Midland Main Line Electrification

MML is supposed to run in parallel with GWML, with Nottingham/Derby due to be wired in 2019 and Sheffield a bit later. So it won't be the same teams as GWML.

Wellingborough, Kettering and Corby will see electric services in December 2017, Leicester will probably be wired a year later but won't see services until the wires reach Derby and Nottingham in 2019. It's not totally clear how this will affect the franchise plan but the assumption is that Thameslink will assume responsibility for the half hourly services as far as Corby and EMT will lose their Wellingborough, Luton and Bedford services at the next franchise round, Kettering becoming the main interchange. PR in connection with the project has already mentioned services from Corby to Brighton. Stock for this hasn't been mentioned but sadly seems unlikely to be of the standard of the current Meridians.

The work on the bridges as far as Kettering is almost done, only a handful left to rebuild, and clearing the track bed for doubling work on the Corby line has made the space ready for the trackgangs to move in. Huge amounts of foliage have been cleared between Glendon and Corby over the winter and the trees around the original down platform have been cut back in readiness for the platform work which is due to begin in May I'm told. There's four bridges on the Corby line to alter but one of these may be demolished altogether.

Edited by RANGERS
  • Like 1

(quote button doesn't seem to be working but I am replying to RANGERS)

Thanks for this.  This suggests that Corby will get class 700 units as they are the only ones that will operate through the Thameslink core, which have already been criticised for the high-density seating layout, lack of tables in Standard etc.  On the GN and south of London the longer-distance passengers will have the choice of something more comfortable, albeit at the cost of an extra change of train in some cases.  If this isn't also provided on the MML then most of the Corby passengers will probably decamp onto the longer-distance trains at Kettering, which rather defeats the object of providing more capacity. 

I wonder if this presages a sub-fleet of 700s with a more outer-suburban type interior (and how would this work with the short dwell times in the core?).  My suspicion is that when it is thought about in a bit more detail the result will be a half-hourly semi-fast from St Pancras to Corby using something similar to the Electrostar units currently on Thameslink.  Although there are only four platforms at St Pancras their utilisation should improve when the Nottingham and Sheffield fasts use the same type of unit and can interwork.  I can also see the EMT successor keeping some calls at Luton Airport Parkway, as there is probably reasonable patronage between there and north of Kettering. 

With any luck the morning Melton Mowbray and evening return will retain Meridians for as long as they're available. No idea what will happen beyond 2020 for this service, unless it transfers to Virgin EC? still Stagecoach controlled.

Just seen in the latest Rail that teams are being trained at Wirksworth.  I believe that test gantries ahve already been erected.

Jamie

I've seen that too.

Should start to see some masts soon then?

Quote button still not working and I can't even copy and paste the text, but replying to RANGERS again. 

I can't see the train via Melton continuing, as it was essentially put on as a means of getting the Corby unit to and from shed in Derby.  Once this becomes an EMU that won't be possible, and depending where the fleet is based it might not be necessary either.  It might continue if the next Government is serious enough about electric freight to electrify from Corby to Syston (probably as part of a Felixstowe-Nuneaton scheme) which would get the freight off the congested double track through Market Harborough. 

Similarly the Leeds extensions of MML trains will probably disappear, as they are manly run to get the HST fleet to and from Neville Hill.  Even if a Sheffield-Leeds route is electrified the MML electric fleet will probably be based further south. 

I can't see the train via Melton continuing, as it was essentially put on as a means of getting the Corby unit to and from shed in Derby.  Once this becomes an EMU that won't be possible, and depending where the fleet is based it might not be necessary either.  It might continue if the next Government is serious enough about electric freight to electrify from Corby to Syston (probably as part of a Felixstowe-Nuneaton scheme) which would get the freight off the congested double track through Market Harborough. 

Similarly the Leeds extensions of MML trains will probably disappear, as they are manly run to get the HST fleet to and from Neville Hill.  Even if a Sheffield-Leeds route is electrified the MML electric fleet will probably be based further south.

Sounds like a worse service all round.

