Its being double tracked at present. Kettering-Corby shut on most Sundays at the moment to enable the double tracking to take place.

The Kettering - Corby section is to close for 7 weeks from Sept 11th whilst a total blockade is in place to realign the current running lines and replace signalling.

There's been no official communication to customers yet and East Mids Trains I understand are awaiting the final dates from Network Rail before anything is published regarding alternative services etc.

It seems like a bit of a sledghammer to crack a nut but evidently it's the only way to do it without extending the timescale for the job. Given that there's no rolling stock to increase frequency on the line until 2019 at least, I can't see that should be a problem.

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

The first week of the blockade between Kettering and Corby. The line is still open through Corby station from the north to allow the Margam to BSC steel coil trains to run. Glendon Iron Coy's bridge is due for demolition around the 7th or 8th of October once the side arches have been filled so I have been told by a worker on site.

Geoff

29697078025_fcbd54c079_k.jpgUntitled by Geoffrey Robinson, on Flickr  

The site of the former Glendon South Junction. The current single line has been partially lifted to permit work on the track bed. A length of the new down line can be seen extending through the Glendon Road bridge. There is a further section running north from just round the curve and through the Glendon Iron Coy’s bridge. Wednesday 14 September 2016.29661329476_9d1a71b7e8_k.jpgUntitled by Geoffrey Robinson, on Flickr

Glendon Iron Coy’s Bridge. Bridge 1 on the Manton line just north of the former Glendon South Junction. Wednesday 14 September 2016. The side arches are to bricked up to strengthen them before demolition of the main arch.

29615831551_5e00c5e17c_b.jpgUntitled by Geoffrey Robinson, on Flickr

The original bridge over the A6003 at Storefield which is to be replaced. Tuesday 13 September 2016.

29696848715_f7c4340664_h.jpgUntitled by Geoffrey Robinson, on Flickr 

Harper’s Brook viaduct, Gt. Oakley. Tuesday 13 September 2016.

29661136256_01621590c5_h.jpgUntitled by Geoffrey Robinson, on Flickr

Edited by geoff
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Week two of the blockade and work continues at the Glendon Iron Coy’s bridge.

Geoff

29300212794_c1d88cbe85_z.jpgUntitled by Geoffrey Robinson, on Flickr

29300837843_febe6f731d_z.jpgUntitled by Geoffrey Robinson, on Flickr

29844272471_d5c7ed814f_z.jpgUntitled by Geoffrey Robinson, on Flickr

29927528035_d1946e3d88_z.jpgUntitled by Geoffrey Robinson, on Flickr

Week two of the blockade and work continues at the Glendon Iron Coy’s bridge. The truck is standing on the new down line.

Do I see the remains of a tramway in the bridge with the guy in Hi-Vis?

Keith

I'd agree that it looks very much like it but I don't think that bridge ever had rails across it. From memory it only ever carried road traffic.

• RMweb Premium

I'd agree that it looks very much like it but I don't think that bridge ever had rails across it. From memory it only ever carried road traffic.

Looking at some old OS maps the Glendon Iron Ore works tramway got very close to that bridge but I haven't found any evidence of it actually crossing it!

https://www.old-maps.co.uk/#/Map/487500/278500/12/101253

Keith

you need to scroll north a bit

Edited by melmerby

• RMweb Gold

Looking at some old OS maps the Glendon Iron Ore works tramway got very close to that bridge but I haven't found any evidence of it actually crossing it!

https://www.old-maps.co.uk/#/Map/487500/278500/12/101253

Keith

you need to scroll north a bit

I paid another visit to site today and spoke to some of the workers at the Glendon Iron Coy's bridge. They confirmed there was no evidence of a tramway over the bridge. the 'rails' you could see on my photograph were marks made by the forks of the front loader which delivered the plates to cover the hole in the bridge surface prior to the infill being applied. The old map referenced above confirms no tramway crossing the bridge.

Geoff

• RMweb Gold

Any more recent pictures?

Three photos from a visit to the Glendon Iron Coy's bridge today. Talking to some of the guys on site they say the demolition of the centre arch will be on Monday 10 October 2016. The side arches have been filled with a foam impregnated concrete.

29523032753_03a8779e76_k.jpgUntitled by Geoffrey Robinson, on Flickr

30067281441_7b20bb4663_k.jpgUntitled by Geoffrey Robinson, on Flickr

29523034543_8d64d4fc6f_k.jpgUntitled by Geoffrey Robinson, on Flickr

Edited by geoff
  • Like 4

Interesting to see light coloured staining where the chimney blast would have been. 

Something to do with the chemical composition of the bricks and the acid/alkali(?) nature of the stuff from the chimney??

Or just coincidental water staining?

• RMweb Gold

The light coloured staining, as opposed to the white painted area which was a sighting area for the Glendon South Junction Home, is not above the current running line. It is above the new down line which has not yet been commissioned.

Geoff

• RMweb Gold

Some photographs taken today at Storefield where the line crosses the A6003 road between Kettering and Rockingham and a couple of pictures of the Harper's Brook viaduct which is being extensively renovated and strengthened.

Geoff

29542149223_e5c22c64ac_h.jpgUntitled by Geoffrey Robinson, on Flickr

29542345894_cb7aadba34_h.jpgUntitled by Geoffrey Robinson, on Flickr

29542346734_8bbf3a27a6_h.jpg

Work continues at the bridge across the A6003 at Storefield in preparation for the replacement of the steel span across the southbound carriageway which is scheduled for the 14 to 17 of October 2016.
The work shown in the photograph is to cut out most of the mortar between the abutment and the support plinth. On the day of the lift the crane will take the weight and wedges are to be driven in to the cut to break the remaining mortar bond so that the bridge and its supporting plinth can be lifted out as a unit. The replacement bridge complete with its support plinth will be lowered into place.

Untitled by Geoffrey Robinson, on Flickr

30171149445_5df91bb570_k.jpg

These are the new spans for the A6003 crossing at Storefield. They are being prepared for lifting in complete with their support pads and external walkway. The additional steelwork for the walkway is yet to be installed. The existing span over the northbound carriageway is to remain as it is comparatively new and does have an internal walkway.

30171151885_f75766e30f_k.jpgUntitled by Geoffrey Robinson, on Flickr

30136578106_b92f8c98d7_h.jpg

Harper’s Brook viaduct, Oakley.

30136577006_5c6b92a40e_h.jpgUntitled by Geoffrey Robinson, on Flickr

Edited by geoff
  • Like 3