• RMweb Premium

I'm not sure how that will go down with the MML franchisee as the services from Leeds and Wakefield probably give them a hefty slice of the revenue under the Orcats formula and I can't see them letting that revenue stream go lightly.

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208

Can't see the burghers of Melton and Oakham taking the loss of a direct London service lying down somehow!

Patronage on the route has grown and regularly sees 20-30 folks a good day, many of whom have moved North as a result of the easy commute, although it would be interesting to see if it can stand the cost of running it as a separate entity. There's also the long mooted prospect of direct services to the North via Corby, Oakham and Melton, the current one a day which extend beyond Melton is of little use unless you want to go to Melton or Derby from Corby for a day out.

The Northbound connections at Kettering for Corby passengers are also dreadful, most involve a wait of 30mins+ made all the more galling by seeing Northbound trains depart as Corby trains arrive! An average journey time from Corby to Leicester is about 80 mins for 25 miles when the 80 miles to London is covered in just 75mins with four stops. The odd thing is EMT seem mystified as to why northbound revenues from Corby are so pitiful, it's almost as though they want to strangle growth by making it as unattractive as possible.

• RMweb Premium

I'm not sure how that will go down with the MML franchisee as the services from Leeds and Wakefield probably give them a hefty slice of the revenue under the Orcats formula and I can't see them letting that revenue stream go lightly.

Jamie

If it co-incides with a new franchise, the bidders will be able to take that into account in their bids.

20-30 people, probably on season tickets, is enough to run the train as a passenger service that would be running anyway as empty stock, but not to run an extra service especially as it would need to be a DMU or a bi-mode which the franchise would not otherwise have much use for.  However I think an open access operator has expressed an interest in this route. 

Hopefully the Corby northward connections can be improved in a future timetable.  The single line between Kettering and Corby is a constraint at present but this will be doubled as part of the electrification. 

If I recall correctly the remit for the current EMT franchise said that Leeds services were optional but the franchisee could provide them if they wanted to, for which presumably read "if they made a net profit from them".  They have the benefit of providing some of the early southbound and late northbound services between Sheffield and Nottingham, so if they were taken off a couple more 158s might have to fill in for them. 

• 1 month later...

apparently work to electrify the Midland main line has entered the next phase as work on the trackside gets underway. 

Piling work for the equipment which will support the wires that will power electric trains starts between Bedford and Kettering this month, with the first electric trains set to run to Corby by 2017.

Most of the work will be carried out at night to enable the railway to remain open for passenger and freight services during large parts of the construction work.

that will be nice if you are trying to sleep whilst they are pile driving!

• Like 1

apparently work to electrify the Midland main line has entered the next phase as work on the trackside gets underway. 

Piling work for the equipment which will support the wires that will power electric trains starts between Bedford and Kettering this month, with the first electric trains set to run to Corby by 2017.

Most of the work will be carried out at night to enable the railway to remain open for passenger and freight services during large parts of the construction work.

that will be nice if you are trying to sleep whilst they are pile driving!

Get your shots in while you can then

Coming to a favourite photographic location near you.................soon

17569803292_9184bc87aa_b.jpgCholsey ruined! 12th May 15' by LusitaniaD225, on Flickr

• Like 3

I notice all EMT services South of Kettering are suspended over the bank holiday weekend suggesting there's some extensive works imminent.

The former station yard at Geddington has been cleared, made secure and surfaced with hardcore, presumably as a works yard and the same with the former shed yard at Bedford. EMT tell us there will be some limited disruption to late night/ early services during the works which they said would commence in earnest with the first masts in July.

The foliage has been stripped right back between Kettering and Corby and ballast laying has commenced ahead of slewing the single track to make way for the second track. The platform and footbridge works At Corby are also due to start in the coming months.

The indication was that Wellingborough is going to present the biggest challenge in the initial phase with realigning of all the lines at various points and ultimately a new station close to the former Irchester station site.

The Southern section is fairly easy compared to the line North of Kettering. The track below both Leicester and Nottingham stations is to be lowered which will mean lengthy closures of two lines at a time.

The track below both Leicester and Nottingham stations is to be lowered which will mean lengthy closures of two lines at a time.

Does that mean that the extensive track alterations at Nottingham a couple of years ago, didn't take into consideration the forthcoming electrification?

i find that hard to believe.....

Does that mean that the extensive track alterations at Nottingham a couple of years ago, didn't take into consideration the forthcoming electrification?

i find that hard to believe.....

Evidently so. We did question it but the EMT man insisted that although provision was made for lowering, the main station bridge would still require further work to provide adequate clearance. For some reason this couldn't be done during the previous works. Leicester has Victorian sewers beneath which need major reconstruction before any work to dig above them can start, there may be similar problems at Nottingham.

The discussion also revealed that there was some disappointment that the Erewash Valley line was excluded, eliminating a useful diversionary and freight route. The spec for the new units is still under discussion but unless they're hybrid, unlikely given they're for a fully electrified route, it will mean any services diverted away from Derby or Nottingham will need to be routed via the other, adding to delays.

• 3 weeks later...

The pace of work is starting to pick up. Piling works are well underway around Clapham and Oakley, just North of Bedford, and it looks as though a new junction has gone in allowing crossover from the down fast to slow lines. The total possession over the Bank Holiday weekend looks to have completed the bridge works and there's work to clear and surface the yard adjacent to the down sidings near Finedon Rd bridge underway.

The yard on the old loco shed at Bedford is servicing the piling works judging by the stack of piles being delivered there last week.

Interestingly it looks as though the existing overhead is being replaced at Radlett, there's a temporary access track been laid and several new masts have been installed adjacent to the existing. Hard to tell at 90mph mind so I could be wrong but there was talk that some of the existing was to be replaced and much of the electrical supply infrastructure is to be replaced to cope with the consumption of the increased number of trains on the line.

• 4 weeks later...

It would make some sense to extend the wires as far as Corby as an outer suburban operation - presumably the new Thameslink  fleet would be used and it would improve services /relieve pressure up to Kettering. It sounds as if work on the ground so far doesn't extend much further than this

Word is that work will be curtailed until the project is reviewed, possibly delaying any further progress by up to a year, but that is speculation.

As orders for the new trains for an all electric East Mids franchise will need to be placed by early 2017 to ensure availability for services to commence in 2019/ 20, the procurement process would need to be underway by the end of 2015, based on a 12 month timescale. The likelihood of that seems remote given today's announcement.

Given the position with cost and time overruns has been known for more than six months, to throw this in now smacks of a Government under pressure to cut budgets which would have been impossible to sell pre-election.

Best guess now is that with HS2 on the horizon, current MML plans for electrification North of Leicester will be in doubt and North of Nottingham/ Derby under serious threat. The protests from Sheffield etc will be offset with the promise of an even better connection to London via HS2, South Eastern style, but with the penalty of having to wait until HS2 is complete.

Best guess now is that with HS2 on the horizon, current MML plans for electrification North of Leicester will be in doubt and North of Nottingham/ Derby under serious threat. The protests from Sheffield etc will be offset with the promise of an even better connection to London via HS2, South Eastern style, but with the penalty of having to wait until HS2 is complete.

I don't think it's quite that bad. 

Leicester doesn't benefit at all from HS2 so will still require a fast and frequent service on the MML.  Operationally it makes sense to extend some of these further north instead of terminating trains at Leicester from both directions.  Also, particularly as the Breaston option for the East Midlands HS2 station seems to be fading out, the penny is dropping in the region that London journeys from Nottingham and Derby changing at Toton will be no quicker than the existing route.  So if life isn't be sucked out of the city centres it will be essential to maintain at least the current frequency with journey times a bit better than today's.  Electrification around Nottingham and Derby would also facilitate regional services using HS2 between the East Midlands and further north. 

The situation may be a bit more marginal for Sheffield, where the greater distance and easier classic rail link to Meadowhall probably tilts the preference for London journeys towards HS2.